National Theatre Live: A StreetCar named Desire with Gillian Anderson

Watch
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone :hi:

Spring has Sprung and during the lockdown I've been watching the National Theatre Live streams on their Youtube Channel.

Every Thursday at 7pm they've been putting on some amazing theatre for us all to watch at home.

Current show you can watch until this coming Thursday:
Inua Ellams' acclaimed Barber Shop Chronicles streaming now:

[On until 7pm on Thursday 21 May.]

Coming soon:

A Streetcar Named Desire
Spoiler:
Show

Gillian Anderson plays Blanche DuBois in the critically acclaimed Young Vic production of Tennessee Williams' classic play.
[Streaming from 7pm Thursday 22 May until 28 May.]

This House - A timely, moving and funny insight into the workings of 1970s British politics by James Graham.
[Streaming from 7pm Thursday 28 May until 4 June.]

Coriolanus - This Donmar Warehouse production features Tom Hiddleston in the title role of Shakespeare’s searing and political revenge tragedy.
[Streaming from 7pm Thursday 4 June until 11 June.]

Have you been watching these productions? Did you enjoy them? :woohoo:
Let us know below

Previous shows were:
One man two Guvnors, with James Corden as Francis Henshall
Jane Eyre
Treasure Island Featuring Arthur Darvill as Long John Silver.
Twelfth Night featuring Tamsin Greig as Malvolia.
Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch/Jonny Lee Miller alternating as the Creature/Dr Frankenstein
Anthony and Cleopatra - Sophie Okonedo and Ralph Fiennes
Last edited by CheeseIsVeg; 3 months ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Posting to subscribe. I love National Theatre Live content they've been producing, really good stuff.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
bit late but managed to watch the Streetcar Named Desire and it was truly breathtaking! :yy:
I really enjoyed Anderson's portrayal of the character and how flawless her accent was! :shock: amazing.
The whole play was really enjoyable and gripping because I didn't know the story so wasn't sure what was going to happen next.
Did you watch it too? What did you think? :ahee:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've been writing reviews of the NTL shows I've seen, will be posting them here roughly every day for the next week or so.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
James Graham's This House, a timely, moving and funny insight into the workings of 1970s British politics, streaming until 7pm UK time on 4 June.

The Donmar Warehouse production of Coriolanus, featuring Tom Hiddleston in the title role of Shakespeare’s searing and political revenge tragedy. Streams from Thursday 4 June at 7pm.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Anthony and Cleopatra

I've experienced several Shakespeare plays as an audience member, but this was the first time I'd seen Anthony and Cleopatra, or any of the Roman plays in fact. Overall I found myself very impressed. The acting in particular was phenomenal, especially from Sophie Okenadu's presentation of Cleopatra. Whereas Ralph Fiennes' Anthony was equally energised, but lends itself more to the core plot than poetic soliloquy. The cast had no weakness, and I was repeatedly envious of those on stage for their ability to act alongside such fantastic performers. The only think I felt lacking was for my understanding of Enabarbus's role within the narrative until much later in the act. This character very much offers the audience's perspective and I felt myself warming to him as the play went on, understanding his role more as it went along. I would have preferred to have understood the character's status and context much earlier than I did, but this may just be my own ignorance. The staging was done well, though sometimes it felt to me that the set was made too complex for the story being told. This could fairly easily have been performed on the Littleton stage, rather than Southbank's Olivier and been equally enjoyable. That said, the modern context and powerful performances led this to be a Shakespeare play that ought to be revered as an opportunity for actors to demonstrate their abilities to the fullest. Truly sublime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (0)
0%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
100%

Watched Threads