This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone tell me what is happening there and why is there conflict? I don’t want opinions just straight facts because I’m really confused?!

Thanks
J Zonda
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the end of WW2, the state of Israel was made to give all the Jews in the world a home country (Jews had existed all over the world for thousands of years but had nowhere to call home). Now where do we put this home country? You might think to put it in a place that no one wants like the American Midwest or Australian outback, but there was a place already reserved for the Jews*** (that last statement might stir up some shhh) called the "Promised Land" which at the time was in Palestine. At first the Palestinians were outraged that some strange group of people can just walk into their country and take their land but then America was all like "You better play along or we'll bomb you" so the Palestinians played along even though they just lost some of the most fertile and historically significant land (minus Bethlehem) that they had.

Problems became worse in the 70s when there were growing trends in the mistreatment of Palestinians by the Israelites, in a sense that Palestinians were not welcome in Israel, even though Israelites felt they were welcome anywhere. Also there's a bunch of horror stories about the Israeli Secret Service and how they "detain" Palestinians who were mostly innocent, I'll leave that out of this bit lol it's really horrible. So the Palestinians grew more and more restless until they had enough, In the 80s and 90s there were a lot of resistance movements done by the Palestinians to fight back, but as their efforts started to become effective, Israel asked for help from the USA and UK to "defend" their country as they couldn't hold off the onslaught if Palestine gained support, which they did with the Soviet Union and so came the Gulf War (not to mention the 7-days war). But as the Soviet Union collapsed and America prospered, so followed the fates of Palestine and Israel, respectively. Palestine is/was in shambles whereas Israel looks like a wealthy, sunny, European country and those disparities I think are what drive the conflict today.

Oh yea and there's a massive Trump wall to keep Palestinians out.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel...inian_conflict
You're going to struggle to get unbiased information on this one, I'm afraid. Every side is in the wrong by this point.
J Zonda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please enlighten me on these false narratives
J Zonda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry for writing Jews? If you're referring to the asterisks I put those in on purpose so people take that statement with a grain of salt
Anonnorth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can someone tell me what is happening there and why is there conflict? I don’t want opinions just straight facts because I’m really confused?!

Thanks
Have a look at the ancient history of the Middle East around and after the time of the Roman rule of the area onwards.

This will give you an insight as to why Israel was created where it has been.

From there look at the history of the conflicts since it was created, the declaration from all the surrounding states that they would erase Israel from the map and the wars it created.

Also the history and significance of Jerusalem to not just the Jewish faith but also Christianity and Islam.
Last edited by Anonnorth; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the replies

So basically... Israel was a country formed in Palestine after ww2 for Jews which the Palestinians were not happy about as it was there country so that’s why there is conflict and now Israel is much more powerful than Palestine.

Is this right, what I have gathered so far?!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
jews vs muslms, what else?
New Foil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s really not it
Anonnorth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You forgot the Jews fighting the British in Palestine just before Israel was founded as a separate country.
Broque_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All I can say is, the people who tell you that they have the most unbiased view, are more than likely to have the most biased view.
Prussianxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You haven't actually provided any evidence or argument. Someone saying that they don't believe the state of Israel should exist because it is literally stealing land which has then been supported by murder and terrorism isn't antisemitism.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Last I heard LSE wasn't the lowest of the low.
Show me one comment I made that implied religious hatred. Show me on. Ofc, that's what zionist love to do, falsely claim they are being racially prejudiced. Go cry to the mods IDGAF whether they ban me.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My grandparent(s) are very pro Palestine, they always went to rallies etc, my grandad would always check labels to make sure something, even fruit, wasn't made or produced in Israel. Whilst my mum is more pro Israeli. I'm generally more sympathetic to the palestinians, whilst recognising jewish people should have a state. There's no solution, unfortunately. But I hate nethanyahu. I also hate hamas, but most palestinians are very friendly and accepting. Whilst Jews are in theory native to that land and were there before the Palestinians (Arabs) its kind of a bit rich to turn up all those years later and demand to have a state. Like imagine if a load of Italians started demanding they had the right to annex Britain as part of italian territory because the Romans lived there. Or if Germany decided to annex England because of the Anglians and Saxons, or Denmark/Norway wanting to annex scotland. In my view, it should be a bi-national statre, but will never happen. The next best thing is for Jerusalem to be made an international Free City, like the Free City of Danzig between Poland and Germany prior to WW2, under UN control, with the israeli/palestinian border patrolled by UN troops. Whilst palestinians will be allowed to have a state in most of the west bank providing both sides agree they will not demand any further territorial concessions.
Nerdlinger250
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really opened a can of worms with this one OP.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Right, lets get some things straight.

1) Most Palestinian activists aren't even palestinians. Most of them are in the west and are white, some are leftists, some are neo-nazis. Some are just deluded.

2) Polls have shown that palestinians have increasingly approved of terrorism in recent years, but this usually coincides with israeli attacks on palestine.understandable

3) Jews, like any other people, are entitled to a state of their own. If you deny them that, then yes, you are an antisemite. However, there is no requirement for that state to be in the historical land of Israel. Israel needs to start to treat the palestinians with more respect. They are both semitic people.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The idea though of a two state solution is an odd one, and I doubt it will work. Both sides claim basically the same territory, especially hardliners in each respective camp, those who advocate for a Greater Israel and those who want a Greater Palestinian state. The jews can't have a single state as they will become a minority and they can't have that. But if palestinian statehood is achieved, the palestinians probably won't be allowed an army, an independent foreign policy, control of their borders etc. As said, the UN needs to take control of cities like Jersualem that are disputed.

Alternatively, I guess considerign most Jordanians are actually Palestinians, they could try and get tehri country to re-annex the West bank as they did before, and then try and turn Jordan into Palestine though I don't think that willl happen.
username5161072
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Before this, there should be an actual meeting between the Palestine and Israeli governments without American interference.
username5161072
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The leftists have been attacked for years 1) protesting America during the Vietnam war - attacked 2) protesting segregation and Apartheid - attacked 3) protesting Iraq and Afghanistan - attacked
What makes you think this is any different?
CletusPotterAlt2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
In 1967 Jordan, Syria, and Egypt, with the support of other Arab countries, which formed the Arab Expeditionary Force, prepared to attack Israel. Israel noticed an impending invasion of its terrority, and preemptively striked those three countries. Israel made every attempt to negotiate a ceasefire at the earliest oppurtunity but those three countries insisted on continuing with the War against Israel, known as the "Six Day War". As a result the three Arab countries were defeated by the IDF (Israeli Defence Force), and all three of those countries lost terrority as a result. Egypt lost a part of their country known as the "Sinai Peninsula", plus an area known as the "Gaza Strip", that they had occupied following the British withdrawal from Palestine (which now includes Israel, the Gaza Strip, and the West Bank), Jordan lost the "West Bank", which they had occupied for the same reason, and Syria lost the "Golan Heights", which was previously part of Syria (like the Sinai was part of Egypt).

In 1982 Israel returned the Sinai to Egypt in exchange for peace, and recognition of Israel by Egypt. Whilst Syria continues to claim the Golan Heights, despite not recognising the State of Israel as a country, Jordan and Egypt have given up their claims to the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and have both said that the PLO (Palestine Liberation Organisation) is the sole legitimate representative of the "Palestinian" people. The Palestinian Authority, which are currently the de facto government of the West Bank, and had previously also de facto controlled the Gaza Strip, had previously given Israel a lot of grief over what it has called an illegal action in occupying their terrority, which lead to the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Whilst the Palestinian Authority has now deescalated, and no longer has any part in violence, or terrorism, against Israel (which it now recognises as a legitimate country), the de facto Hamas government of the Gaza Strip, has refused to recognise Israel and has given them no end of grief by launching numerous rockets at their terrority, amongst other violent actions.

As a result the IDF (Israeli Defence Forces) have retaliated by launching rockets back, along with other actions in self defence of Israel. Israel has also blockaded the Gaza Strip, I can only presume that, whilst not nice for Gazans, that this is the lesser evil than endangering their own people by leaving the border with Gaza open. Even Egypt (an Arab country) went as far to put their own blockade on the Gaza Strip, which I presume was in order to prevent Egyptians from crossing the border and joining Hamas in launching illegal terrorism, and violence against Israel, as well as to prevent anyone assisting Hamas in any way, shape or form. Hamas are internationally recognised as a terrorist organisation, including by the UK government.

The people of the West Bank and Gaza are known as "Palestinians", and the people of Gaza are also known as "Gazans".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads