The Student Room Group

Nose surgery

Hi guys, i was wondering what your opinions are on this.
When i was younger i know for a 100% i broke my nose twice but my mum never did take me to the hospital as she didnt think of it as broken. But as i am older now i think the trauma is starting to show. I have a uneven nose one side is bigger than the other and i have difficulty breathing through it, i snore when i sleep, also when i blow my nose i get this shooting pain through to my brain as if when you pull a muscle but in your brain. I get severe headaches and i am sure its because of my nose. I am planning to go to my doctor about this, i have been doing research and there is a chance he will reffer me to get a septoplasty surgery and maybe a rhinoplasty to make my nose more symmetrical. My nose is really large i was thinking do you think i could ask them to make my nose smaller as well as symmetrical? As i wouldn't want to be under general anaesthetic's twice. And in a case where he wouldnt send me for the rhinoplasty how much would you think it would cost if i pay separately for it to get it done at the same time as the septoplasty? Because i think the NHS will cover the septoplasty for me as it is causing me breathing difficulties.
Original post by Natalie1111
Hi guys, i was wondering what your opinions are on this.
When i was younger i know for a 100% i broke my nose twice but my mum never did take me to the hospital as she didnt think of it as broken. But as i am older now i think the trauma is starting to show. I have a uneven nose one side is bigger than the other and i have difficulty breathing through it, i snore when i sleep, also when i blow my nose i get this shooting pain through to my brain as if when you pull a muscle but in your brain. I get severe headaches and i am sure its because of my nose. I am planning to go to my doctor about this, i have been doing research and there is a chance he will reffer me to get a septoplasty surgery and maybe a rhinoplasty to make my nose more symmetrical. My nose is really large i was thinking do you think i could ask them to make my nose smaller as well as symmetrical? As i wouldn't want to be under general anaesthetic's twice. And in a case where he wouldnt send me for the rhinoplasty how much would you think it would cost if i pay separately for it to get it done at the same time as the septoplasty? Because i think the NHS will cover the septoplasty for me as it is causing me breathing difficulties.

From what I've heard, you can ask for both done at once, but you'll have to still pay half of the cost for the cosmetic side of it. If you have found a doctor/ surgeon for the procedure, you could give them a call or message the business if they have social media.
Reply 2
Original post by houstonk9108
From what I've heard, you can ask for both done at once, but you'll have to still pay half of the cost for the cosmetic side of it. If you have found a doctor/ surgeon for the procedure, you could give them a call or message the business if they have social media.

Thank you! Yes i would be more than happy to pay for the cosmetic side of the procedure. As i live in the UK i was thinking maybe pay the NHS the same surgeon which would be doing the septoplasty surgery to me to pay him/her for the rhinoplasty cosmetic side of it and get it all done together hopefully this would be possible🙏 just dont know how much it would cost🤔
I very much doubt your migraines are anything to do with you nose. I can understand you might want surgery and that's your choice but I don't think this is an NHS issue.

Honestly if something is bothering you that bad go private. you can find cheaper european countries to get it done.
Reply 4
Original post by Iforgetiwasbored
I very much doubt your migraines are anything to do with you nose. I can understand you might want surgery and that's your choice but I don't think this is an NHS issue.

Honestly if something is bothering you that bad go private. you can find cheaper european countries to get it done.

Hi!,

Well these really aren't migranes i suffer from migranes but this is different its like a spasm in your brain its a very very sharp pain vdifferent from a migrane. Also as i stated i have difficulty breathing through my nose i snore when i sleep and i sometimes even choke in my sleep. Don't think i want to abuse the NHS system this is not the situation at all. I pay all my taxes. The NHS have saved my life once or twice this is why i want to try it this way first as i trust them alot more than private doctors as i do not have any experience with private doctors. I just want to be able to breathe. The cosmetic side i will pay for obviously
I'm for you getting surgery on NHS. I'm a taxpayer that was discriminated for other reasons relating to health. I just accept the flaws in the system. I just think private if you can afford it will offer a better solution. that's why i said Europe as an option.
Reply 6
Original post by Iforgetiwasbored
I'm for you getting surgery on NHS. I'm a taxpayer that was discriminated for other reasons relating to health. I just accept the flaws in the system. I just think private if you can afford it will offer a better solution. that's why i said Europe as an option.

Oh okay thank you for your suggestion! I certainly will think about it. Although you do hear all these surgeries which happen abroad which go wrong which is what is kind of putting me off. I just need to find a legit and trustworsthy surgeon though.
I will have to look into it. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest