The Student Room Group

A-level resources help

Hi! After all my time enjoying myself in lockdown i think now is the time to start preparing for sixth form! I'm currently a Year 11 student who is planning on doing Computer Science (AQA), Maths and Physics! (Both Edexcel) If anyone has any revision resources they recommend for these subjects please put them down below. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Planning on self learning Further Maths (Edexcel) at home not for exams but for knowledge needed at uni any tips/resources would be appreciated thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Why dont you do further maths as well?
Reply 2
Original post by Luwei
Why dont you do further maths as well?

I'm afraid i won't get the grades to do so as i am your average student but want to change that in sixth form.
Reply 3
Original post by femoir
I'm afraid i won't get the grades to do so as i am your average student but want to change that in sixth form.

I would strongly recommend that you start with further maths, maths physics an computer science then at the end of year 12 decide whether or not you want to drop it because unis like further maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Luwei
I would strongly recommend that you start with further maths, maths physics an computer science then at the end of year 12 decide whether or not you want to drop it because unis like further maths.

If possible i will try to ask school to let me do further maths otherwise planning on self learning it at home
I started with maths, further maths (edexcel), computer science (aqa) and chemistry.
For computer science, the theory isn’t much harder than GCSE, but I struggled a bit because I had never used python before. I would find out what language your sixth form uses, and learn some on code academy.
For maths, I would start by making sure you’re confident in higher level GCSE topics (especially algebra) like algebraic fractions, completing the square etc. Maths should be your main focus for now because you need to be ahead if you want to start further maths content soon.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by femoir
Hi! After all my time enjoying myself in lockdown i think now is the time to start preparing for sixth form! I'm currently a Year 11 student who is planning on doing Computer Science (AQA), Maths and Physics! (Both Edexcel) If anyone has any revision resources they recommend for these subjects please put them down below. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Planning on self learning Further Maths (Edexcel) at home not for exams but for knowledge needed at uni any tips/resources would be appreciated thanks!

What grade are you estimated for maths currently? Did you do further maths at GCSE, if so what is your estimated grade in that as well?
Reply 7
Original post by 15lw009545
What grade are you estimated for maths currently? Did you do further maths at GCSE, if so what is your estimated grade in that as well?

Sadly i'm only predicted a 6... This was due to mental issues which i have been dealing with but i'm sorting out slowly. I didn't really get the chance to do further maths at GCSE so i guess all i can do is self study.
Original post by femoir
Sadly i'm only predicted a 6... This was due to mental issues which i have been dealing with but i'm sorting out slowly. I didn't really get the chance to do further maths at GCSE so i guess all i can do is self study.

To prepare for maths alevel have a look at the furtherr maths gcse course, that will build up the base of normal maths AS work
Reply 9
Original post by Dancer2001
I started with maths, further maths (edexcel), computer science (aqa) and chemistry.
For computer science, the theory isn’t much harder than GCSE, but I struggled a bit because I had never used python before. I would find out what language your sixth form uses, and learn some on code academy.
For maths, I would start by making sure you’re confident in higher level GCSE topics (especially algebra) like algebraic fractions, completing the square etc. Maths should be your main focus for now because you need to be ahead if you want to start further maths content soon.

Thanks for the advice will focus on maths and programming in my spare time
Reply 10
Original post by Becca216
To prepare for maths alevel have a look at the furtherr maths gcse course, that will build up the base of normal maths AS work

Thanks i'll give it a shot
I recommend going over the gcse content first and strengthen it as much as you can. For physics and computer science, use seneca to give you a general idea of what you will be learning and what the content is like - you dont need to do heavy revision on this. For maths and physics I recommend CGP Headstart to Maths and CGP Headstart to Physics as its free on kindle edition on amazon. For maths, I suggest looking at Core Maths AS and Further maths gcse and cross reference the topics you will be learning with your A level specification so you can do recap of gcse content and learn stuff you will be learning.
Reply 12
Original post by PetitePanda
I recommend going over the gcse content first and strengthen it as much as you can. For physics and computer science, use seneca to give you a general idea of what you will be learning and what the content is like - you dont need to do heavy revision on this. For maths and physics I recommend CGP Headstart to Maths and CGP Headstart to Physics as its free on kindle edition on amazon. For maths, I suggest looking at Core Maths AS and Further maths gcse and cross reference the topics you will be learning with your A level specification so you can do recap of gcse content and learn stuff you will be learning.

Thanks so much! Will look at getting those books and using seneca!

Quick Reply

Latest