The Student Room Group

Polls now show Biden defeating Trump, but what if Trump refused to lose?

Clonk.

Biden with double digit leads across polls. Trump's son-in-law and nepotism posterboy Kushner now saying that he "can't commit" to promising to hold election in November.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be honest i take polls with a pinch of salt these days. With that being said, Trumpy doesnt really have much of a say in the matter. Assuming the Republicans havent completely crawled up his ass even they should balk at him obliterating the very foundation of the republic.
Original post by carlskep
Clonk.

Biden with double digit leads across polls. Trump's son-in-law and nepotism posterboy Kushner now saying that he "can't commit" to promising to hold election in November.

There will be an election in the USA in November unless there is a significant outbreak of Covid at the time...

Nothing more to be said really
Reply 3
Trump's son-in-law and nepotism posterboy Kushner now saying that he "can't commit" to promising to hold election in November.

Kushner holds no official position, so what he says is utterly redundant.
Clonk.

That's what they said about Hillary and we all know how that turned out, I'll take this with a pinch of salt for now
TBH this is kind of my worry too, I don't think he would accept the loss, and I think America would let that happen, as none of the other lines he crosses seem to matter.
Reply 6
It's a strange notion that an election loss for Trump would trigger some sort of American apocalypse.
Personally, I'd be rooting for it. It's about time America had an actual revolution
Reply 7
Original post by Ed1397
It's about time America had an actual revolution

The American Revolution wasn't revolutionary enough? What exactly will you be rooting for as an alternative to the Founding Fathers' system?
It always amazes me how people forget every 4 years just how **** the vast majority of pollsters are. It's like 2016 didn't happen.
If shy Trump voters messed up the polling data in 2016 can you imagine after 4 years of all the media, all the SNL crowd, all of Hollywood and celebrities and all of academia openly abusing trump and his voters, how honest are people going to be about voting for him now, when asked?
They be better saying they were secret paedophiles, at least vox, salon and the NYT would have your back.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Just my opinion
It always amazes me how people forget every 4 years just how **** the vast majority of pollsters are. It's like 2016 didn't happen.
If shy Trump voters messed up the polling data in 2016 can you imagine after 4 years of all the media, all the SNL crowd, all of Hollywood and celebrities and all of academia openly abusing trump and his voters, how honest are people going to be about voting for him when asked?

The thing is, with american politics at least, are both Trumps voters and Bidens (as it were) are utterly irrelevent in the election. They'll vote for their preferred candidate regardless. It's the swing voters who are the ones to pay attention to.
And as far as abusing people go, they're both as bad as each other. Its somewhat myopic to blame academia and those pesky dems for being mean to Trump and his acolytes when he and them spend their entire time abusing the others.
Original post by Napp
The thing is, with american politics at least, are both Trumps voters and Bidens (as it were) are utterly irrelevent in the election. They'll vote for their preferred candidate regardless. It's the swing voters who are the ones to pay attention to.
And as far as abusing people go, they're both as bad as each other. Its somewhat myopic to blame academia and those pesky dems for being mean to Trump and his acolytes when he and them spend their entire time abusing the others.

Swing voters are the important ones, yes, but there are different types of swing voters and it's not clear that the one in most people's heads is the one that's most important. For instance there are:
i) Those who might vote for Trump, or might vote for Biden.
ii) Those who might vote for Biden, or for a third party candidate, or not vote at all, but won't vote for Trump.
iii) Same as ii) but reverse placings of Trump and Biden.

Type i) are the classic "swing voters", but there's a strong case that ii) and iii) are more important this time.
Original post by anarchism101
Swing voters are the important ones, yes, but there are different types of swing voters and it's not clear that the one in most people's heads is the one that's most important. For instance there are:
i) Those who might vote for Trump, or might vote for Biden.
ii) Those who might vote for Biden, or for a third party candidate, or not vote at all, but won't vote for Trump.
iii) Same as ii) but reverse placings of Trump and Biden.

Type i) are the classic "swing voters", but there's a strong case that ii) and iii) are more important this time.

All swing voters tend to be pushed by the state of the economy(remember th e words of G Bush Senior)which up until January was doing pretty fine, which is probably why China deliberately caused a world wide depression, to ensure Trump wouldn't get re-elected.
Reply 12
Original post by caravaggio2
All swing voters tend to be pushed by the state of the economy(remember th e words of G Bush Senior)which up until January was doing pretty fine, which is probably why China deliberately caused a world wide depression, to ensure Trump wouldn't get re-elected.

What an absolute load of rubbish.
Reply 15

Nice to see him getting a jump on things for once.
I wonder if he realises all of these excuses can happily be used against him? Crooked Donny and all that.
The US is a third world ****hole anyway
Reply 17
Don't be silly, of course there will be an election in November and a handover of power if the President changes.
Think even the staunchest of republicans would not accept that but then again those that support him have shown how thick they are so nothing would surprise me.
Original post by Spad
Don't be silly, of course there will be an election in November and a handover of power if the President changes.

I agree, though I think Republican voters are more likely to turn out to vote and I expect something in Joe Biden's past will be alleged near the time. So I don't expect a Democrat win, given the electoral college system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending