Timii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey guys, I was wondering if you’ve heard about how some universities and colleges are abandoning SAT requirements for their admissions due to Covid. What are your thoughts on this and are you still planning to take them? Thanks
123puzzleme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Timii)
Hey guys, I was wondering if you’ve heard about how some universities and colleges are abandoning SAT requirements for their admissions due to Covid. What are your thoughts on this and are you still planning to take them? Thanks
What units are abandoning it?
kate_howard_1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Boosting because I haven't seen any other posts.
I'm highly likely not going to do the SAT or ACT because many US colleges like UCLA are already thinking of abandoning them in the next academic year anyway. I have also been really behind so haven't been able to study much for the ACT, so I'm probably just gonna apply to a few colleges and see how it goes. If it goes bad, oh well atleast I tried and if it goes well then bonus!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kate_howard_1)
Boosting because I haven't seen any other posts.
I'm highly likely not going to do the SAT or ACT because many US colleges like UCLA are already thinking of abandoning them in the next academic year anyway. I have also been really behind so haven't been able to study much for the ACT, so I'm probably just gonna apply to a few colleges and see how it goes. If it goes bad, oh well atleast I tried and if it goes well then bonus!
Are they going to put more emphasis on APs then? I thought the thing necessitating these tests and APs was the high school classes being insufficient prep for (top) unis, (they're required here in the UK for similar reasons) or at the very least insufficient to distinguish between candidates.
Last edited by _gcx; 2 months ago
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Are they going to put more emphasis on APs then? I thought the thing necessitating these tests and APs was the high school classes being insufficient prep for uni, (they're required here in the UK for similar reasons) or at the very least insufficient to distinguish between candidates.
US university is 4, not three years.
It's not that the education is insufficient as much as it isn't standardised like A level.

Meaning 4.0 in New York City at a top prep school, could never equal 4.0 at some crappy southern state school.

Then the APs would have to count more....

But its hard to be fair because from example at my small private school, 4.0 was the maximum you could get.

Yet at some other private schools with a prep focus you could get up to a 6.0 by doing extra courses.
Last edited by Realitysreflexx; 2 months ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
It's not that the education is insufficient as much as it isn't standardised like A level.

Meaning 4.0 in New York City at a top prep school, could never equal 4.0 at some crappy southern state school.

Then the APs would have to count more....

But its hard to be fair because from example at my small private school, 4.0 was the maximum you could get.

Yet at some other private schools with a prep focus you could get up to a 6.0 by doing extra courses.
Then isn't this shift bad news all around considering that people at poorer schools will then be disadvantaged?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Then isn't this shift bad news all around considering that people at poorer schools will then be disadvantaged?
Most definitely 😂 but they hardly stood much of a chance. America is very capitalist.
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey, sorry for like hijacking the thread Timii, are you planning to apply to the US? or anyone is? are you taking SATs for 2021 entry then? I was sure that these are just some colleges that don't require them for 2021 entry, but turns out even Ivy League have them as optional, what do you guys think, will such an application without SATs regarded as 'worse'?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (19)
19%
I'm not sure (2)
2%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (28)
28%
I have already dropped out (3)
3%
I'm not a current university student (48)
48%

Watched Threads