The Student Room Group

Anxiety relating to starting university

So I'm 26 now, I've spent the last 10 years out of school working a bunch of ****ty jobs trying to figure out what it is I REALLY want to do with my life, i never quite figured it out while i was in school. I've decided on a 3 year Paramedical Science degree to become a paramedic, but i will be 27 by the time I start my course.
I didn't think I'd have as much anxiety as I am experiencing, I feel like I've left it too late. I'd be looking at starting a family by the time I'm around 30 which is when I'll only just finish my degree (if i dont fail any unit)... I really have no idea what it will be like trying to gain experience in the work force whilst also trying to raise a family...
Plus the costs of going to uni whilst also working to tackle rent, bills and payments, plus making time for family and friends, keeping fit and healthy etc. I just don't know how I'm going to do it all!
If anyone has any advice for me about starting university as a mature age student, please help!
Reply 1
Just be confident and jump right in. Worry about it later. You should go to uni, no question about it, because if you want a family later on you have to be able to support them! Also, nothing is set in stone. You can always start your family a bit later, once you’re settled.

There are plenty of older students starting university. Find some friends that are going through the same thing, and talk to them when you’re feeling stressed.

Just know that everything will be okay, and you are making the right choice by going to university. Better late than never! Best of luck x
Original post by Xallycat_
So I'm 26 now, I've spent the last 10 years out of school working a bunch of ****ty jobs trying to figure out what it is I REALLY want to do with my life, i never quite figured it out while i was in school. I've decided on a 3 year Paramedical Science degree to become a paramedic, but i will be 27 by the time I start my course.
I didn't think I'd have as much anxiety as I am experiencing, I feel like I've left it too late. I'd be looking at starting a family by the time I'm around 30 which is when I'll only just finish my degree (if i dont fail any unit)... I really have no idea what it will be like trying to gain experience in the work force whilst also trying to raise a family...
Plus the costs of going to uni whilst also working to tackle rent, bills and payments, plus making time for family and friends, keeping fit and healthy etc. I just don't know how I'm going to do it all!
If anyone has any advice for me about starting university as a mature age student, please help!

Its never too late to study, don't worry yourself.
Get a diary to keep it all organised so soon you'll have it all under control.
Be glad to be where you are, it is amazing.

Hi @Xallycat_

If becoming a paramedic is something you want to do, you should definitely go for the degree. People of all sorts of ages study at uni, also no one really focuses on age, so I wouldn’t worry too much. There will also other older students that may be able to relate to you, so you wont be alone in feeling this way.

It can seem like there is a lot to juggle at uni, but once you get there after a few months you find a routine. I would recommend getting a diary maybe and making a timetable so you can fit in the various activities and have a bit more structure.

Good Luck!

Zaira 😊
I'm 34 and won't be qualified until I'm 37/38. I don't have a family but it's something I'd still like to consider but I don't know when and the clocks ticking!!!

Totally get where you're coming from re anxiety but if I don't do something soon for my career, I will actually go mad and I think that's way worse than leaving it any longer than I have. Me and my partner discussed starting a family before going to Uni but I don't think I could handle studying with placements and a young baby at home.

You have got plenty of time, in fact you're probably at the right age to go in paramedic science as you have probably gained a lot of relatable life experience and skills.

Where are you planning on studying?

Hi @Xallycat_!

It's never too late to start studying and bettering your future! Worry about things such as starting a family once you get to that point. For now just spend your time working on your course and becoming fulfilled in a career path which you want to be in. If your anxiety worsens, definitely see what help you can get from your University's wellbeing services.

I hope this helps and best of luck :smile:
Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending