Anyone heard of the new university classification system which may be implemented? Watch

Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I remembered reading about this in my federal university's paper (university of london) and there are plans to end the 200 year old degree classification system which we presently use. The article is about half a year old and unfortunately I can't find a source for it. I believe it is used to end the stigma towards anything below 2:1 degrees and to give employers a greater break down of students' academic achievements (or lack of) during their time at university.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if its not broke dont fix it.

comes to mind
chrisj99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it to do with the whole Bologna thing, maybe?
Vikid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
if its not broke dont fix it.
but according to some people it is broke... I thought I heard that too many people are getting 2.1 or something.
Vincente
Rep:
?
Is it to do with the whole Bologna thing, maybe?
???
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
it is broke, and though I have heard of it, I have no idea what they intend to do about it
yeah i dont know how we managed the past 200+ years.

this reminds me of this story i heard about a house which has been up for about 150 years, somehow they found out the house wasnt safe to ive in as the foundations werent strong enough....yeah its only been standing for 150 years managed to take the worse of the british weather and now its not safe to live in.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vikid)
but according to some people it is broke... I thought I heard that too many people are getting 2.1 or something.
???
thats likesaying too many people are getting B's at A-level, so changing it to 1 -A 2-B 3-C etc
people will still get the same grade no matter what its called
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
yeah i dont know how we managed the past 200+ years.

this reminds me of this story i heard about a house which has been up for about 150 years, somehow they found out the house wasnt safe to ive in as the foundations werent strong enough....yeah its only been standing for 150 years managed to take the worse of the british weather and now its not safe to live in.
Bad analogy. Higher education has changed drastically in size and scope since the classification system was introduced. Just because something has lasted a long time doesn't have any bearing on its current fitness for purpose (in fact this could be the same for your 150 year old building.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Bad analogy. Higher education has changed drastically in size and scope since the classification system was introduced. Just because something has lasted a long time doesn't have any bearing on its current fitness for purpose (in fact this could be the same for your 150 year old building.
it wasnt an analogy.
Vincente
Rep:
?
Come on, surely other UNIVERSITY STUDENTS must have heard of this in some way? After all it is quite significant though it may not affect our graduation classification.
Caspar David Friedrich
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They've been looking around for something to replace it with for a few years now, and to the best of my knowledge nothing has ever come out of such discussions. I don't think there is enough impetus to change the system right now really, with the high proportion of firsts and 2:1s awarded helping inflate university 'prestige' in the league tables, in recruiting, etc. The current system has many problems, most noticeably how a 2:1 is seen both as the minimum necessary for a good result as well as a very good result necessary for top jobs and postgraduate study in turn, but it still seems to work out in the end.

What I worry about is any change leading to nationalised assessments and any reductions to institutional independence in teaching and learning. Wiping out intellectual diversity would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to higher education, and it is also the thing more and more likely to happen in this current climate of government intervention and careerist outlooks which are dominating the sector. Tension along this front could feature significantly in any battle over changing the classification system, and it would be a very ugly fight.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
it wasnt an analogy.
Yes it was. Unless you inferred nothing from you referral to the aged building.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree that we should avoid further state controls over universities.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its just something that fills newspaper copies every once in a while, it would be a huge change, far harder than A Levels to another qualification or something.
wont happen in the next decade
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if rouhgly 80% achieve a 2.1 of first, is it possible to get a 2.1 as long as your put the work in, or does intelligence still matter?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
if rouhgly 80% achieve a 2.1 of first, is it possible to get a 2.1 as long as your put the work in, or does intelligence still matter?
make that 60-65%
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
erm what do you mean mate? 60% chance of getting a 2.1?
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
currently its in the 50-60% region, but its not just about hard work you have to be fairly able as well
Sorry, I am a bit confused! I was just asking about my course to be honest. Last year 84% of the students achieved a 2.1 or first, so was wondering if ability was as important as hard work in achieving a 2.1.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
currently its in the 40-50% region, but its not just about hard work you have to be fairly able as well
saying the percentage make it sound like its a flip of a coin just have to turn up and youve got a 2:1, people seem to forget people actually work at their exams.
francescarella
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i personally don't think there's anything wrong with the current system. so what if a majority gets a 2:1? that's like sayin "oh too many GCSE students are getting As, let's get in A+ and A-.
just becuase that is the majority outcome, doesn't make it less valuable. it just means mosty people didn't work hard enough for a first, and were lucky enough to not get a lower second.
i think more people are getting the upper second simply because more people are going to uni- anyone considered that? i'm sure when there was like half the amount of uni students in the country as there is now, less people got the upper second, simply because there was less people to do so.
if people find that their upper second degree isn't good enough to get a job well then they need to go and get some more work experience or something i don't see why the system should be changed imo.

(altho i do agree it's unfair that certain unis have prestige over other unis even tho the same classification as i reckon a degree is a degree and you work really hard to get it wherever you go and your classification will show)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.7%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.49%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (117)
40.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.48%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.85%