Have your say: One in five students will defer starting university if classes online

Watch
tam13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our One in five students will defer starting university if classes online article.

Read the full One in five students will defer starting university if classes online article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Erm think of us year 12s trying to get uni places next year?!?!
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Unfortunately, that won't matter to them. Good luck fighting against this year’s year 13 next June
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So there's going to be a hell of a lot of gap yah students digging wells in Africa, having their hair braided and talking about how 'life is cheap' in 2021 :laugh:
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah I agree with the later part of this - we year 12s are going have a hell of a time next year if all of these U6 refer (especially as it's looking less likely that we're going to have an actual mock). However I don't blame the Y13s for wanting to refer though - it's them who are going to end up paying £9000 for online tuition if they continue with their application. Even as a person who gets on really well with online learning, I wouldn't be prepared to do that.
Cecelia Tallice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Its all very well and I do understand the reasoning behind deferring places such as, having to pay the same fees, lack of social contact and just not having the same all round uni experience. However, what is the alternative? It will be difficult to travel for a while, it will be difficult finding jobs and the world must go on. Personally I would rather just get on with my life and my degree, I think that universities will be able to slowly introduce more lectures and group tutorials in accordance with public health England as the year goes on.
What we have to remember is that the reason Cambridge has opted for online learning is due to the shear number of international students.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Yeah I agree with the later part of this - we year 12s are going have a hell of a time next year if all of these U6 refer (especially as it's looking less likely that we're going to have an actual mock). However I don't blame the Y13s for wanting to refer though - it's them who are going to end up paying £9000 for online tuition if they continue with their application. Even as a person who gets on really well with online learning, I wouldn't be prepared to do that.
I mean yes I agree. I want to go into engineering and it wouldn't surprise me if that has one of the highest deferring rates due to the amount of practical and lab work that will be missed. Oh well I guess we have just got to try our best.
Academicbee123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As long as it is safe for me to go to uni this year (I’m at ‘extreme risk’ rn), I will. I was initially planning on deferring when I heard about online lectures, but I came to the conclusion that it wouldn’t be wise. I would struggle to get a job and who knows if I could travel at all. The idea of not being in academia also makes me anxious. As long as I can move into halls and lab work still goes ahead, I will go. If we aren’t allowed to move into halls, I think more than one in five students will defer - including myself.
Last edited by Academicbee123; 6 months ago
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I mean yes I agree. I want to go into engineering and it wouldn't surprise me if that has one of the highest deferring rates due to the amount of practical and lab work that will be missed. Oh well I guess we have just got to try our best.
Yes we will. Good luck with it . Where are you thinking of applying and what type of engineering degree (if you feel comfortable sharing that)?
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
Its all very well and I do understand the reasoning behind deferring places such as, having to pay the same fees, lack of social contact and just not having the same all round uni experience. However, what is the alternative? It will be difficult to travel for a while, it will be difficult finding jobs and the world must go on. Personally I would rather just get on with my life and my degree, I think that universities will be able to slowly introduce more lectures and group tutorials in accordance with public health England as the year goes on.
What we have to remember is that the reason Cambridge has opted for online learning is due to the shear number of international students.
Your point is very well made (especially about travel and labour market difficulties), but would you not agree that many students who are paying such a huge amount of money to attend (especially international students who I feel really sorry for), would want to get the whole university experience and proper, physical tuition that they deserve and that every year before them has also had?
Physicsqueen
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I definitely do feel sorry for this years year 12’s. I understand it from both POV’s. I’m not deferring but my course doesn’t require lots of practical work (just a lab once a week which social distancing is being considered to allow us to do them). I would be concerned if I was a year 12, especially if applying to competitive universities. Hopefully measures could be put in place to make uni as accessible as possible to both deferring year 13s and current year 12s, though I don’t know how this would be done fairly for all parties.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think it will be a problem for current Y12s, to be honest, as lots of places will already be filled by deferral students. I can understand why they wouldn't want to go for online learning though, and it's their choice to defer if they wish. Just work hard, get the best grades you can, and you'll still have a good chance of getting a place.
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Physicsqueen)
I definitely do feel sorry for this years year 12’s. I understand it from both POV’s. I’m not deferring but my course doesn’t require lots of practical work (just a lab once a week which social distancing is being considered to allow us to do them). I would be concerned if I was a year 12, especially if applying to competitive universities. Hopefully measures could be put in place to make uni as accessible as possible to both deferring year 13s and current year 12s, though I don’t know how this would be done fairly for all parties.
Yeah as a Y12 planning on applying to the LSE for Economics (which is competitive enough without coronavirus), I'm not feeling too good right now (especially as mocks are non-existent at the moment, which is one area of my application which I was especially hoping to distinguish myself in). Good luck with your degree , sorry that the first year isn't going to be what you deserve it to be - hopefully though it will be better than thought at the moment, who knows!
Physicsqueen
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Yeah as a Y12 planning on applying to the LSE for Economics (which is competitive enough without coronavirus), I'm not feeling too good right now (especially as mocks are non-existent at the moment, which is one area of my application which I was especially hoping to distinguish myself in). Good luck with your degree , sorry that the first year isn't going to be what you deserve it to be - hopefully though it will be better than thought at the moment, who knows!
Thank you . Good luck with A-levels and I hope you get into the uni you want.
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Physicsqueen)
Thank you . Good luck with A-levels and I hope you get into the uni you want.
PRSOM Thanks !
Cecelia Tallice
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Your point is very well made (especially about travel and labour market difficulties), but would you not agree that many students who are paying such a huge amount of money to attend (especially international students who I feel really sorry for), would want to get the whole university experience and proper, physical tuition that they deserve and that every year before them has also had?
Why thank you. Yes I agree profusely that it is not fair that tuition fees should still be the same given the circumstances and this is something that should be addressed, but given the state of our current economy it most likely it will not be. However, these are unprecedented circumstances. We have to make allowances. Why do we go to university? First and foremost to get a degree and acquire skills and knowledge. Is this something that can still potentially be achieved with online learning for the time being- yes absolutely.
Lecturers are still teaching us, even if it is online, granted it is not to the same quality but how can this currently be avoided? They still deserve a wage.
Obviously there is other issues such as access to facilities and resources which cannot just be ignored.

But I remain of the opinion that life must go on, I will not put my life on hold and subsequently do nothing for a year, just to avoid paying less because I feel I am not getting the full uni experience.

We students are largely the lucky ones in this whole current climate.
We remain fairly financially secure in terms of having the safety net of student loans. We dont have to necessarily support anyone or worry about finding a graduate job at the moment. Obviously there are exceptions to this..
But I consider myself one of the lucky ones, some people have been devastatingly affected by coronavirus, so I am not going to argue about tuition fees to no avail.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Yes we will. Good luck with it . Where are you thinking of applying and what type of engineering degree (if you feel comfortable sharing that)?
Im thinking of civil engineering and im looking at Nottingham, Birmingham and Loughborough (along with some others), which are all quite competitive for engineering alongside most other degrees. I guess we just got to try our best now so we can do well in our mocks (whenever they may be). I see you are applying to LSE - Good luck with that! I have thought about Imperial because the course looks good but I dont really fancy living in London.
silversilk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As a mature student applicant (25) I'll be starting in September no matter what, I'll get my generated grades because I worked my butt off. I have a lot to accomplish and nothing will stop that. I think it's worth going to Uni this year if it is a financial option for one. It won't be like this forever and at the end of the day one should be going to University to get a degree and grow intellectually. Those goals are not in jepardy.
aadil10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Personally, I would highly recommend current Year 13's to defer starting uni for a year.

Why? Things are going to be a lot different in a post-covid world (if we even see an end to it that is). Industries are changing the way they do things, people are adapting and this means both new and redundant job roles. No-one can predict what the world will be like in 2021. I think it's far more beneficial for you all to focus on learning everything you can about the industry you're interested in. As companies start returning back to 'normal' there are many things that will be done differently; keep up to date with these. Build up your knowledge and experience and you'll be better set for the world than almost everyone who's going to be wasting months sat behind a computer screen trying to learn the same old stuff over online lectures.

If you think the next year of studies are going to be remotely beneficial, not to mention worth 9 grand, then just ask any current student what the last few months have been like. Even as a 3rd year doing an integrated masters I wish I could defer my final year because I dread the prospect of graduating in 2021 in these circumstances and I pity those who have just graduated now.
Cecelia Tallice
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by aadil10)
Personally, I would highly recommend current Year 13's to defer starting uni for a year.

Why? Things are going to be a lot different in a post-covid world (if we even see an end to it that is). Industries are changing the way they do things, people are adapting and this means both new and redundant job roles. No-one can predict what the world will be like in 2021. I think it's far more beneficial for you all to focus on learning everything you can about the industry you're interested in. As companies start returning back to 'normal' there are many things that will be done differently; keep up to date with these. Build up your knowledge and experience and you'll be better set for the world than almost everyone who's going to be wasting months sat behind a computer screen trying to learn the same old stuff over online lectures.

If you think the next year of studies are going to be remotely beneficial, not to mention worth 9 grand, then just ask any current student what the last few months have been like. Even as a 3rd year doing an integrated masters I wish I could defer my final year because I dread the prospect of graduating in 2021 in these circumstances and I pity those who have just graduated now.
What do you suggest that people do instead? Stay at home, unemployed with minimal social interaction and “learn everything they can about the industry you are interested in”.
Sounds like a fun year!
Personally I think the world must go on as normal, okay it is not ideal but we must adapt to the ever changing circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (660)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads