The Student Room Group

Bristol law vs King's PPLaw

Is University of Bristol law or King's college London Politics, Philosophy & law a better course? I've heard Bristol is more social and friendly but King's has a better reputation.
They have good law schools and kings has a good PPL course as well. Tbh go for the one that you prefer tbh - it may be course modules or location wise. No one would know that well unless they did both courses but I suggest looking at the modules of each course and see which you like more or where you want to live for 3 yeats. @lawcalling can you give any insight on the social life and friendliness of Bristol or their law course as well?
Original post by PetitePanda
They have good law schools and kings has a good PPL course as well. Tbh go for the one that you prefer tbh - it may be course modules or location wise. No one would know that well unless they did both courses but I suggest looking at the modules of each course and see which you like more or where you want to live for 3 yeats. @lawcalling can you give any insight on the social life and friendliness of Bristol or their law course as well?

Happy to @PetitePanda, thanks!

Firstly, the King's course looks really interesting, I wasn't expecting it to be a qualifying law degree because of the other components (and Law being the latter element of the course title) but surprisingly it is. You will still have to take criminal law, tort, contract, land law, trusts, EU law and constitutional law the same as Bristol - it will just be your optional modules that differ. I would take into account that with a straight law degree there are still a range of policy-based modules that may be of interest in second and third year (perhaps take a look at and see if any modules are of interest to you - year 2 optional modules: https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/RouteStructureCohort.jsa;jsessionid=7384772F6282DA69B0642FD4EF7DFFC4?byCohort=Y&cohort=Y&routeLevelCode=2&ayrCode=21%2F22&modeOfStudyCode=Full+Time&programmeCode=9LAWD001U, year 3 optional modules: https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme-catalogue/RouteStructureCohort.jsa?byCohort=Y&cohort=Y&routeLevelCode=3&ayrCode=21%2F22&modeOfStudyCode=Full+Time&programmeCode=9LAWD001U. I feel like Bristol's law course can give you a fair amount of the politics side of things but maybe not Philosophy. A lot of students also take an open module in politics and I assume the same can be done with Philosophy, so that's always an option. In terms of employability, as they're both qualifying law degrees, I think they're both of equal value. I'd also take into consideration that the King's course is four years long rather than Bristol's three, that's a lot of extra money and time, in which you could spend time paralegalling/starting your legal career (assuming that's what you fancy).

In terms of rep, I would say Kings is on par with Bristol, with Kings being possibly marginally better, however, I don't think this would be enough to warrant the basis for a decision. I was considering Kings but the price of London put me off as well as the 'busy-ness' - I knew I wanted to work in London in my early twenties and I was prepared to wait until then to experience it!

On the social side, Bristol is great. Halls are generally really close together meaning you can meet up with course mates with ease. North village is literally a little village in itself, consisting of several halls, whereas East village is spread throughout Clifton, which is a gorgeous quiet/leafy green area of Bristol (google images/maps Clifton Village). There are a lot of lovely independent cafes and restaurants around the uni which my friends and I regularly drop-in at, a gallery and museum in close proximity to the university (right next to the law building) and lots of green spaces. My friends and I regularly go to Brandon Hill (a nice green area 2 mins from the law building) for lunch after grabbing a £2 baguette and cake. The night life is great, definitely something for everyone, and drinks are a lot cheaper than London. There's also a bus back to North Village that runs every half an hour at night until 4am from the main area of clubs, so you won't be cut off/having to spend money on an Uber (and East Village is in walking distance).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending