The Student Room Group

What should I do if university is online for term 1? (covid-19 lockdown)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TigerRoll
It's alright I don't care lmao.

I agree, universities have ****ed themselves over and should sort out their own problems. But if they become bankrupt and you are attending said bankrupt university, what will you get out of it? They are charging the full fees because they can, and the government won't be bailing them out so whilst it might be a rip off for its students, they aren't a priority. Keeping the university open is.

Hmm it's true and see your point. Uni has no money we don't go to uni so no degree lol. But I think it's fair to see the annoyance of the students, could they at least not decrease the fees a bit since their costs have gone down? I guess at the same time their revenue has decreased significantly since they can't get all the money from getting us students wasted 7 days a week.
Maybe unis could be more transparent so students would be more understanding of why they can't pay us. Obviously people would still be mad but it would have some impact.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Hmm it's true and see your point. Uni has no money we don't go to uni so no degree lol. But I think it's fair to see the annoyance of the students, could they at least not decrease the fees a bit since their costs have gone down? I guess at the same time their revenue has decreased significantly since they can't get all the money from getting us students wasted 7 days a week.
Maybe unis could be more transparent so students would be more understanding of why they can't pay us. Obviously people would still be mad but it would have some impact.

Unfortunately I doubt many universities will come out and say that they are in debt, have been for years, and that's why.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
I tried looking for evidence but it doesn't seem to be posted online but I know a friend who was living in shared accommodation said they emailed one day like you gotta move your stuff to an ensuite by tomorrow.

Honestly I completely agree with all of what you've said. Whilst at uni there are a lot of resources you could argue there won't be a significant gap based on background (i.e. unis let people from certain backgrounds get in with lower A levels but they get the same degree classification as their peers with higher A levels) but when at home there is a lot you can miss out on.

I really don't understand why we're not getting refunds and this is just being ignored too.

It really annoys me that all us at uni have just been left to pick up the pieces. And I've had to complete my last 4 assignments at home and half the resources that were online were'nt amazing at all they lacked the information I needed it was so frustrating!!
And in my house theres 5 of us living here at the minute due to the virus and there was no quiet place for me to study because my house it too small!
Its madness
Original post by TigerRoll
Unfortunately I doubt many universities will come out and say that they are in debt, have been for years, and that's why.

Well I guess it's a shame they put their pride over student satisfaction.

Original post by The fewhale
It really annoys me that all us at uni have just been left to pick up the pieces. And I've had to complete my last 4 assignments at home and half the resources that were online were'nt amazing at all they lacked the information I needed it was so frustrating!!
And in my house theres 5 of us living here at the minute due to the virus and there was no quiet place for me to study because my house it too small!
Its madness

Have you applied for extenuating circumstances. Might be a shout because at least you can get something to ease the stress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending