The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing / Psychology

Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 studying Health and Social Care as an extended diploma, my aspirations are to go into mental health/psychology. I'm interested in studying Mental Health Nursing in 2021; I also have career ideas of becoming a clinical psychologist later on once I have trained to be a nurse and worked in this field.

Has anyone completed a conversion course to psychology and then a doctorate in clinical psychology? How did you find it?

Thanks,

Hazelly
Reply 1
I haven't done the route you've mentioned, I did undergrad Psychology. I just wanted to say that Clinical Psych is very competitive, and you must have a BPS accredited degree. Is there a reason you want to become a registered nurse before changing paths?
You don’t go into clinical psych with a nursing degree. Clin psych and mental health nurse are. VERY different roles

Why not doing a BSc psych degree then clin psych?
Reply 3
Given how competitive CP is, I’d say becoming a MHN first with one eye on becoming a CP later is an excellent plan. I know a few MHNs who’ve done it and it’s a great way to accrue experience in the field with actual responsibility whilst being paid a decent salary and progressing in your career, as opposed to doing support work (horrendously low paid and little responsibility) and unpaid volunteer positions for an indeterminate amount of time after graduation in psychology. You’ve got a great back up career in the event you decide not to go for psychology and there is no pressure to get it done.
As to how different CP and MHN are, that’s not actually true. There’s a lot of overlap between the roles and many psychological therapies can be delivered by either CPs or MHNs. Yes, they’re different roles but the client groups they work with are the same.
Reply 4
Just to point out, the OP is asking about converting to psychology with a conversion degree after a MHN degree, with a view to doing the doctorate later.
Original post by Marni_
I haven't done the route you've mentioned, I did undergrad Psychology. I just wanted to say that Clinical Psych is very competitive, and you must have a BPS accredited degree. Is there a reason you want to become a registered nurse before changing paths?

Original post by Noodlzzz
You don’t go into clinical psych with a nursing degree. Clin psych and mental health nurse are. VERY different roles

Why not doing a BSc psych degree then clin psych?

I understand how competitive the course is, hence I was thinking that if I did a degree in Mental Health nursing once I have graduated I would already be gaining experience compared to another student who may be an assistant psychologist and the expanse of jobs can be minimal (from research). Once I have done two to three years working as a nurse I can do my masters in psychology which would take a year/two and then I aid the degree with further experience to allow me to apply for the doctorate degree as I would also have the money to fund this and have a job at the same time.
Original post by giella
Given how competitive CP is, I’d say becoming a MHN first with one eye on becoming a CP later is an excellent plan. I know a few MHNs who’ve done it and it’s a great way to accrue experience in the field with actual responsibility whilst being paid a decent salary and progressing in your career, as opposed to doing support work (horrendously low paid and little responsibility) and unpaid volunteer positions for an indeterminate amount of time after graduation in psychology. You’ve got a great back up career in the event you decide not to go for psychology and there is no pressure to get it done.
As to how different CP and MHN are, that’s not actually true. There’s a lot of overlap between the roles and many psychological therapies can be delivered by either CPs or MHNs. Yes, they’re different roles but the client groups they work with are the same.

Thank you for replying, I was so glad to read that you know of others that have done the same pathway as what I am looking at. Do you mind me asking how they found it?

Quick Reply

Latest