The Student Room Group

Sober Clubbing at Uni

I don't drink at all, and I don't want to start drinking. So I was getting worried about not being social enough, even though I'm fairly extroverted. Then I found that some people go sober clubbing and say it's still fun and a good in between for people with this issue. Do people agree with this? And has anybody done this before and think it has helped or hindered their social life at uni? Do you get made fun of for it or is it fine?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't drink at all, and I don't want to start drinking. So I was getting worried about not being social enough, even though I'm fairly extroverted. Then I found that some people go sober clubbing and say it's still fun and a good in between for people with this issue. Do people agree with this? And has anybody done this before and think it has helped or hindered their social life at uni? Do you get made fun of for it or is it fine?

Yes you can sober club but you will only be a bit of a spectator whilst everyone gets drunk so might be boring and therefore it would be so much better if you did not go clubbing instead.
Reply 2
bump

Most people won't care, and might even respect you for it. Most students are educated enough to know that alcohol is not for some people.
Probably depends if you're able to have fun being around drunk people, you might enjoy it more if you have someone else with you who's going sober/not drinking much.

... Though at the way things are going at the moment, you have ages to start thinking about this sort of stuff lol

Hey!

Yes you can go clubbing sober and many people do sometimes - eg for someones birthday but they don't want to drink, and that's absolutely fine :smile:
I would say you might find it quite boring though, so it might be a good idea to join societies where you can hang out with people without drinking too!
That way you get a good mix in

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 6
I've done sober clubbing plenty of times, especially in my third year of university when I started cutting down on drinking.

Generally speaking, it helps when there's music playing that you enjoy. I can go absolutely crazy for the classics because the enjoyment overtakes my desire to get totally wasted and the cheese fest stuff :biggrin:

But as Eloise says above, might be worth finding groups that offer non-drinking activities. Even pub socials I attended were rarely about drinking, and many of my friends were happy to just grab a pint of coke to chill out :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:
Hi @Anonymous
I’m a student at Lancaster university and know a few people who go sober clubbing and I’ve done it occasionally myself ! It’s definitely still an option for you to get involved in everything ! There was a girl in my course who stayed sober the whole year for charity and she really enjoyed sober nights out ! However it can be a bit annoying for you to deal with drunk people whilst your sober ! I do think it’s a good idea to do what Eloise suggested above and see if you are interested in societies with other activities. Many societies at Lancaster tailor for everyone’s interests ! I’m part of Lancaster university dance society and this year they held a range of sober socials as well as going out socials to give everyone opportunities to get involved ! You can check out a range of societies here https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups
Hope this reassures you
Lancaster uni student ambassador Holly
Well there won't be any clubbing to worry about this academic year.
Don't worry about it, I'm going to university in September too and don't really drink either. There are a range of non-drinking events and societies which are usually held and you'll meet people who also choose not to drink. Other than that, you could go clubbing sober just to see how it is (my advice would be to have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand though since it'll make you feel more comfortable).

Ive met people who dont drink yet go out to student nights, nobody makes fun of them people are free to do & enjoy what they want, its a lot cheaper. I think people in this scenario often just live off the atmosphere rather then 'need' to be drunk.

It can still be fun but if everyone around you gets plastered, you’re going to be the only sober one dealing with drunks. You’ll either get annoyed or feel left out at some point. But if you’re with people who doesn’t drink to be black out drunk, you’ll be fine 😊 especially since your extroverted

one of my best mates does this all the time for religious reasons. As long as the vibe is good you'll be fine :smile:
At university, like everywhere you go in life, there'll be judgemental people.

If they can't handle your decision of wanting to be sober, you don't need them. Stick to your beliefs and decisions and don't change who you are :smile:

are you going portsmouth? i don’t drink either! :smile:

i experienced drunk partying and sober partying... the thing is: i am a very outgoing person, so i don't really need alcohol to get myself hyped. Many people drink to losen up a bit and that's totally fine.

I would say, if you were a rather introverted person, drinking alcohol can be dangerous because either you will become even quiter or go totally lose and not being yourself anymore whis is never good!

But as you said you are extroverted and you're doing fine getting yourself involved without the alcohol, you don't need it.

As said I enjoy both. Sometimes I like to get dead ass drunk but then i just go out for that, and other evenings i wanna enjoy the music, talk with people and rather stay sober for that :smile:

And also: there are no rules for clubbing. Except one: Have fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending