average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Could someone offer feedback on my four marker:

In the 17th century most people believed that the cause of disease was miasma-bad air. Plague doctors in the 17th century wore a mask with a bird-like beak to protect themselves from the miasma. However, in the 19th century, people believed in the idea of the Germ Theory-the idea that germs caused disease. French scientist Louis Pasteur proved this by the process of pasteurisation.

thanks
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
What examboard is this?
average_human
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What examboard is this?
Edexcel
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by average_human)
Edexcel
Which question is this 1 or 2b or 3? Can you fully state the question?
average_human
Rep:
?
Which question is this 1 or 2b or 3? Can you fully state the question?
sorry my mistake it's a 4 marker:

A) Explain one way in which ideas about the causes of
disease were different in the 17th and 19th centuries.
(4)
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Tbh this would be 1-2 marks, which I would give you a mark if I was strict because you have provided a general difference between the two but it doesn't have any link to them and the evidence is facts about the causes rather than supporting why there is a change. E.g. In the 17th century, most people believe the cause of the disease was miasma because of the lack of technology during the time so they relied on observation of conditions of their environment. Whereas in 19th century, people had a better understanding of the causes of disease due to the Germ Theory, due to the development of the microscope, which can supported the theory due to the power and resolution that showed there was actually microbes. Although you don't need to be detailed, you need to have some kind of link between the two like I did with technology, which showed why there was a change in the differences of the causes.

Markscheme for 1-2 marks:
"Simple or generalised comment is offered about a difference. [AO2]
Generalised information about the topic is included, showing limited knowledge and
understanding of the periods. [AO1]"

Markscheme for 3-4 marks:
"Features of the period are analysed to explain a difference. [AO2]
Specific information about the topic is added to support the comparison, showing
good knowledge and understanding of the periods"
average_human
Rep:
?
t

Tbh this would be 1-2 marks, which I would give you a mark if I was strict because you have provided a general difference between the two but it doesn't have any link to them and the evidence is facts about the causes rather than supporting why there is a change. E.g. In the 17th century, most people believe the cause of the disease was miasma because of the lack of technology during the time so they relied on observation of conditions of their environment. Whereas in 19th century, people had a better understanding of the causes of disease due to the Germ Theory, due to the development of the microscope, which can supported the theory due to the power and resolution that showed there was actually microbes. Although you don't need to be detailed, you need to have some kind of link between the two like I did with technology, which showed why there was a change in the differences of the causes.

Markscheme for 1-2 marks:
"Simple or generalised comment is offered about a difference. [AO2]
Generalised information about the topic is included, showing limited knowledge and
understanding of the periods. [AO1]"

Markscheme for 3-4 marks:
"Features of the period are analysed to explain a difference. [AO2]
Specific information about the topic is added to support the comparison, showing
good knowledge and understanding of the periods"
thanks so much
this is really helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60.27%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.7%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.28%

Watched Threads