The Student Room Group

GCSE plans for 2021??

I understand that the focus is on how GCSE's are being graded this year, but there must be an implication now on how the 2021 entries are going to be carried out? Will it be exams but missing out the content we have not covered during the coronavirus period, or is there a plan from Sept 2020 to make it more course work based and graded with teacher feedback and ongoing test results, like this years grades will be awarded?
Reply 1
you've missed at least 2 months of actual content (due to mocks that you would've taken) and the content is covered again in september. In year 11, it's just about consolidating, so they'll just go over what you know and what you 'missed', but it's not a lot: trust me. It's not a disadvantage; you've got more free time, access to teachers, and you have resources. Sure, it sucks and it's understandable, but just make the most of this free time - us year 11s were working so immensely hard and now have the next step to prepare for: utilise your time.
Your GCSEs won't be affected - you have 12 months.
Reply 2
Cheers for the info and support :smile:
Original post by JWP1
Cheers for the info and support :smile:

When the GCSE were modular lots of time was lost in June of Year 10 and Jan of Year 11.

Why are you missing content? Aren't you getting support?
Original post by kgl03
you've missed at least 2 months of actual content (due to mocks that you would've taken) and the content is covered again in september. In year 11, it's just about consolidating, so they'll just go over what you know and what you 'missed', but it's not a lot: trust me. It's not a disadvantage; you've got more free time, access to teachers, and you have resources. Sure, it sucks and it's understandable, but just make the most of this free time - us year 11s were working so immensely hard and now have the next step to prepare for: utilise your time.
Your GCSEs won't be affected - you have 12 months.

I'm not sure I agree with this... At least at my school, mocks were in March so we will have missed an entire 4 months of content by the summer holidays (not sure what makes you think mocks last for 2 months hahaha), which is effectively 1/5 of the entire GCSE course once you do the maths. Sure, we're still being taught lessons online but it's harder to keep up with content and less work is being set than normal. It's hard to use the time to revise when we are already expected to do a school day's equivalent of self-motivated study and all that. (Feeling a bit like you've turned this into a competition between the difficulties your year and OP's year face, completely unnecessary. OP's situation is not easy, neither is yours)

To answer OP's question; it's too soon to say and in all honesty who knows what the government will do. But I will say this - if they allow GCSEs to go ahead as normal they will be giving a massive advantage to people have more money and access to resources (ie private school students with zoom lessons, access to their own laptop and revision guides will have it much easier in this situation than those who are merely getting worksheets/powerpoints to use during self-study and there is merely one laptop is being shared between 5 family members and no other resources). For this reason, I find it extremely hard to believe that the GCSEs will go ahead as normal, it just would not be fair. No one knows the form any changes to the exams might take - some weighting being given to teacher assessment/predicted grades? A reduction of exams? None of these are perfect solutions, of course, but they would hopefully level the playing field and ensure that the most deserving students (hard-working and intelligent) will get the top grades, not the richest.

It would also be ridiculous to expect students to sit exams as normal having missed out on nearly half a year of face-to-face learning and when we go back to school lessons will undoubtedly still be disrupted by safety precautions (eg social distancing) that we will have to take. Schools struggle to cover the content in the normal 2 years, let alone when all this has been going on.

One thing's for sure, if you work hard, you'll get the grades you deserve! Good luck.
Reply 5
TBH I thought as much. It can't simply be based on an exam even if everything returns to 'normal'. Researching yourself is not actually being taught so having missed actual proper learning time (where everyone is taught on the same level in school by a teacher) then there is immediately going to be some disadvantaged. The system then can't acknowledge this then carry on as normal. I'm hoping for a 50/50 coursework and exam GCSE's in 2021. At least everyone gets a chance that way surely?
Reply 6
Original post by apolaroidofus
I'm not sure I agree with this... At least at my school, mocks were in March so we will have missed an entire 4 months of content by the summer holidays (not sure what makes you think mocks last for 2 months hahaha), which is effectively 1/5 of the entire GCSE course once you do the maths. Sure, we're still being taught lessons online but it's harder to keep up with content and less work is being set than normal. It's hard to use the time to revise when we are already expected to do a school day's equivalent of self-motivated study and all that. (Feeling a bit like you've turned this into a competition between the difficulties your year and OP's year face, completely unnecessary. OP's situation is not easy, neither is yours)

To answer OP's question; it's too soon to say and in all honesty who knows what the government will do. But I will say this - if they allow GCSEs to go ahead as normal they will be giving a massive advantage to people have more money and access to resources (ie private school students with zoom lessons, access to their own laptop and revision guides will have it much easier in this situation than those who are merely getting worksheets/powerpoints to use during self-study and there is merely one laptop is being shared between 5 family members and no other resources). For this reason, I find it extremely hard to believe that the GCSEs will go ahead as normal, it just would not be fair. No one knows the form any changes to the exams might take - some weighting being given to teacher assessment/predicted grades? A reduction of exams? None of these are perfect solutions, of course, but they would hopefully level the playing field and ensure that the most deserving students (hard-working and intelligent) will get the top grades, not the richest.

It would also be ridiculous to expect students to sit exams as normal having missed out on nearly half a year of face-to-face learning and when we go back to school lessons will undoubtedly still be disrupted by safety precautions (eg social distancing) that we will have to take. Schools struggle to cover the content in the normal 2 years, let alone when all this has been going on.

One thing's for sure, if you work hard, you'll get the grades you deserve! Good luck.

definitely wasn't a competition - i get all years have a tough time, but they can't get rid of exams. It would cause too much riot and such: they'd most likely keep it in, but only do like 1-2 questions (so take out quite a large proportion) and then also weigh in certain factors since they have demographics.
Original post by kgl03
definitely wasn't a competition - i get all years have a tough time, but they can't get rid of exams. It would cause too much riot and such: they'd most likely keep it in, but only do like 1-2 questions (so take out quite a large proportion) and then also weigh in certain factors since they have demographics.

Ah okay, I agree! Just thought you meant that exams would continue as normal!
Reply 8
Original post by apolaroidofus
Ah okay, I agree! Just thought you meant that exams would continue as normal!

of course not: there will just be a delay in how DfE and the government relay this information and protocols, so it will be entirely frustrating for this student - which I entirely feel for. All i was saying was to just study and utilise this time to make the best advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending