kobla
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Pls help T.T

Ok so I am planning to apply to Econ&Management in Oxford and I know that the TSA is an absolutely crucial part of the application process, so I attempted a couple of past papers and....

I got an absolutely terrible score. Nowhere near enough the goal, which is at least 40/50 (for multiple choice only). I am in Year 12 right now and I want to practice more papers in summer, but I don't want to do all the past papers only to realise that I haven't improved.

So does anyone know what do I have to do to get a higher score? Can I do it on my own? Do I have to get a tutor? Buy books?

Thank you in advance!
hmmm101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are tutors available, but be careful about them, some can be quite sketchy. The same goes with books and prep courses.

The one thing I suggest that you do is do a ton of past papers. It's good that you are starting relatively early, cuz this will lead to more prep time. Make sure to check out the BMAT section 1, as the problems on their are pretty similar to the ones on the TSA. Finally, stretch your mind with logic puzzles. Doing lots of these can help you with building your intuition in logic type problems.

I also suggest checking out the Thinking Skills by John Butterworth and Geoff Thwaites.
historicism
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kobla)
Pls help T.T

Ok so I am planning to apply to Econ&Management in Oxford and I know that the TSA is an absolutely crucial part of the application process, so I attempted a couple of past papers and....

I got an absolutely terrible score. Nowhere near enough the goal, which is at least 40/50 (for multiple choice only). I am in Year 12 right now and I want to practice more papers in summer, but I don't want to do all the past papers only to realise that I haven't improved.

So does anyone know what do I have to do to get a higher score? Can I do it on my own? Do I have to get a tutor? Buy books?

Thank you in advance!
Past papers are really the best way to prepare. I'd be wary of starting right now, though, as you may run out of questions to practice with by the time October comes around.

I found this lecture series [https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/cri...ning-beginners] very helpful for the critical thinking questions.

Good luck!
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 1 year ago
Something that I found really useful when preparing for the TSA was the videos that Jesus College put out walking you through both sections (if you search Jesus College TSA on YouTube it should come up). Also just practicing some papers really helps to get the hang of things
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kobla)

The admissions tests are designed to test academic ability and potential. You may get some benefit from tutoring, but I'd start by following the advice on the TSA page (it mentions a few books).

As with any past papers, you need to get the maximum value from them. I'm not that familiar with the TSA, so the following is more general advice, and may not apply to some questions. Look at every question, and try every approach that you can, then compare them, and try to see if there are any shortcuts. At this stage, it's not about doing the questions to a time budget, but fully understanding them. You will need to spend a lot of time to do that, but it will make you better able to tackle new problems. Use diagrams, truth tables etc whenever you can. You know the approximate time that each question should take, so, in an exam, you need to be aware of the complexity limit that this implies.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 year ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
P.S. It might be useful to also look at the MAT's logic questions.
hmmm101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also remembered one thing. The US has a competition for it's 6th-8th graders(years 7-9 for Brits i think considering y'all are one year ahead of us) called the AMC 8. It has some good math problems that make you apply knowledge on basic topics like fractions, percentages, spatial reasoning, etc. Some of the questions will be harder than the TSA, but it is all good practice and will give you more material to improve your pattern recognition and problem solving skills.

Brilliant.org has a logic course, which provides logic questions and answers. You do have to pay a member ship though.
louisa03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I compiled my tips for the TSA here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post94645638

I found "Think you can think? Cracking the Thinking Skills Assessment" really helpful. If you need more past papers, try out BMAT Section 2 and the old Critical Thinking A Level questions!
hapaxlegomenon27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
Hiya, I got 78.4 on the TSA last year and have an offer from Oxford. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions or are looking for advice. I'm also doing some TSA tutoring sessions so if you'd like some extra support then hmu!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (111)
27.61%
England (140)
34.83%
Belgium (30)
7.46%
Germany (41)
10.2%
Spain (9)
2.24%