The Student Room Group

pulleys and friction

box on rough surface: mass=0.8kg Friction=F N
spherical mass on pulley mass=1.2 kg
assume rope on the pulley is inextensible.
a) find the acceleration of the sphere
b)tension in the rope
c)find F
I am currently also working on it. tell me if you have any tips you might have. I am assuming F to be a constant for a). this is a maths question so g=9.8 thanks in advance.
Is the box connected to the spherical mass by the rope, and is the pulley at the end of the rough surface (so the pulley is also at the end and the spherical mass is hanging)?
Original post by β0b
box on rough surface: mass=0.8kg Friction=F N
spherical mass on pulley mass=1.2 kg
assume rope on the pulley is inextensible.
a) find the acceleration of the sphere
b)tension in the rope
c)find F
I am currently also working on it. tell me if you have any tips you might have. I am assuming F to be a constant for a). this is a maths question so g=9.8 thanks in advance.

Post your working and we can help - draw a diagram -
Sorry for the really rough drawing, but is this what you mean?

97628734_539685753358838_702254490362839040_n.jpg
Original post by Bexr

Please do not post a solution :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Bexr

I got a similar diagram I am still doing a so I have ignored the tension seen as it cancels out. the only thing is both weights are in kg not g.
edit: sorry ignore the g bit. I'm silly :s-smilie:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Please do not post a solution :smile:

does this count as a solution? so far I have 9.8-F ms^-2
also, it is difficult to draw a diagram for me seen as I don't have a camera or a phone to do it quickly. but I will explain with the other guy's diagram.
mine ignores the R and G for the box as too my knowledge it is currently not relevant. it also assumes G to be 9.8 so I subbed it in for 11.772N
this is the small (and therefore concerning for the 3 marks it is worth) amount of maths I have done.
F=MA
A=F/M
F=(11.772-f)/M =9.8-f
something seems wrong here.
@Muttley79 it's not a solution - I was trying to ascertain exactly what the question said, as it seemed from the original post that not all info was included
@Bexr - sorry busy doing TSR quiz at the moment
Reply 9
Original post by Bexr
@Muttley79 it's not a solution - I was trying to ascertain exactly what the question said, as it seemed from the original post that not all info was included

touche there is the full file. not sure why I didn't include it in the first post.
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay, so to find acceleration ...

HINT: you are given distance and time, so not F=ma but ....?
Reply 11
Original post by Bexr
Okay, so to find acceleration ...

HINT: you are given distance and time, so not F=ma but ....?

"touche," I noticed it as soon as I read the rest XD ty:biggrin:
I've completed the question, so if you wanna compare answers just let me know :smile:
Original post by β0b
I got a similar diagram I am still doing a so I have ignored the tension seen as it cancels out. the only thing is both weights are in kg not g.
edit: sorry ignore the g bit. I'm silly :s-smilie:

You can't ignore T - you need to use F = ma on the sphere and then again on the box.

Quick Reply

Latest