Is a voluntary body a business or a consumer in contract law?

Watch
iamvicky97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi!

I have a problem question in contract law as to the application of the Customer Rights Act 2015.
I have been searching everywhere but with no luck. If a voluntary body of 3 volunteers that performs recitals in elderly people houses and churches buys an second-hand printer from an accountancy firm, can it have a protection under the Customer Rights Act 2015? Or is the voluntary body considered a business?
I am not sure which act would have the application regarding the unfair terms, whether it would be the CRA 2015 or UCTA 1977
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by iamvicky97)
Hi!

I have a problem question in contract law as to the application of the Customer Rights Act 2015.
I have been searching everywhere but with no luck. If a voluntary body of 3 volunteers that performs recitals in elderly people houses and churches buys an second-hand printer from an accountancy firm, can it have a protection under the Customer Rights Act 2015? Or is the voluntary body considered a business?
I am not sure which act would have the application regarding the unfair terms, whether it would be the CRA 2015 or UCTA 1977
Is the invoice made out to a business or a private individual?
iamvicky97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Is the invoice made out to a business or a private individual?
Honestly, looking into the question there is just an individual signing the document of sale on behalf of the voluntary body he represents. There is nothing else mentioned that could help. :c
moniok
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
do you by any chance go to queen's Belfast hahah I have the exact same problem question and am ****ing confused?
iamvicky97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by moniok)
do you by any chance go to queen's Belfast hahah I have the exact same problem question and am ****ing confused?
Yeah haha, I thought i would choose this question cause it looked easy. I solved the issue of incorporation, construction and now I'm stuck with this one 😂 guess i found an answer, CRA contains a provision that it applies only to individuals, groups of local residents are not subject to it.
moniok
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you’re on the group chat give me a shout, I kind of skipped over construction because I thought we would need more information as to the Actual words used .. I just briefly mentioned the existence of contra proferentem but said that the CRA was to be used now
iamvicky97
Rep:
?
(Original post by moniok)
If you’re on the group chat give me a shout, I kind of skipped over construction because I thought we would need more information as to the Actual words used .. I just briefly mentioned the existence of contra proferentem but said that the CRA was to be used now
Aaaah, is it the group chat for the second year? I was only invited to the freshers group,😂
moniok
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aaaah, is it the group chat for the second year? I was only invited to the freshers group,😂
Ah yeah it is haha if you want to be added message me your fb name and I’ll add you too it, violated haha
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
I believe its answered on practical law if you have access and in the preamble to the act. I started looking for you but got bored. Thast where I would look though. I only spent 5 mins on it...
iamvicky97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I believe its answered on practical law if you have access and in the preamble to the act. I started looking for you but got bored. Thast where I would look though. I only spent 5 mins on it...
Yeah, it only says that it does not apply to small businesses and legal organisations. I'm struggling to figure it out whether a voluntary body is a business if it operates non-profit🙄
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, it only says that it does not apply to small businesses and legal organisations. I'm struggling to figure it out whether a voluntary body is a business if it operates non-profit🙄
It usually is, yes. Fair warning, IANAL, but I would say that the CRA does NOT apply in this case. If the invoice is made out to the voluntary organisation, it was not a purchase by an individual.
bagger288
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!

What are the definitions of consumer and trader?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...pter/1/enacted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.27%
Less motivated (189)
68.73%

Watched Threads