The Student Room Group

Universities to apply to for law

Hello,
I am a student from Toronto, Canada who wants to pursue law in the UK. I was given a list of universities to chose from, but I don't know what is best for me. I am looking for a school that is near a city, diverse and has great learning environment; i.e. good professors, courses, etc. Is there any schools you would recommend for me to check out? Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi

I’m a UK student stating my LLB degree in September (hopefully). The Uni of Sussex has a fantastic international reputation and is really close to Brighton so could be a good one to check out!
Other good UK law universities that I know a little bit about include Kent which is relatively close to Canterbury and UEA but that is a little further out from Norwich.

Best of luck!
Original post by yanika
Hello,
I am a student from Toronto, Canada who wants to pursue law in the UK. I was given a list of universities to chose from, but I don't know what is best for me. I am looking for a school that is near a city, diverse and has great learning environment; i.e. good professors, courses, etc. Is there any schools you would recommend for me to check out? Thank you!

I was just wondering if you would be happy to share the list of universities and you UK equivalent grades?

Generally the top unis for Law are Russell Group:
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
Durham University
University of Edinburgh (course is a year longer)
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow (course is a year longer)
Imperial College London
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham (campus based uni but still near a city)
University of Oxford
Queen Mary, University of London
Queen's University Belfast
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University College London
University of Warwick
University of York (a cathedral city - much smaller)

If you’re looking for a city ‘vibe’ I would look at the universities in bold. Obviously there’s quite a few there, it depends how large of a city you want!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lawcalling
I was just wondering if you would be happy to share the list of universities and you UK equivalent grades?

Generally the top unis for Law are Russell Group:
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
Durham University
University of Edinburgh (course is a year longer)
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow (course is a year longer)
Imperial College London
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham (campus based uni)
University of Oxford
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Sheffield
University College London
University of Warwick
University of York

If you’re looking for a city ‘vibe’ I would look at the universities in bold. Obviously there’s quite a few there, depends how large of a city you want!

Thank you for replying!

The universities that my counselor told me about are:
University of Birmingham
University of Kent
University of Exeter
University of Leeds
University of York
University of Essex
University of Sussex
University of London City
Royal Holloway University of London

I am applying for a law program at one of the universities above. Please let me know which one you prefer. Since I am going there on my own I want to be somewhere that has easy access to things like cafes, libraries, restaurants, etc. Coming from Toronto I live in the city so I don't want to go to a secluded place.
Original post by yanika
Thank you for replying!

University of Birmingham
University of Kent
University of Exeter
University of Leeds
University of York
University of Essex
University of Sussex

I am applying for a law program at one of the universities above. Please let me know which one you prefer. Since I am going there on my own I want to be somewhere that has easy access to things like cafes, libraries, restaurants, etc. Coming from Toronto I live in the city so I don't want to go to a secluded place.

Hey there! :smile:
I'm currently in my final year at Kent, although I don't study Law unfortunately so I can't say much about the course, but I can help give you an idea of what student life is like :smile:
If you did want to find out more about the course, you can use Kent's Unibuddy programme to find and chat to current Law students and ask them any questions about the course - Unibuddy

If you're looking for lots of places to eat, or things to do then I think Kent has a lot to offer! The campus has about 5 bars, a gym, cinema, nightclub, huge library and lots of places to eat, so there's loads to do. Also, one thing that was super important to me when choosing a university was that the campus was still close enough to the city for transport links and things to do. The Kent campus is about a 20 minute walk from Canterbury city centre which is so handy :biggrin: Canterbury is a really pretty city, and there are loads of places to eat and drink, and a good selection of shops too. There's also lots of pretty gardens and beautiful buildings, which makes it a really nice place just to be :smile: You can also get a bus to the beach in just a few minutes as well, which I loved doing during exam season last year! Also, you can get a high-speed train into London in less than an hour too.

If you have any questions about Kent at all, please feel free to ask! :biggrin: I hope this little overview was useful!
Original post by yanika
Thank you for replying!

University of Birmingham
University of Kent
University of Exeter
University of Leeds
University of York
University of Essex
University of Sussex

I agree with the above! A rough estimation of A-Level equivalents would be great as we can then judge the ‘best’ university for you based off your predicted grades. Nw if you’re not happy to share, we’ll try our best!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yanika
Thank you for replying!

University of Birmingham
University of Kent
University of Exeter
University of Leeds
University of York
University of Essex
University of Sussex

Assuming you plan to practice law back in Canada, you'd have to write NCA exams before getting called to the Bar. In this case, schools that offer canadian content may help you when you return. ULaw and City UoL offer canadian content. Both are in London. Since you're used to the GTA, you're best off refraining from most of the unis listed above. I would look at Ulaw, City, Greenwich, QMUL, and Brunel. I'd consider SOAS but they seem to focus on Asian/African law.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending