The Student Room Group

Heriot-Watt Removes Alex Salmond Monument

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The truth is that AS is finished, another example of someone having their livelihoods destroyed without committing a crime. Lots more examples of that, to reflect this new and growing phenomenon. Just another aspect that is beyond the grasp of many students nowadays, instigated by... whom?
Original post by Johnathan94
After having been cleared of all sexual assault charges earlier this year (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/23/alex-salmond-acquitted-of-all-charges-in-sexual-assault-trial), Heriot-Watt has decided to remove a monument on campus that features a quote from Salmond expressing his support for their free tuition policy. Curious to hear what people think. Certainly seems political to me.

The lack of any direct fee liability in Scotland is hugely popular amongst Scottish students so I’m guessing that isn’t their reasoning behind it but the same day charges were filed against Salmond the students’ association put up a Facebook poll, which it promptly took down after it attracted negative press attention.

The University’s official line is that it has taken down the monument to make way for some commemoration celebrating its international diversity, because where else are they going to fit a second installation on their campus...?261E3CD6-C1E8-4AF1-972D-74DBC9AAB88E.jpg.jpeg

Because now you have to prove your innocence. Nowadays it’s guilty until proven innocent unfortunately
Original post by 04MR17
That is perfectly possible. If that staff member or student received a jury duty summons and had already participated in the university-based conversation then they may be entitled to be exempt from the case due to this circumstance. If that staff member or student has not already participated in the conversation then I still can't see how the institution itself can be accused of interfering in a criminal trial.

But you've also told me that the poll outcome was to keep it. You're suggesting that not only have Heriot-Watt interfered in a criminal trial but that they're also going to go against the poll of students that they've conducted in the first place?

As far as I can tell, "find a new location" is just another way of phrasing "we will move it". It's just how it's phrased, I don't expect the vice chancellor to be wandering around campus with a pair of binoculars looking for an appropriate space.

Well you’d need to ask the students’ association what the turnout was but they’re unlikely to tell you as they never actually released the results of the poll - they just took it down after a day or two when the papers started reporting on it. But it was noted by the papers/participants that it was at 60 - 40 (it was a binary choice) at the time it was removed. They’ve never denied this and the figure has been reported by a number of outlets. Not sure I see what you’re driving at though? If the turnout is low then somehow the University has a mandate for it?

If you really can’t appreciate why publicly visible Facebook polls conducted by public institutions are inappropriate during a criminal trial, in the locality of that trial, where the punishment could have been a huge prison term... can’t help you there. I suspect you’d feel differently if it were your life on the line but it wasn’t so screw principles right?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YourClassLiberal
Because now you have to prove your innocence. Nowadays it’s guilty until proven innocent unfortunately

But the trial has already taken place and he was acquitted? For all practical purposes, he has proven his innocence.
But the trial has already taken place and he was acquitted? For all practical purposes, he has proven his innocence.

But that’s not enough for some people. Some people think because you are accused you must be guilty, another example are people like Michael Jackson who have been acquitted in court, but people still don’t believe in their innocence. It’s a sad state of affairs
Original post by ChrisW99
Well i just checked and it's actually a large stone with an engraved quote on tuition fees.

So maybe check your definition of monument before you actually use the word.

It commemorates the scrapping of tuition fees in Scotland, does it not? And arguably commemorates the person the quote is sourced from. Having your name and philosophies inscribed in stone is rarely a form of abuse.

Also, try not behave like a cretin. Or am I not using that word correctly either?

36EEB103-D14B-44DF-AD0D-B5CAF8590C5D.jpg.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
Well you’d need to ask the students’ association what the turnout was but they’re unlikely to tell you as they never actually released the results of the poll - they just took it down after a day or two when the papers started reporting on it. But it was noted by the papers/participants that it was at 60 - 40 (it was a binary choice) at the time it was removed. They’ve never denied this and the figure has been reported by a number of outlets. Not sure I see what you’re driving at though? If the turnout is low then somehow the University has a mandate for it?

If you really can’t appreciate why publicly visible Facebook polls conducted by public institutions are inappropriate during a criminal trial, in the locality of that trial, where the punishment could have been a huge prison term... can’t help you there. I suspect you’d feel differently if it were your life on the line but it wasn’t so screw principles right?
The poll that I've seen wasn't publicly visible. A link to it was provided on the association's facebook page, but the poll itself required a university login. A public facebook poll has no guarantee that voters are students or staff members. I've seen the facebook post, it's still there.

What I'm driving at is that there are a number of factors in a poll result which may determine the decisions made as a result. Without that information available I would find it difficult to judge a decision that was made based on said information.

I'm not sure what principles I'm supposed to be screwing. You've suggested that this interfered with a criminal trial, the only argument you've offered is the possibility of a jury duty summons of an individual, not an institution. If you wish to offer more reasons I'd be happy to discuss it further, but I can't produce arguments on your behalf.
Original post by 04MR17
The poll that I've seen wasn't publicly visible. A link to it was provided on the association's facebook page, but the poll itself required a university login. A public facebook poll has no guarantee that voters are students or staff members. I've seen the facebook post, it's still there.

What I'm driving at is that there are a number of factors in a poll result which may determine the decisions made as a result. Without that information available I would find it difficult to judge a decision that was made based on said information.

I'm not sure what principles I'm supposed to be screwing. You've suggested that this interfered with a criminal trial, the only argument you've offered is the possibility of a jury duty summons of an individual, not an institution. If you wish to offer more reasons I'd be happy to discuss it further, but I can't produce arguments on your behalf.

So a poll that was posted to association’s Facebook page (which is publicly visible), and went on to be reported in national newspapers is in fact not a public poll? Tell me, because apparently I need educating on the subject, what would they need to have done to make the poll public? Personally find every resident in Edinburgh and demand they participate in it?

You’re right about the participants not necessarily being students, staff or alumni but surely that’s a criticism of their methods rather than mine? It also just goes to underline even further that they were speculating on his guilt in a very public way. And please don’t insult me by suggesting that launching this poll a matter of hours/days after he was charged was about anything other than those charges. The thing had been there for years. Incidentally, if the poll had been 60-40 in favour of removal, would you still be invoking this argument?

The principles that you’re disregarding are the person’s right to a fair trial. You wouldn’t like a public body like a university putting up a Facebook poll on the question of your guilt and you know that
(edited 3 years ago)
It commemorates the scrapping of tuition fees in Scotland, does it not? And arguably commemorates the person the quote is sourced from. Having your name and philosophies inscribed in stone is rarely a form of abuse.

Also, try not behave like a cretin. Or am I not using that word correctly either?

36EEB103-D14B-44DF-AD0D-B5CAF8590C5D.jpg.jpeg

No you actually aren't.

In the media it's a "tuition fees stone", "Salmond stone". Some go as far as "commemorative stone". Even a Guardian journalist has a better grasp of vocabulary than you.
No you actually aren't.

In the media it's a "tuition fees stone", "Salmond stone". Some go as far as "commemorative stone". Even a Guardian journalist has a better grasp of vocabulary than you.

Ah yes, the undisputed final word on the acceptable use of language... newspapers.

Believe me, I really don’t need to have my vocabulary signed off on by you. Always happy to have an argument with someone who has a point of substance to make but telling me I’m using a word incorrectly because that isn’t how it’s referred to in newspapers isn’t a sign of substance, it’s a sign of substance abuse.
I'll respond to the other bits later when I'm on my laptop.

The principles that you’re disregarding are the person’s right to a fair trial. You wouldn’t like a public body like a university putting up a Facebook poll on the question of your guilt and you know that
Me not liking something, and it being interference in a criminal court is a completely different thing. I don't like stepping on a piece of lego. That doesn't mean I'm going to sue Lego for injury.
Ah yes, the undisputed final word on the acceptable use of language... newspapers.

Believe me, I really don’t need to have my vocabulary signed off on by you. Always happy to have an argument with someone who has a point of substance to make but telling me I’m using a word incorrectly because that isn’t how it’s referred to in newspapers isn’t a sign of substance, it’s a sign of substance abuse.

Did you do a draft before sending me this?

I'm not telling you because it's referred to in a particular way in newspapers. I'm pointing out that they have actually bothered to use language correctly.
Did you do a draft before sending me this?

I'm not telling you because it's referred to in a particular way in newspapers. I'm pointing out that they have actually bothered to use language correctly.

I think you’ll find that rather than have a linguistic argument, which I might have enjoyed (since I received a degree in English before I went on to study an LLB 😉), you simply started quoting newspapers. I’d have been happy to talk to you about linguistic prescription but as it is, you didn’t decide to take that approach. Instead you chose to quote some newspapers - with some ironically poor grammar as it happens.

At any rate, this exchange is getting truly pathetic. Perhaps it’s best to just put it to one side? Thanks for your comments, even though they were entirely unrelated to the subject.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think you’ll find that rather than have a linguistic argument, which I might have enjoyed (since I received a degree in English before I went on to study an LLB 😉), you simply started quoting newspapers. I’d have been happy to talk to you about linguistic prescription but as it is, you didn’t decide to take that approach. Instead you chose to quote some newspapers - with some ironically poor grammar as it happens.

At any rate, this exchange is getting truly pathetic. Perhaps it’s best to just put it to one side. Thanks for your comments, even though they were entirely unrelated to the subject.

A degree in English means you know and understand every word in the English language?

I think "monumentally pathetic" might be more appropriate.
A degree in English means you know and understand every word in the English language?

Just for the record, no, of course having a degree in English doesn’t mean that. But I think I’m allowed to take some level of comfort from it when some random individual suggests that I can’t write in coherent English. Someone who again, had absolutely nothing meaningful to add to the conversation.

Obviously one person appreciates it but that “monumentally pathetic” line would probably have been a lot funnier if I’d recently sustained a blow to the head.
(edited 3 years ago)
Just got the record, no, of course having a degree in English doesn’t mean that. But I think I’m allowed to take some level of comfort from it when some random individual suggests that I can’t write in coherent English. Someone who again, had absolutely nothing meaningful to add to the conversation.

Obviously one person appreciates it but that “monumentally pathetic” line would probably have been a lot funnier if I’d recently sustained a blow to the head.

I never suggested that. You write very well.
Shall we return to debating the point, not the person folks? :smile:

So a poll that was posted to association’s Facebook page (which is publicly visible), and went on to be reported in national newspapers is in fact not a public poll? Tell me, because apparently I need educating on the subject, what would they need to have done to make the poll public? Personally find every resident in Edinburgh and demand they participate in it?

You’re right about the participants not necessarily being students, staff or alumni but surely that’s a criticism of their methods rather than mine? It also just goes to underline even further that they were speculating on his guilt in a very public way. And please don’t insult me by suggesting that launching this poll a matter of hours/days after he was charged was about anything other than those charges. The thing had been there for years. Incidentally, if the poll had been 60-40 in favour of removal, would you still be invoking this argument?
I think there may have been some confusion here. A link to a poll shared in a facebook post is different to a facebook poll.

Here is a facebook poll.
Here is the facebook post HWSU made.

Here is the poll they used.

As the last image clearly asks you to login to view the results, this poll was not public. Nor should it have been in my personal view, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Which argument would I still be invoking? That I'd want to see the same information as the decision makers before passing judgement on their decision? Yes, I would.
Reply 37
It's incredible that the university agreed to put up this ridiculous, self-aggrandising monument in the first place. Hopefully it'll slide out of view and out of memory.

Let's not forget, it wasn't hard to know when this was unveiled what sort of man Alex Salmond was. Many people were happy to go along with the Trumpian sleazebag because of Scotland's love of African-style Big Man politics and others because of the nationalism he whipped up. It's embarrassing.

I can't pretend to know precisely why it is being removed. I don't understand why it was allowed. But am I happy it's going? Definitely.

Chris, I've already had dealings with "Johnathan 94" and for all his bragging about his English degree, he has next to no grasp of the subject. He does like to throw a tantrum though, when contradicted.
Original post by TabithaFord99
Chris, I've already had dealings with "Johnathan 94" and for all his bragging about his English degree, he has next to no grasp of the subject. He does like to throw a tantrum though, when contradicted.

:rofl:

I do love provoking people but on this occasion I was making a genuine point that i don't think "monument" is appropriate. He didn't take it well at all and then the fun really began.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending