rmoss2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Has anyone ever (or know of anyone who has) successfully deferred Their undergrad offer from Cambridge uni? If so what are the requirements and how do people think that these will Have changed due to corona?
Buttmuffin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rmoss2001)
Has anyone ever (or know of anyone who has) successfully deferred Their undergrad offer from Cambridge uni? If so what are the requirements and how do people think that these will Have changed due to corona?
Yes. I know a few people that successfully deferred their UG offer

No 'requirements' - just email them, ask for it.

With regards to covid:

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2020...ce=parsely-api

“So the first thing is to say, we are doing everything we possibly can to ensure that all students, including freshers, will get the best possible student experience, education and whole student experience within the limitations of the Covid response. If a student, an offer holder, says in the light of what we’ve said we want you to defer our place, we are not going to consider that until later in the summer. Crucially if a student wishes to defer for what we may describe as normal reasons, and a student has been ill for example or their family circumstances are very difficult, we usually would consider an application for deferral.”
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They are difficult to get, and coronavirus is not sufficient reason - they have made that clear for PG courses where the deferral options remain the same as they ever were, pretty much nil. What they usually do is just ask you to apply again, unless you have some circumstance that is out of your control like a health issue which would make you unfit to attend for the year.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would note insofar as coronavirus is concerned, while lectures are planned to be held online, the gist of the plans seem to be to have supervisions (and possibly/probably labs and classes) continue to run with social distancing measures in place. Since those are arguably the "core" of teaching at Cambridge (especially for "arts" subjects) with lectures just being more of a starting point or rough outline that aren't strictly required for you to attend, in theory it shouldn't make a huge difference, and you would still be in college with most if not all of the amenities that offers...

As above, I doubt they will permit people to defer purely because of coronavirus and the fear that their education will somehow be diminished due to having some of the teaching done online. The fear also seems somewhat unfounded since following a lecture online isn't going to be particularly different to just sitting in a lecture theatre taking notes; it's not like you are going to be (or certainly should be) sat chatting with your friends in that format, and in standard lectures (at least at other unis than Cambridge, and with the supervision format at Cambridge I would imagine even moreso) there is not typically a great deal of lecturer-student interaction. Usually it will just be the lecturer talking through the material and writing it on a board (as applicable), occasionally stopping to say "have you all finished writing this" or "does anyone have any questions" before swiftly moving on after a noncommittal murmur from their audience.

edit: if teaching is a concern, this article: https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/19266 outlines some of the University's plans for the upcoming teaching year, as laid out by the Pro-VC for Education. Notably as I anticipated above, they are planning to have supervisions, seminars, and practicals still held in person as usual.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 6 months ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Highly unlikely that they will allow you to do so, particularly if it's just coronavirus related. If you can't take up your place in October, you'll be asked to reapply next year, with the next cohort. You need to have a good reason to defer, and be able to evidence it as appropriate.

What are you reasons for wanting to defer? We can then give you a more likely indication of if your college might consider it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads