The Student Room Group

Controversy at infants and primary school

I just want the opinions of those working in education about the following which happened in my classes during the early years of education.

Infants:-

1) The teacher would sometimes ask a naughty kid to take their shoes off, so that they could confiscate them for a few hours as punishment in the classroom.

2) Kids were often asked to place their heads on their desks whilst sitting down if the class became too noisy.

3) The head teacher would sometimes lose their temper at naughty kids and grab and shake them to their senses.

Junior school:-

1) A teacher would sometimes grab a kid by the back of the neck as the kid sat down to start reading to him in an otherwise empty room. The teacher was trying to be friendly as though we were one of his own kids, as opposed to being violent.

2) The head teacher and deputy head teacher would sometimes poke at or gently slap naughty kids on the back of their heads, as if to tell them to be on their way and to learn from this for next time.

Did the teachers in question, both junior and senior teachers, break the law with any of the above behaviour?
Shaking is definitely against the law. The others probably not, that doesn't make them right though. When was this..?
(edited 3 years ago)
Different times I guess. I once had a science teacher who used to through stuff when he was angry, boardrubbers (blackboards as was the 90s) test tubes, books etc. Would be struck off now.
You really need to tell us what year these things happened in- the law has changed over time.

Today, the shaking and the slapping on the back of the head would be illegal. The rest would be seen as bad practice but probably not breaking any laws.

Quick Reply

Latest