fwasddf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Due to COVID-19 we cant do mock in school. This is a shame as that was my chance to push my Bio grade from that B to an A and show my improvement in organic chemistry. Now our school said that they will be using the homework they set online to base our predicted grades which i don't think is the best approach. How are the other yr12 being given predicted grades
As a whole, all of us yr12 have really been screwed over by COVID-19
xsowmix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by fwasddf)
Due to COVID-19 we cant do mock in school. This is a shame as that was my chance to push my Bio grade from that B to an A and show my improvement in organic chemistry. Now our school said that they will be using the homework they set online to base our predicted grades which i don't think is the best approach. How are the other yr12 being given predicted grades
at least you know what they are using to predict them. my school has not given any information on predictions so its kinda annoying as i'm a med applicant so i have to apply in october
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You've been told what your predicted grades will be based on- so now's your chance to work hard and show you are deserving of your predicted A grade. You're far better off putting your energy into that than complaining about the system.

If there's a specific reason why you think you'd be disadvantaged compared to others by this approach, then maybe raise it with your head of sixth, but otherwise I think you just have to accept your teachers are doing what they can with the information they'll have available.
fwasddf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You've been told what your predicted grades will be based on- so now's your chance to work hard and show you are deserving of your predicted A grade. You're far better off putting your energy into that than complaining about the system.

If there's a specific reason why you think you'd be disadvantaged compared to others by this approach, then maybe raise it with your head of sixth, but otherwise I think you just have to accept your teachers are doing what they can with the information they'll have available.
I understand that however what this will lead to is some schools underpredicting and other schools overpredicting grades. Stats shows that BAME students are more likely to be underpredicted, which i am a part of and this wasnt the first time.
My teachers have predicted me 6's and 7's in my GCSE when i had gotten 3 8's and 2 9's and rest 7's in Mock GCSE and in the real GCSE got 5 9's 2 8's and 3 7's.
I fear that my school will underpredict me again and this time it will cost me as it affects which unis i can apply to
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I understand that however what this will lead to is some schools underpredicting and other schools overpredicting grades. Stats shows that BAME students are more likely to be underpredicted, which i am a part of and this wasnt the first time.
My teachers have predicted me 6's and 7's in my GCSE when i had gotten 3 8's and 2 9's and rest 7's in Mock GCSE and in the real GCSE got 5 9's 2 8's and 3 7's.
I fear that my school will underpredict me again and this time it will cost me as it affects which unis i can apply to
UCAS predicted grades are always useless- they're notoriously inaccurate.

Predicted grades are just one part of your application- with 5 grade 9s at GCSE, you've got a strong accademic profile, and you can still apply to some top unis- predictions don't control this. Obviously it will make your application slightly less competitive, but unis will know that predictions are based on even less evidence than usual.

If you recieve your predictions and you feel they're too low, you can always discuss them with your teachers- however, I don't really know what else you expect them to do, given the circumstances?
Aaaaaaaaaa1111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you reckon that this year unis will place greater emphasis on GCSEs since UCAS predicted grades are very unreliable for 2021 entry?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads