a second peak of the virus in the UK

Watch
hannahd0236
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Do you think there will be a second peak of the virus in the UK?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Probably. But very much limited as people are much more aware and careful. There are also fewer opportunities for mass gatherings which is where the high chances of infection are.
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Probably. But very much limited as people are much more aware and careful. There are also fewer opportunities for mass gatherings which is where the high chances of infection are.
Yes, people are now more cautious of the dangers of the virus but I saw on a news article yesterday that at the weekend most people were in gatherings at beaches when it was that hottest day of the year so far.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Probably. As we ease back to normality and away from lockdown people will go out more and be around more people. It’s only natural that this would lead to a second wave. How big it is, is another question.
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
Probably. As we ease back to normality and away from lockdown people will go out more and be around more people. It’s only natural that this would lead to a second wave. How big it is, is another question.
I agree and i believe that this second peak (if we do get one) will be much worse than the first and so it will overwhelm the NHS at a bigger stake and will kill more people as a result. It is just so scary how things with the virus change everyday including the infection and death numbers.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well, considering how many people are going out and about now, with little regard for social distancing, I'd say a second (deadlier) wave is quite likely. I'd like to be wrong on that.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hannahd0236)
Do you think there will be a second peak of the virus in the UK?
Possible as many are flocking to beaches etc.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bound to happen but very little to worry about.
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Possible as many are flocking to beaches etc.
Yes I saw at the weekend many people were in gatherings at beaches when it was the hottest day a couple days ago.
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Bound to happen but very little to worry about.
Hopefully it doesn't happen. If the gov get their heads into gear with things like testing, the risk will be minimal.
Jmonay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I live in nyc and it’s a lot of cases of the virus and the news did report it’s supposed to be a 2nd wave of this virus . This is very depressing how this coronavirus just spread through out the world affecting many ppl .
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jmonay)
I live in nyc and it’s a lot of cases of the virus and the news did report it’s supposed to be a 2nd wave of this virus . This is very depressing how this coronavirus just spread through out the world affecting many ppl .
I agree, how do the cases and deaths in NYC compare to ours in the UK? It is horrible that this virus doesn't discriminate.
How are the USA's government responding to the coronavirus cause I know the UK government's response is slow and shocking.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I would say the UK has nothing to worry about.

With a "world beating" track and trace system.

Covid-19 is over lol.

Between ICU Boris and PPE Hancock... What's to fear, but fear itself.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes, people are now more cautious of the dangers of the virus but I saw on a news article yesterday that at the weekend most people were in gatherings at beaches when it was that hottest day of the year so far.
Yes - but not gatherings like a football match where everyone is up close and personal. Lots of people were on the beach. Still quite a bit of distance between people.

We shouldn't forget that the vast majority of people are not carrying the virus.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think there will be multiple waves because the virus isn't going away and realistically we can't keep everyone in lockdown. More people out and about means the virus will spread. We have flu seasons every year which are basically booms of virus going round. Get used to covid-19 booms.

What really matters is if the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hopefully it doesn't happen. If the gov get their heads into gear with things like testing, the risk will be minimal.
The Government couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. The risk is already minimal for most people even more so young people.
chi2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's very difficult, I'm not saying there won't be a second wave but some promising developments (not related to vaccines):

- the mutation of the virus is slow and some of the mutation is actually decreasing the transmissibility of the virus https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...05.21.108506v1
- various nations across Europe have not seen a major increase in cases after easing some measures (I know there are many caveats and it's quite early, but it's something)
- many more people have got coronavirus than realised, even the estimate of 5% of the UK population is quite significant especially when we don't know the distribution of this in terms of how mobile people are etc. (what I mean by this is those who are most susceptible to getting the virus could be those who have been infected, so when you look at a typical SIR model then the transmission could be slower in the future)
- hopefully temporary societal changes such as social distancing, no large gatherings etc will keep the R continually lower so that the virus fizzles out
- previous outbreaks of coronavirus (SARS, MERS) show that it is possible to fizzle out, it will just take much longer with this virus
Last edited by chi2; 6 months ago
hannahd0236
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
I would say the UK has nothing to worry about.

With a "world beating" track and trace system.

Covid-19 is over lol.

Between ICU Boris and PPE Hancock... What's to fear, but fear itself.
Love how you put 'world-beating' in brackets haha. I think the main thing that we're struggling with is the testing.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TigerRoll)
I think there will be multiple waves because the virus isn't going away and realistically we can't keep everyone in lockdown. More people out and about means the virus will spread. We have flu seasons every year which are basically booms of virus going round. Get used to covid-19 booms.

What really matters is if the healthcare system becomes overwhelmed.
By Fall of 2021 we should have a vaccine similar to flu, it's not very effective.... Covid-19 won't be eradicated or anything. But the deaths and rush on the hospitals won't be so severe anymore at any given point. That it will be just an unfortunate virus you can come down with. Likely by then they'll aso develop some drugs that if you do get it, it will prevent or at least diminish the cyclotine storm that kills people. Either way science takes time... That's the sad part.

But let's not be impatient or unrealistic, until then we do need to have some forms of social distancing....
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Love how you put 'world-beating' in brackets haha. I think the main thing that we're struggling with is the testing.
Wanted to be very clear.. That those weren't my words 🧐😂😂.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads