average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have to write a GCSE essay answering this question:
"This island is a fairy-tale, but it is also a grim morality tale.”

-Does anyone know how I would structure this-do I need an introduction and conclusion-how many paragraphs do I need?
-Do I need to have one paragraph focusing on fairy-tale and one focusing on morality, or could I do a paragraph that has both in it?

I would love any suggestions, thanks
Omgcobbly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that depends on how many marks it is, and what level you're aiming for.

do a little introduction, doesn't have to be too long. I would aim for two points for each, I did one point per paragraph but you don't have to. ALWAYS do a conclusion for this sort of essay, you need to bring all your ideas together and say if you agree/disagree.
average_human
Rep:
?
(Original post by Omgcobbly)
that depends on how many marks it is, and what level you're aiming for.

do a little introduction, doesn't have to be too long. I would aim for two points for each, I did one point per paragraph but you don't have to. ALWAYS do a conclusion for this sort of essay, you need to bring all your ideas together and say if you agree/disagree.
ok thank you
kjudd33
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Intro is generally 10% of word count for essays, conclusion, between 5 and 10%. I would do as others have suggested and do one point per paragraph but making sure you have a strong linking sentence in the first paragraph to show coherence between them. It’s an essay - don’t use subheadings and try and stick to more formal language, not colloquialisms.
Good luck.
average_human
Rep:
?
(Original post by kjudd33)
Intro is generally 10% of word count for essays, conclusion, between 5 and 10%. I would do as others have suggested and do one point per paragraph but making sure you have a strong linking sentence in the first paragraph to show coherence between them. It’s an essay - don’t use subheadings and try and stick to more formal language, not colloquialisms.
Good luck.
What do you think I should write for the intro? I want to say how the novel is both a fairy tale and a morality tale, and should I say how he does that ?
kjudd33
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would keep the intro quite general. Give the reader some context of the book - talk about the main themes - loss of innocence, conflict, attempt to construct civilisation etc. If you want to say it is both a fairytale and a tale of morality, that is best left for your conclusion. You can discuss each idea separately in the body of the essay and put forward your reasoning, including examples of how Golding creates that within the narrative.
You need a really punchy hypothesise for the last sentence or few sentences of the intro, that makes the reader/marker want to read on but doesn’t give away what your likely conclusion will be at this stage. The essay is an exploration, and although you will already have a good idea of your assumptions about the text, the reader shouldn’t be aware so early on. Spark notes is normally a pretty good place to get some ideas.
The best tip my tutor ever gave me was to use a mind map (spidergram) to do your planning. You can choose the best ideas from there and disregard the rest.
Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise