Moving to the UK after doing only year 12.

Watch
SenatorSpoon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My parents are out of a job so i have to move to the UK to finish my a levels. However, I've been doing an international a level course and when I move back I do think it will not be international. It looks like I'll have to do year 12 all over again and be a year behind all of my friends. I feel like absolute garbage and I honestly feel like I've done so much work for year 12 and gotten these good grades and now it means nothing.
username4940518
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SenatorSpoon)
My parents are out of a job so i have to move to the UK to finish my a levels. However, I've been doing an international a level course and when I move back I do think it will not be international. It looks like I'll have to do year 12 all over again and be a year behind all of my friends. I feel like absolute garbage and I honestly feel like I've done so much work for year 12 and gotten these good grades and now it means nothing.
I'm in a similar position. Do international a levels have similar topics/content to UK a levels? if so maybe you could join in year 13 and try catching up the work although it would be hard work?

hopefully things will work out for you!! (i'm sure the work you did for year 12 will be helpful if there is similar content or you new school/future uni will look at your good grades!)
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are you with CIE or Edexcel? If CIE - you can sit the corresponding exams in the UK. If Edexcel then you're unfortunately out of luck.

In terms of subject knowledge - for a lot of subjects there wouldn't be much issue, the content is pretty closely comparable. If you are taking subjects that have options, like english, maths (while this in the UK no longer has options, IALs still do) or history you'll have more problems since different schools will study different texts/papers.

In terms of finding a school/college that'd let you straight into Y13, I'm really not sure sorry. Wouldn't hurt to ask schools in the area you're planning to move to.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads