Are there any specific ports you need?

What devices do you have currently?
iphone 7, iPad air

Laptops researched:
Laptop 1 -

Laptop 2 -

Laptop 3 -

Additional Comments:
I’ll be using this for note taking on google sheets and i’ll be using the touch screen feature for anki flashcards
I really just need ‘fast enough’ as well as long term durability.
Also whilst it’ll be touch screen, i’d still like it to be a traditional laptop style (i.e: not detachable)

Thanks a lot
username5177602
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you have the will to wait a bit longer - then you can normally get a used business laptop like a Lenovo T460s, HP 840 g3, or a Dell E7470. These will be more than enough for what you need it for, and normally cost around £200-£250. I'd wait though, as you'd be paying around £350 - quite a bit more than those laptop are worth - if you were to buy one now. I'd pay around £200-£250 for a T460s(or an 840 G3 or an E7470).

Largely, buying a used laptop safely boils down to this:
1.) Buy from a reputable seller. On eBay, this boils down to buying from a seller with 98%+ positive feedback, and ideally with 1000 feedback given.
2.) Inspect the listings as well as you can(i.e. look at photos, descriptions, etc.)
3.) Know how much you should pay, i.e. pay around £200-£250 for a T460s. Anything less there's probably something wrong with it, and anything more is a bit of a rip-off.
4.) Don't buy a laptop if the BIOS is locked(i.e. there's a password on the bios) - this nearly always means that the laptop was stolen which can cause serious implications. The risk isn't worth it, even if the laptop itself is a very good price.
5.) Don't buy a laptop that doesn't come with a charger. Reasoning is the same as above.
6.) Definitely consider wiping the drive and installing a clean copy of Windows - something which is a good skill to have anyway.

You don't need a touchscreen laptop as you can get the Anki app on your iPad from what I've gathered.
P0po
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by bluewolf21)
If you have the will to wait a bit longer - then you can normally get a used business laptop like a Lenovo T460s, HP 840 g3, or a Dell E7470. These will be more than enough for what you need it for, and normally cost around £200-£250. I'd wait though, as you'd be paying around £350 - quite a bit more than those laptop are worth - if you were to buy one now. I'd pay around £200-£250 for a T460s(or an 840 G3 or an E7470).

Largely, buying a used laptop safely boils down to this:
1.) Buy from a reputable seller. On eBay, this boils down to buying from a seller with 98%+ positive feedback, and ideally with 1000 feedback given.
2.) Inspect the listings as well as you can(i.e. look at photos, descriptions, etc.)
3.) Know how much you should pay, i.e. pay around £200-£250 for a T460s. Anything less there's probably something wrong with it, and anything more is a bit of a rip-off.
4.) Don't buy a laptop if the BIOS is locked(i.e. there's a password on the bios) - this nearly always means that the laptop was stolen which can cause serious implications. The risk isn't worth it, even if the laptop itself is a very good price.
5.) Don't buy a laptop that doesn't come with a charger. Reasoning is the same as above.
6.) Definitely consider wiping the drive and installing a clean copy of Windows - something which is a good skill to have anyway.

You don't need a touchscreen laptop as you can get the Anki app on your iPad from what I've gathered.
Thanks a lot bluewolf21.
I think I’d ideally like a new laptop- as i’m planning on using it for the first few years of uni as well (aspiring for med school)

I’ve been interested by the HP Pavilion 15, and i think it’s met all my desires but apparently Pavilions are notorious for having poor builds despite the specs, according to some friends. Is this true?

I’ve also looked at the Huawei Matebook D15 2020 and have been interested by it too, despite no touch screen, but i believe that ill be missing out from some of its best features as I don’t have huawei phone/ecosystem.

Another couple i’ve been interested are:
Dell Inspiron 14 5000
acer aspire 5 a514-52

Apologies for the long message and thank you very much for your help, advice and wisdom!
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by P0po)
Thanks a lot bluewolf21.
I think I’d ideally like a new laptop- as i’m planning on using it for the first few years of uni as well (aspiring for med school)

I’ve been interested by the HP Pavilion 15, and i think it’s met all my desires but apparently Pavilions are notorious for having poor builds despite the specs, according to some friends. Is this true?

I’ve also looked at the Huawei Matebook D15 2020 and have been interested by it too, despite no touch screen, but i believe that ill be missing out from some of its best features as I don’t have huawei phone/ecosystem.

Another couple i’ve been interested are:
Dell Inspiron 14 5000
acer aspire 5 a514-52

Apologies for the long message and thank you very much for your help, advice and wisdom!
I've heard a lot of bad things about pavilions in terms of build quality, though I can't confirm from past experience.

I also personally would advise with the Huawei to wipe the drive and put a clean installation of Windows. I doubt there's actually anything wrong with the one that's on there, but if you're conscious about the brands bad record, then I'd still consider buying(just also consider using a clean install of Windows)

If you aim for something with at least 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD, you'll likely be fine, and if you look after the laptop then it will last a while.
P0po
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by bluewolf21)
I've heard a lot of bad things about pavilions in terms of build quality, though I can't confirm from past experience.

I also personally would advise with the Huawei to wipe the drive and put a clean installation of Windows. I doubt there's actually anything wrong with the one that's on there, but if you're conscious about the brands bad record, then I'd still consider buying(just also consider using a clean install of Windows)

If you aim for something with at least 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD, you'll likely be fine, and if you look after the laptop then it will last a while.
Thanks bluewolf21,
I think i’ve made my decision:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...8888~Skimlinks

Only thing that confuses me is that people are describing acer laptops as gaming laptops. Do you think Acer is reliable enough?
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by P0po)
Thanks bluewolf21,
I think i’ve made my decision:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...8888~Skimlinks

Only thing that confuses me is that people are describing acer laptops as gaming laptops. Do you think Acer is reliable enough?
Acer makes both gaming laptops and non-gaming laptops. Gaming laptops are branded as Nitro or Predator, whilst non-gaming laptops like the one you mentioned are often branded as Aspire or Swift. I haven't heard anything too bad about Acer's consumer grade laptops.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.67%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (105)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.31%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.1%

Watched Threads