Results of the Ofqual consultation on 2020 exams are out!

Watch
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ofqual have released the outcome on their consultation on the "Exceptional arrangements for exam grading and assessment in 2020".

You can read the full details here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._22MAY2020.pdf

There’s also a summary available here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/o...ries-proposals

Over 12,500 people responded to the consultation, and you can find an analysis of the results here:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._21MAY2020.pdf

The key highlights are:

-Centres are not allowed to disclose grades to students/parents. Doing so might be investigated as malpractice.

-Results will be issued in the normal way in the summer.

Who can get a grade?

-Students in Y10 and below should receive a calculated grade.

-Private candidates can also receive calculated grades if the head of the centre which entered them is confident, they can submit a centre assessment grade for the student and rank them alongside their other students. In some cases, special arrangments have been made with centers to enable them to do this.

-Other private candidates will not get a grade.

-Most of the detail regarding private candidates has not changed from this document released on 30th April : https://assets.publishing.service.go..._30APR2020.pdf

Standardisation

-The standardisation approach will aim to be clear and transparent and seek to mean that no groups are disadvantaged in the summer- however, accuracy of the approach will be prioritised over simplicity and making it easy to understand.

-The standardisation process will be based on a model which will include the expected national outcomes for this year’s students, the prior attainment of students at each school and college (at cohort, not individual level), and previous results of the school or college.

-Historical performance of the centre is the factor that will be given most weight.

-In general, the statistical analysis will be given more weighting than the center assessed grade. However, in some cases (e.g. subjects with a very small cohort) the center assessed grade may be given more weighting.

-The statistical model will be tested before deciding exactly what weighting is given to each factor. They will aim to make sure the chosen model doesn't disadvantage any group of pupils, whilst also maintaining accuracy.

-Consideration has been given to schools with small cohort sizes and schools where various parts of the data may not be available for large numbers of students.

-Consideration has been given regarding the small number of centers providing grades for mostly private candidates.

-They are exploring ways to make sure the model is fair for centers where the number of EAL, BAME, SEN, PP and private candidates have significantly changed compared to previous years.

-It is likely that all centres will see some adjustments to their grades, although this may not apply to every subject.

-the model for standardisation will not seek to reflect any trends in improvement or deterioration in a centre’s outcomes in a subject over previous years

-Rankings will not be changed due to the standardisation process.

Appeals

-Only exam centres can request an appeal.

-Students can appeal the decision not to request an appeal at a school level, and schools should have a procedure in place for this.

-Appeals should be allowed where a centre believes it has made an error when submitting its information; or similarly, if the centre believes an exam board made a mistake when calculating, assigning or communicating a grade.

-Students will not be allowed to appeal their centre assessed grade or ranking. This is because Ofqual don't believe they can find someone better placed to make a professional judgement about a student's ability than the student's own class teachers.

-No-one will be allowed to appeal against the standardisation process on an individual level.

-Ofqual is considering a process for appeals where there is reliable evidence of a significant demographic difference between the centre’s cohort and the historical data used for statistical standardisation. Further details will be released by the end of June.

-If a student has evidence of bias or discrimination, there are two routes open to them. They can raise a complaint with their school, who could then appeal the grade on the basis of making an error when submitting information. They can also ask the exam board to investigate as malpractice. Exam boards can issue a correction to a grade in this circumstance. This is an existing procedure that exam boards have in place. This route would only be open to students who could prove that bias had affected their grade- it wouldn't be open to people with suspicion but no evidence.

-Students who think they can do better than their final grade will in general be expected to retake in the autumn.

-Individual appeals will not cause the grades of students not involved in the appeal to change.

Autumn Exams

-The autumn exam series is definitely on.

-No final decision has been made on whether students not entered for exams this summer can sit autumn exams. However, at the moment it looks like entry will be limited to people with exam entries this summer.

-There will be a further consultation about how the autumn exams will work.

Just as an FYI, I have rushed this summary out so that it’s available to people before the Ofqual Q and A starts. I’m aware I’ve probably missed things and made mistakes, so please let me know if you think something should be added/corrected in the OP. I’m going to neaten up the formatting of this thread whilst it’s live so people can at least read through what I’ve written!
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 1 month ago
Lavinangela
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why are we being assessed based on our college's past performance and being ranked comparatively? One student's grade cannot affect another's. Exam s are entirely individual, so I believe students should be treated and assessed individually in this circumstance too. The school someone goes to should not unfairly hinder or benefit their chances of receiving a certain grade. Regardless of a school's location or reputation, the INDIVIDUAL must get the grade they DESERVE based on their INDIVIDUAL efforts.
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lavinangela)
why are we being assessed based on our college's past performance and being ranked comparatively? One student's grade cannot affect another's. Exam s are entirely individual, so I believe students should be treated and assessed individually in this circumstance too. The school someone goes to should not unfairly hinder or benefit their chances of receiving a certain grade. Regardless of a school's location or reputation, the INDIVIDUAL must get the grade they DESERVE based on their INDIVIDUAL efforts.
I have seen a lot of people complain about this. Personally, I think Ofqual used vague questions to give misleading results to pretend people supported their plans. I understand the use of historical data, but I don't understand why it has a greater weighting than the centre assessed grades.

Could always start a petition or something (maybe on the government website)...
Lavinangela
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I have seen a lot of people complain about this. Personally, I think Ofqual used vague questions to give misleading results to pretend people supported their plans. I understand the use of historical data, but I don't understand why it has a greater weighting than the centre assessed grades.

Could always start a petition or something (maybe on the government website)...
I agree. For example, my college has a terrible reputation, it's in a very disadvantaged part of London and their results aren't stellar. However, I worked extremely hard alone, from home and I am worried that where I have attended will negatively affect my grade. I was getting A*s but the fact that in the past other people haven't, and the fact that this will be evaluated in determining my own personal grade worries me
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree. For example, my college has a terrible reputation, it's in a very disadvantaged part of London and their results aren't stellar. However, I worked extremely hard alone, from home and I am worried that where I have attended will negatively affect my grade. I was getting A*s but the fact that in the past other people haven't, and the fact that this will be evaluated in determining my own personal grade worries me
I go to one of the best sixth forms in my area and even I can see how this whole thing is unfair.

I think the least we need of Ofqual is a detailed plan of how they plan to standardise grades. We might get to August and find out previous cohort data didn't really impact our results, but they have to be clear to stop this panic and worry.
Lavinangela
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I go to one of the best sixth forms in my area and even I can see how this whole thing is unfair.

I think the least we need of Ofqual is a detailed plan of how they plan to standardise grades. We might get to August and find out previous cohort data didn't really impact our results, but they have to be clear to stop this panic and worry.
Precisely, if a student at your sixth form performed identically to me, their grade may be boosted. if we both sat exams like normal, we may end up with the same grade.
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Precisely, if a student at your sixth form performed identically to me, their grade may be boosted. if we both sat exams like normal, we may end up with the same grade.
Exactly. It clearly isn't fair, or at least, Ofqual hasn't made it look fair.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Unfortunately, really, your chance to express this was when the consultation was open. I'm not saying all the decisions that have been made a right, but I think it's unlikely anything will change going forwards- it's probably too late to come up with a whole new system and still have results come out on time in the summer.

I do think it's unfair that the performance of some students could be capped by the past performance of their school, and I think the decision not to take into account the past trajectory of the school was poor.

However, exams are comparative on a national level- grade boundaries move up or down, depending on how everyone does, so actually every year one student's grade can affect another's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
12.5%
A mix of in-person and online options (14)
19.44%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (43)
59.72%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
8.33%

Watched Threads