How to save money as a University Student

Watch
asiagla29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Since I've started university and then living alone, I started thinking about how I could save money without buying only instant noodles seven days a week.[img]blob:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/88b0aa7f-ffc2-433a-8585-eaeeb3759ef6[/img]

A student needs to figure out how to manage their expenses and, even though it may just look like a job for accountants, it's easier than it seems!

After downloading and testing many phone applications, I found the best ones that will make your life not only easier but also more enjoyable.

1.Money Manager: Budget&Expenses

This is the basic app for your account management. The first step is to set a monthly budget; then, you can upload all your expenses manually or through your bank account/credit card.

Any time you earn a certain amount of money, you can do the same, but instead of subtracting from your budget, the app will add to it!

It's super easy and allows you to remain accountable and aware of your income and expenses.

2.SWAPABEE

This app has been a game-changer for me. I always check it before buying things full-priced. The best thing about it, other than having a great variety of choices, is that it's all free of charge! And yes, everything it's completely free. How is it possible? Well, you're going to exchange your second-hand product (sometimes you can find new stuff never been used) with another one that has the same value. It's a real barter between people from all over the UK!

This can be very fun and at the same time, you're helping the world to reduce waste! Why trash or forget it, SWAP IT!

https://swapabee.co.uk/referal/3538

3.TooGoodToGo

If you love eating freshly made food from your local shops but, at the same time, you don't want to spend too much money on that, this app is perfect for you. By only typing in your address and postcode, it will show you all the locals that offer deals on their food to avoid wasting it! Prices are incredibly low, and what you get is often much more than you expect! The secret is to check the app more than once per day and maybe walk by the shop to personally check what they offer. Hurry up! When all the food is done, it's done; they won't give you anything else for those prices!

4.Supermarket chains app

Tesco, Sainsbury’s, M&S, Aldi, and so on, have their website and app to allow their customers to know all the deals and promotions they offer in-store and online. Sometimes if you only think about the short-term, you may not care about saving one pound today; however, if you consider that you're very likely to do the grocery at least once per week (or even once per month), you'll find how one pound saved today can easily become about 30 pounds a month... which are about 360 a year!

Don't be lazy and start taking one step at a time. You'll be surprised by how much you can save by doing all these things!
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sounds great
Aleiya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Pretty helpful stuff thank you
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It’s impossible because as a student you are spending lots of money instead of earning lots of money.
asiagla29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
It’s impossible because as a student you are spending lots of money instead of earning lots of money.
Actually a student should think about the long term. At the beginning I said that it is for who doesn't want to live on instant noodles for the whole university period. We are students, young people, and we definitely want to enjoy the best time of our life! Those are good tips if you want to live a good life without spending tons of money. And I think that everyone eats or does the grocery... and for the fun stuff, SWAPABEE is amazing. Everything it's free! You just need to swap what you want fro something else you have.
Let me know if this is still not clear
Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Love
Spad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Easier than all that. Don't spend needlessly on clothes, alcohol and going out.
asiagla29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spad)
Easier than all that. Don't spend needlessly on clothes, alcohol and going out.
Everyone can come out with these. For people who want to enjoy this time and be conscious of their personal finance, those are very good options.
You don't have to follow them if you think your life is fine as it is ahahaha. They are just easy tips
Alexrouse1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You can also open a notice savings account which requires you to give 35, 90 or 120 days notice before you are able to access your money, it sounds a bit whack but it means you can’t drunkenly spend your money on a new set of clothes at 3am.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (886)
42.7%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads