The Student Room Group

Why do Cambridge know what's going on but we don't.

How come the rest of the country don't have a clue what going but Cambridge do.
Original post by mumofthree123

the world's elite know everything. all elites are connected.
I'm joking Idk why but I assume its just Procaution along with the search they are doing suggests that there is no point going back
Yeah I don't think Cambridge are entirely sure this is the right decision to make, it's probably mostly to provide clarity to staff and students so that both can prepare for online lectures :smile: I'm expecting more unis to announce similar measures tbh
Reply 3
Do they know what's going on though?
other universities have made comparable announcements
The short answer is that they don't really, they were just one of the first out of the gates to declare a provisional plan.

As they are announced, each Uni's approach is being listed here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6507038
The unis are being asked to give clarity on their plans before students have to firm or accept offers. Cambridge approach seems to be to say that mass lectures will be online all year although they hope that the situation will improve so they can go back to more normal before then, but small group teaching/practicals/ supervisions will be F2F where at all possible. Just stating the worst case scenario so students can make a more informed choice.
Thank you for your answers. Have they? I am due to start edgehill and my son is starting uclan this September and we have no clarification as to what is going on. It all is very frustrating. Obviously I understand that in these uncertain circumstances that major decisions take time, but to announce and clarifiy for students at Cambridge is unfair. I think your right about the elite get catered for first.
Thank you for your answers. Have they? I am due to start edgehill and my son is starting uclan this September and we have no clarification as to what is going on. It all is very frustrating. Obviously I understand that in these uncertain circumstances that major decisions take time, but to announce and clarifiy for students at Cambridge is unfair. I think your right about the elite get catered for first.

Cambridge had no choice as someone leaked a part of the plan to the press which worried a lot of people so they had to follow up very quickly with the full approach. I am sure that every uni is going through the same process. Nothing to do with being elite or not.
Original post by ReadingMum
Cambridge had no choice as someone leaked a part of the plan to the press which worried a lot of people so they had to follow up very quickly with the full approach. I am sure that every uni is going through the same process. Nothing to do with being elite or not.

Exactly this - all universities are having similar discussions, but Cambridge's was leaked prematurely.
Edge Hill are planning to physically reopen at the start of term, so like most they will almost certainly use a combination of face to face and online learning:

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/coronavirus-faq/

It's difficult for anyone to be more specific as the restrictions could change next week, much less in 3-4 months. Cambridge announced earlier than most but it doesn't mean that's 100% what they will be doing come Sept-Oct.

Others have explained why Cambridge's plans were released early- however it's worth bearing in mind that Cambridge (like many other unis) is a world leading research organisation. Therefore, they probably do have more insight than the average private individual.

It is normal for the government to discuss things behind closed doors with organisations on a need to know basis. I thought it was very interesting that Ofqual's consultation on Autumn exams suggested a limited autumn reopening in schools- maybe they are planning for the worst, or maybe they have been told things they needed to know to make plans?

I'm not saying it's right or not, but I do think the government has a strategy of keeping at least the worst case scenario under wraps to avoid panicking people.

Obviously I understand that in these uncertain circumstances that major decisions take time, but to announce and clarifiy for students at Cambridge is unfair. I think your right about the elite get catered for first.

This is really quite ridiculous. How in earth have you managed to wedge in some rant about 'elites' because Cambridge made a decision for their students?! What were they supposed to do, exactly to pacify you sort of people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending