The Student Room Group

University declined my request to defer entry?

Now I am unsure whether or not to go to university as I wanted to take a gap year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
Now I am unsure whether or not to go to university as I wanted to take a gap year.

Unis are definitely allowed to do this, and many are worried about getting high numbers of deferrals this year.

Why not wait and see what your results are in the summer- then you can assess your chances of getting a place next year, as well as have more information on what uni will be like next year!
I am not frustrated I am confused I know they have the right to decline my request. So now I am unsure whether to go or take a year out as it is my dream uni but I am unsure about the course and I need more time to be able to decide what it is that I want.
Yeah, but is it not unfair.... They've marketed students something they simply can't offer in the current environment.

It's such a one way street, because everyone knows that you need a degree... So every year the institutions kind of do what they want on their terms and you have no input.

Not so much covid-19, but what about three year's of strikes?

Let's not take the tone, that universities are in the right...when that's just not true. They should allow as many deferrals as possible. Not just treat us like some vessels of guaranteed funding.

Offer concessions... Lowered tuition, something.
I am not frustrated I am confused I know they have the right to decline my request. So now I am unsure whether to go or take a year out as it is my dream uni but I am unsure about the course and I need more time to be able to decide what it is that I want.

Which university? If it's a substitutable institution I wouldn't worry.

Unless it's Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial or UCL.

The chances of them getting international student numbers back up until after a global vaccine programme has been conducted is low. You can also factor in the immense economic distress, alot of those wealthy foreign students parents have lost job's and are needing to use their children's savings (university funds) to finance day to day living, and likely won't have the continuity of funds for years. International student numbers will remain low for 3-5 year's.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Which university? If it's a substitutable institution I wouldn't worry.

Unless it's Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial or UCL.

The chances of them getting international student numbers back up until after a global vaccine programme has been conducted is low. You can also factor in the immense economic distress, alot of those wealthy foreign students parents have lost job's and are needing to use their children's savings (university funds) to finance day to day living, and likely won't have the continuity of funds for years. International student numbers will remain low for 3-5 year's.

University of Edinburgh
Original post by SomeoneSay
What have they marketed that they can't offer?

You genuinely think that the entire higher education industry are preparing to lie their students, or that the entire working world is prepared to write off a year of new applicants?

You think that a degree delivered in another way is instantly inferior?

I am unsure about the course because I don't know whether it is what I want to study.
Reply 7

I would not advise taking a gap year as there may not be many activities to do during these times, even if you have bagged some opportunity right now, its unsure whether it will go ahead as planned. University is a safe place to be at this point.
Having said that, if you are unsure about whether the course you have chosen is right for you, I suggest talking to people who have taken it already. You can find them here or on social media, have a look at the course groups and some universities also have a student network where you can talk to current and former students. That will help bring clarity
I am unsure about the course because I don't know whether it is what I want to study.

Deferring was never a solution to that. If they had let you, then you wanted to change courses, there'd be no guarantee there either.

What do you need to do to know which course is for you? What are the options that you are considering, and why?
Reply 9
Original post by RogerOxon
Deferring was never a solution to that. If they had let you, then you wanted to change courses, there'd be no guarantee there either.

What do you need to do to know which course is for you? What are the options that you are considering, and why?

That's wise piece of advice, perhaps, try applying to the courses you do want to take?
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh is indeed substitutable... Even though it's a tough in.. And a loved uni... It isn't that elite. You'll likely have a profile that can get you in anywhere. I wouldn't worry, if you don't feel right going... I wouldn't.
Original post by BTS gal
I would not advise taking a gap year as there may not be many activities to do during these times, even if you have bagged some opportunity right now, its unsure whether it will go ahead as planned. University is a safe place to be at this point.
Having said that, if you are unsure about whether the course you have chosen is right for you, I suggest talking to people who have taken it already. You can find them here or on social media, have a look at the course groups and some universities also have a student network where you can talk to current and former students. That will help bring clarity

Does that really matter in the Scottish system, surely you can switch.
So you ignore my initial query to your demanding defenses of universities taking liberty to push students around... And now assess what my standards are or aren't on what basis, top 100 uni's are substitutable..there's even two comparable ones in tiny Scotland, not to mention all of England... Dreams can change after you've been mistreated you know.
Frankly you sound like a university propoganda organ.
Are you Scottish? And which course have you been accepted for and which other courses might interest you?
Edinburgh is indeed substitutable...

Thats a high risk strategy if you are Scottish or EU.
Original post by ajj2000
Thats a high risk strategy if you are Scottish or EU.

I have EU fee status.
Edinburgh is indeed substitutable... Even though it's a tough in.. And a loved uni... It isn't that elite. You'll likely have a profile that can get you in anywhere. I wouldn't worry, if you don't feel right going... I wouldn't.

My course Chinese is not offered by many unis very few universities offer it.
I have EU fee status.

I think I might err towards going - its not easy to get an offer from Edinburgh with EU status. Can you check with current students and see whether you could take first year options which would allow you to transfer to other degrees if the first choice one isn't quite what you hoped?
Original post by RogerOxon

My course is Chinese I am considering going back to college for 1 year to do some different a levels and depending whether they would go well I would apply for a science degree instead.
I have EU fee status.

Are you aware that you might be charged international fees from 2021?

For free uni, vs being charged £10000 +, I would suck up whatever's on offer this year and go. Yeah, it won't be the same, but you're litterally getting it for free, which makes some of your comments on this thread pretty disingenouous actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending