The Student Room Group

How can I get over insecurity about my height?

I’m a guy who is 6’1. I know loads of people say this is a really good height for a guy, but I‘m taller than nearly ever single person I come across and I am intimidating to some people because of my height. I don’t know why people say this height is short on some forums lol. Where do they live? I hardly ever see anyone who is taller than 6’2?

Scroll to see replies

I’m 5ft and all my guy friends are over 6ft. Mind you the area I live in is one of the tallest in the country. Try find some people ur height as that might help u feel like ur not alone. Otherwise no ones really that bothered and at least u won’t have to worry about girls being taller than u
Reply 2
Original post by Highrise769
I’m a guy who is 6’1. I know loads of people say this is a really good height for a guy, but I taller than nearly ever single person I come across and I am intimidating to some people because of my height. I don’t know why people say this height is short on some forums lol. Where do they live? I hardly ever see anyone who is taller than 6’2?

You're tall, but not very tall. Also, there are taller people out there, but due to the area you live in you might not know. I'm just saying, if you go to some specific areas you'll feel really short; there's some girls and guys who are 6 foot 5 around where I live.
This proves to me that the grass is never green enough no matter which side you're on. Your height sounds perfect to me but you're still insecure. You just have to accept it bro and be proud of it :u:
Original post by gtty123
You're tall, but not very tall. Also, there are taller people out there, but due to the area you live in you might not know. I'm just saying, if you go to some specific areas you'll feel really short; there's some girls and guys who are 6 foot 5 around where I live.

6 ft 5? I’ve only seen a guy that tall once in my whole life, although to be fair I honestly don’t travel much. As for a woman? I’ve never seen a woman that tall lol. The tallest woman I’ve ever seen was 6’2.
I’m not moving country because of my height LMAO
Reply 6
6 ft 5? I’ve only seen a guy that tall once in my whole life, although to be fair I honestly don’t travel much. As for a woman? I’ve never seen a woman that tall lol. The tallest woman I’ve ever seen was 6’2.

Where I live, the tallest person I've seen is a 7 foot tall male. He worked at my local Tesco. In terms of females, the tallest woman I've seen, excluding some in my area, was 6 foot 8 (ish). She was ridiculously tall. I'm not short myself at 6 foot 2, but there's some people who are a lot taller.
Original post by gtty123

There is literally nowhere on earth where he would feel "really short". Perhaps at professional basketball club.
Reply 8
Original post by ChrisW99
There is literally nowhere on earth where he would feel "really short". Perhaps at professional basketball club.

Are you okay? If you read what I put, I said "specific" areas, implying there are places "on Earth" where he would feel "really short."
Personally I would called it short because I'm taller but regardless of that fact there is nothing wrong with being well above average.
Original post by gtty123
Are you okay? If you read what I put, I said "specific" areas, implying there are places "on Earth" where he would feel "really short."

There are no areas that one would encounter in day to day life, where a person this height would feel short.
I'm around the same height and I agree with the intimidating bit but I found if you are a welcoming person via your body language then it doesn't really effect you, just don't look all closed off as you'll seem like a bouncer, instead be free and welcoming like a friendly giant (be it you're small on the giant scale), most guys dream to be your height so embrace it! :h:

Also although I am one of the tallest people I know at Uni currently, back home at sixth form I was average height in my year amongst the boys (well I was just over 6ft then so i've grown a bit since then), so it really just depends, if you walk on the streets you'll realise there are a decent amount who are taller
Original post by gtty123
Where I live, the tallest person I've seen is a 7 foot tall male. He worked at my local Tesco. In terms of females, the tallest woman I've seen, excluding some in my area, was 6 foot 8 (ish). She was ridiculously tall. I'm not short myself at 6 foot 2, but there's some people who are a lot taller.

They must be a very small percentage of the population because on a day to day basis I hardly ever see someone taller than me. I don’t consider myself extremely tall, but I know I do intimidate some people because of my height.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m a guy who is 6’1. I know loads of people say this is a really good height for a guy, but I‘m taller than nearly ever single person I come across and I am intimidating to some people because of my height. I don’t know why people say this height is short on some forums lol. Where do they live? I hardly ever see anyone who is taller than 6’2?

My friend is in a similar situation to you. He’s 6ft but he complains that most of his friends are shorter.

You said people are intimidated, is this only initially. If not maybe try to be more relatable, have genuine interest in people and smile.

Btw you will be a few inches shorter once you reach old age so dw 😂😂
Original post by ChrisW99
There are no areas that one would encounter in day to day life, where a person this height would feel short.

Have you travelled the world, and inspected everything? If yes, I would like to agree with your point. But if you haven't, it's very naive to assume "there are no areas" where "a person this height would feel short."
They must be a very small percentage of the population because on a day to day basis I hardly ever see someone taller than me. I don’t consider myself extremely tall, but I know I do intimidate some people because of my height.

Of course it is a very small percentage. But I see where you're coming from, when you hardly see people "taller than [you]." I feel that way sometimes when I go on holiday. In my area, there are tall people, but if I go, for example, to France, I feel tall there because most people I encounter are shorter than myself.
Original post by gtty123
Of course it is a very small percentage. But I see where you're coming from, when you hardly see people "taller than [you]." I feel that way sometimes when I go on holiday. In my area, there are tall people, but if I go, for example, to France, I feel tall there because most people I encounter are shorter than myself.

By majority people I think about 98-99 percent are shorter than me. I guess you could say it’s a stupid problem to complain about. I guess it’s what you think of when you’re bored and in quarantine 😏
I’m as tall as you and I wouldn't worry about being insecure. Tall people are all around and you wouldn't feel so alone beside them You might look intimidating at first but once people get to know you, they’ll find you nice to talk to.
Original post by gtty123
Have you travelled the world, and inspected everything? If yes, I would like to agree with your point. But if you haven't, it's very naive to assume "there are no areas" where "a person this height would feel short."

There simply aren't any situations in daily life where a (rational) person this height would feel short. He has a distorted view of his height. Thinking he is both too short and also intimidating to others. People should be correcting his views instead of validating this nonsense.
By majority people I think about 98-99 percent are shorter than me. I guess you could say it’s a stupid problem to complain about. I guess it’s what you think of when you’re bored and in quarantine 😏

It's not a "stupid problem" be proud of your height, and I doubt people will find it intimidating. There's people who'd love to be your current height.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending