oliviasmith22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi my EPQ is based on biology (more specifically Epigenetics) and my sixth form said that our supervisor will know a bit about our topic but I have a chemistry teacher as my supervisor. Will this impact on me negatively because the majority of people in my year have a supervisor that's fitted to their topic (apart from me and one other person, who also has the same supervisor as me). Thanks
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow lucky you. I did my EPQ on politics and current affairs but my supervisor was a physics teacher. I don't think it should hinder you too much because you'd probably explain your topic, in this case, Epigenetics, in quite a lot of detail in your actual project and to your supervisor. Hopefully, your supervisor will go and research the topic a bit more if they really wanted to help you so you won't be at too much of a disadvantage.
The EPQ is meant to be very independent anyway so your supervisor isn't meant to give you that much help. So hopefully no, you won't be majorly disadvantaged.
oliviasmith22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
Wow lucky you. I did my EPQ on politics and current affairs but my supervisor was a physics teacher. I don't think it should hinder you too much because you'd probably explain your topic, in this case, Epigenetics, in quite a lot of detail in your actual project and to your supervisor. Hopefully, your supervisor will go and research the topic a bit more if they really wanted to help you so you won't be at too much of a disadvantage.
The EPQ is meant to be very independent anyway so your supervisor isn't meant to give you that much help. So hopefully no, you won't be majorly disadvantaged.
ah ok thank you, how did you find writing your epq about politics and current affairs? The majority of people I know have done theirs either on medicine or some sort of physics related subject.
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oliviasmith22)
ah ok thank you, how did you find writing your epq about politics and current affairs? The majority of people I know have done theirs either on medicine or some sort of physics related subject.
It was actually quite hard because it was on something so current, things changed frequently and suddenly so I had to always keep my eye on the news. When it came to finalising my project title I had to say, looking at the events between July 2003 - July 2019 even though the topic I was looking at is something that is still ongoing.

I'd say that most of the people I knew who did an EPQ did it on STEM topics as well although there were some interesting ones. There was one girl who did hers on whether Shakespeare actually wrote his plays and someone else who did it on sign language
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
It was actually quite hard because it was on something so current, things changed frequently and suddenly so I had to always keep my eye on the news. When it came to finalising my project title I had to say, looking at the events between July 2003 - July 2019 even though the topic I was looking at is something that is still ongoing.

I'd say that most of the people I knew who did an EPQ did it on STEM topics as well although there were some interesting ones. There was one girl who did hers on whether Shakespeare actually wrote his plays and someone else who did it on sign language
Oh and somebody composed a song for their project and we listened to it
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)
No way that's so awesome!
Yep, haha. It was pretty cool. My project felt so boring in comparison lol.

The girl who did hers on sign language interpreted a whole school assembly and signed along to it whilst the headteacher spoke. I had no idea if she was doing it right or not but it was really impressive nonetheless.
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was yours about? Ik you said politics 🙈🙈
Mine is a fun topic but I'm making it seem boring lol

Omg that's so cool!! We had a teacher who would do that!
Idk if you've heard much about it, you might have seen it on the news (it's resurfaced AGAIN, thank goodness I'm not doing my EPQ anymore otherwise I would not be able to cope), but my EPQ was about the political situation in Hong Kong and about the relationship between the pro-democracy groups and the HK government and the Chinese government. Yeah, not the most exciting topic.

I had to conclude my research up to July 2019 because I had to start organising all my research and actually write the 5000 words which was quite awkward because the protests in the city were still going on after July and there were all these major announcements being made but since they happened in September/October I couldn't actually write about them which was a bit annoying. It was like telling a story but stopping halfway through.

What's your EPQ on?
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That sounds so interesting!!!! I'll research that later
I have to go and eat iftar in a few minutes hah
How was your time management? What grade did you end up getting?
Mines on the ethical issues and effectiveness on placebos
It's a fun topic but I'm lazy lol
I'd say that my time management was pretty good (could have been better but that's the case with everything in life, really). Doing 3 coursework subjects + an EPQ meant that I really had to be on top of my time management but I feel that it wasn't as hard as people made it out to be.

I don't know what grade I got yet, have to wait until August! I'm hoping for an A and ngl I'm going to be very disappointed if I don't get it because I spent so much time and effort on it but that's making me sound really entitled. And also I know that my school's track record of students getting A s in EPQ isn't that high.

Your topic sounds so interesting, I'd love to know what kind of conclusions you draw!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.67%
Uncertainty around my education (57)
11.54%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (58)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.47%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.25%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.73%
Financial worries (29)
5.87%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.48%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.83%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (41)
8.3%

Watched Threads