The Student Room Group

Help! A level law.

Is a level law a disadvantage if you want to apply to oxbridge for law?
Original post by ajenny
Is a level law a disadvantage if you want to apply to oxbridge for law?

Hi @ajenny

If you want to take law then taking law A-Level would be a great thing. Have a look on the entry requirements for law on the University's websites and see what else is recommended for you to take.

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 2
No, but it would probably be a good idea would ensure that your other A levels are academic traditional subjects (History, Maths, English Lit, French.....) and not, say, Art and Media Studies.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
No, but it would probably be a good idea would ensure that your other A levels are academic traditional subjects (History, Maths, English Lit, French.....) and not, say, Art and Media Studies.

Yes I chose English literature,history and law. On the Cambridge website they don’t specify any a levels that should be avoided however I have been told not to choose law a level?
Reply 4
Original post by ajenny
Yes I chose English literature,history and law. On the Cambridge website they don’t specify any a levels that should be avoided however I have been told not to choose law a level?

LSE used to say they preferred candidates not to have studied Law A level. It was on a list Cambridge published which recommended you didn't study more than one of the subjects on the list unless it was directly applicable to your degree choice. From that there has developed a commonly held belief that taking Law at A level will prevent you getting in any decent university. I don't think it's true.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
LSE used to say they preferred candidates not to have studied Law A level. It was on a list Cambridge published which recommended you didn't study more than one of the subjects on the list unless it was directly applicable to your degree choice. From that there has developed a commonly held belief that taking Law at A level will prevent you getting in any decent university. I don't think it's true.

Yes, possibly why I am told not to take it. However I am taking 2 facilitating subjects so would taking Law still be an issue?

Quick Reply

Latest