The Student Room Group

Audi A3 - possibly automatic?

Hey all,

I'm just wondering whats peoples experiences have been like with Audi A3s in general? are they good cars to run or huge on the repair side? i'm wanting to get an A3 possibly automatic as my second car as i just like the look of them and definitely want an automatic and before people say about manual i currently have a manual corsa but i really don't care about "skill" all i care about is getting from A to B and not into gear changes to the point of sucking off manuals, i really do want to go from manual to automatic and hey if i hate it il go back to manual no big deal but i'm wanting to know if Audi is a good choice? not really a car guy as you can tell so whats the main things to look out for on autos? at what mileage should you start to be concerned about the gearbox etc? read somewhere that its risky buying an auto over 80k miles? do you ever have to fill up the transmission fluid etc? best engine for the Audi a3?

All advice is appreciated! and i'm not bashing manual lovers as that would be 90% of UK but for me i just don't get the same joy and excitement out of manuals as others and i just see a car as point A to B and if i can make something easier then why not, hold a full license obviously so i can always go back to manual whenever i want and i feel just because you take say a year break from manual doesn't mean you'll get back in one and stall and forget stuff.

Scroll to see replies

I went from an 08 Corsa to an 06 A4 Auto and basically liked the car, but yeah, the autobox was dying a death at about 110k miles and kept stalling with electrical issues, I thankfully crashed it before having to fix it :redface: (Auto Merc SLK now)

I don't have much specific advice for the test drive apart from see how it responds to you, does it hesitate, flutter, rattle, change smoothy from Drive/Park/Reverse, make any weird 'snappy' noises when changing? The trans fluid should be changed every 50-60k miles generally, so you ideally want proof that's been done. (it shouldn't need 'topped up, that would imply something really bad) They are v pickly about fluid type and level, bad/burned fluid tends to be pretty gross, smelly and blackish and might have flecks of metal in it depending how worn the gearbox is. it's often a bugger to check it though and for some cars you need to buy your own dipstick for it. (mine)

I've read that for older ones that already have some bad fluid/trans damage it's best to just drain and replace half of it, to avoid losing all the metal flakes which might be the only thing still giving the gearbox any grip :tongue:
Original post by Nick6501
Hey all,

I'm just wondering whats peoples experiences have been like with Audi A3s in general? are they good cars to run or huge on the repair side? i'm wanting to get an A3 possibly automatic as my second car as i just like the look of them and definitely want an automatic and before people say about manual i currently have a manual corsa but i really don't care about "skill" all i care about is getting from A to B and not into gear changes to the point of sucking off manuals, i really do want to go from manual to automatic and hey if i hate it il go back to manual no big deal but i'm wanting to know if Audi is a good choice? not really a car guy as you can tell so whats the main things to look out for on autos? at what mileage should you start to be concerned about the gearbox etc? read somewhere that its risky buying an auto over 80k miles? do you ever have to fill up the transmission fluid etc? best engine for the Audi a3?

All advice is appreciated! and i'm not bashing manual lovers as that would be 90% of UK but for me i just don't get the same joy and excitement out of manuals as others and i just see a car as point A to B and if i can make something easier then why not, hold a full license obviously so i can always go back to manual whenever i want and i feel just because you take say a year break from manual doesn't mean you'll get back in one and stall and forget stuff.

If you're interested in just getting from A to B, why would you go for one of the premium VAG brands? Why not just a VW Golf or a Seat Leon which are the same body as the Audi A3, but cheaper. The 2.0 TDI is the most refined engine out of the line-up IMO.

It's risky buying a VAG auto full stop. They're not reliable. Get a manual.
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
If you're interested in just getting from A to B, why would you go for one of the premium VAG brands? Why not just a VW Golf or a Seat Leon which are the same body as the Audi A3, but cheaper. The 2.0 TDI is the most refined engine out of the line-up IMO.

It's risky buying a VAG auto full stop. They're not reliable. Get a manual.

Chatting **** on DSG for?
Original post by IWMTom
Chatting **** on DSG for?

fight me thomalina x
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
fight me thomalina x

Go clean up some threads created by Suzuki drivers
Reply 6
I currently have a manual corsa 1.0 2015 and i don't mind it but wanting an audi a3 just because i like the looks of it but wanted to try automatic and see if i like it and if not i can always go back as i'm not one of these silly people paying same price for a limited auto only license, so the gearbox in audi a3s are not reliable? was also wondering :

- How many miles in general should you start to get concerned about when buying an automatic? like under 50k miles etc?
- Do Audi a3s have the anti roll back? heard about automatic audis rolling back on hills
- Which is the best engine in terms of reliability but also insurance etc?
- What should you listen out for when test driving automatics / what to look for?

I knew i would get people saying to stay manual but again i just want to try it, for me manual is just still a car from A to B i get no "enjoyment" or "wow skills" from moving a stick into a gear like most people do, maybe i'm just boring or whatever but i personally don't care for manual i'm more about a car that goes forward and backwards in the most easiest way possible and if i can get an automatic that does that i would probably never go back to manual but its ensuring to know if i wanted to i could, also thanks for the tips on the transmission fluid as everyone i asked said they haven't even changed it or checked in in the lifetime of owning an auto lol.
I currently have a manual corsa 1.0 2015 and i don't mind it but wanting an audi a3 just because i like the looks of it but wanted to try automatic and see if i like it and if not i can always go back as i'm not one of these silly people paying same price for a limited auto only license, so the gearbox in audi a3s are not reliable? was also wondering :

- How many miles in general should you start to get concerned about when buying an automatic? like under 50k miles etc?
- Do Audi a3s have the anti roll back? heard about automatic audis rolling back on hills
- Which is the best engine in terms of reliability but also insurance etc?
- What should you listen out for when test driving automatics / what to look for?

I knew i would get people saying to stay manual but again i just want to try it, for me manual is just still a car from A to B i get no "enjoyment" or "wow skills" from moving a stick into a gear like most people do, maybe i'm just boring or whatever but i personally don't care for manual i'm more about a car that goes forward and backwards in the most easiest way possible and if i can get an automatic that does that i would probably never go back to manual but its ensuring to know if i wanted to i could, also thanks for the tips on the transmission fluid as everyone i asked said they haven't even changed it or checked in in the lifetime of owning an auto lol.

Meh, I've only ever drove 1 13 years old one and much as it had autobox problems, I don't really have the knowledge to speak about it overall, in my case it was 50/50 a 'simple' electrical problem in the control system rather than the transmission itself (mine kept literally forgetting what gear it was in, the wee display would go from 1...to 2...to 3...to...X? WTF is X? and then the car would stall :tongue:

Never had any issue with rolling back though? I don't know if mine had a specific system. I generally still give some extra gas when hillstarting just to avoid needless strain.

Personally I love driving auto now and likely won't go back, the 'skill' thing doesn't really bother me, for every 1 kinda exciting high speed shift are there 100 downright boring ones. Removing the clutch & gearstick just means I can enjoy the rest of the control and drive more without tapdancing on pedals IMO

Also Supercharged kickdown > Racing shift :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
Meh, I've only ever drove 1 13 years old one and much as it had autobox problems, I don't really have the knowledge to speak about it overall, in my case it was 50/50 a 'simple' electrical problem in the control system rather than the transmission itself (mine kept literally forgetting what gear it was in, the wee display would go from 1...to 2...to 3...to...X? WTF is X? and then the car would stall :tongue:

Never had any issue with rolling back though? I don't know if mine had a specific system. I generally still give some extra gas when hillstarting just to avoid needless strain.

Personally I love driving auto now and likely won't go back, the 'skill' thing doesn't really bother me, for every 1 kinda exciting high speed shift are there 100 downright boring ones. Removing the clutch & gearstick just means I can enjoy the rest of the control and drive more without tapdancing on pedals IMO

Also Supercharged kickdown > Racing shift :tongue:

Appreciate your input :biggrin: thanks to everyone who replied.
Reply 9
Need a suggestion lol,

Currently got the options of :

2012 with 1.4 engine but 79k miles - insurance is 1.7k

2010 with 1.6 engine but 60k miles - insurance is 1.4k

I'm still thinking the 2010 as its got less millage and cheaper insurance but its a bigger engine which i don't really want but same time dont mind, which engine is the best out he 2? the 2012 also looks a lot better.

Also is it just me or are Audi super expensive? for a 2010 audi with 60k miles is £6k is that high? looked at just a 2015 with 80k miles and was almost £8k.
(edited 3 years ago)
With the old automatics a lot of drivers preferred manual because you had more control of the vehicle especially during the winter, being able to start moving in 2nd gear instead of 1st to avoid wheels spinning and helping holding the car downhill without using the brakes which would have skidded the vehicle.

These days the automatics have changed a lot with winter settings, holding in gear, manual control of the gears etc.

For myself 2 out of my past 3 cars have been autos and would prefer not to go back to manual again, its a lot more relaxed drive with an auto especially in built up areas with traffic hold ups.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Anonnorth
With the old automatics a lot of drivers preferred manual because you had more control of the vehicle especially during the winter, being able to start moving in 2nd gear instead of 1st to avoid wheels spinning and helping holding the car downhill without using the brakes which would have skidded the vehicle.

These days the automatics have changed a lot with winter settings, holding in gear, manual control of the gears etc.

For myself 2 out of my past 3 cars have neen autos and would prefer not to go back to manual again, its a lot more relaxed drive with an auto especially in built up areas with traffic hold ups.

Yeah, i'm just wanting to try an automatic but everyone keeps telling me not to but i can always go back to manual whenever i want but i don't think i would as i don't care much for it, i just don't know which one to pick lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Need a suggestion lol,

I'm still thinking the 2010 as its got less millage and cheaper insurance but its a bigger engine which i don't really want but same time dont mind, which engine is the best out he 2? the 2012 also looks a lot better.

Also is it just me or are Audi super expensive? for a 2010 audi with 60k miles is £6k is that high? looked at just a 2015 with 80k miles and was almost £8k.

Honestly it's depend on so many other things, the MOT history of the two would be a big factor, either of them could have had a hard life and by contrast, could have been well looked after by someone into their cars. changes the value massively.

Their options/leather/doodads can change the price a lot as well. £6k for a 2010 sounds a touch high to me, but again, it might well be worth it. And it is still a premium brand ...kinda :colonhash: They obv brought a new model out in 2012/2013 which will have changed a lot of things. Whenever i'm curious about a car i'll generally have a look at Parkers to check things like versions & specs.
Reply 13
The 2012 looks a lot better in my opinion than the 2010 but they want £6,500 and its done 80k miles..defently both nice cars and have been well looked after in terms of the bodywork and interior as it looks almost new, could probably get the price down by £500 max i'd say (hopefully lol) but the 2010 would still be £5,000 and the 2012 £6,000, do you happen to know which engine is best out the two? would prefer the 1.4 but thats the 2012 and the 2010 has a 1.6.

I'm thinking of putting the millage before looks and engine size and getting the 2010 with a 1.6 but idk lol. Have been looking on multiple sites and it seems thats what they fetch nowadays as i'm even seeing 2007-2009 asking for £4,000 +
(edited 3 years ago)
if you have a look on CarGuru they list the cars on whether it is a good deal for the price comparing the deal against others for age, mileage etc
Reply 15
Original post by Anonnorth
if you have a look on CarGuru they list the cars on whether it is a good deal for the price comparing the deal against others for age, mileage etc

Thanks, seems the prices for the cars listed above are a little pricey so will be trying to get lower.
Why would you get this car if its just to get from A to B? also autos are ****.
Reply 17
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Why would you get this car if its just to get from A to B? also autos are ****.

Isn't that the whole point in a car? i don't get in a manual and roll windows down thinking i'm some G because i can put a car in a gear myself, i just want to try an automatic as manual to me means jack **** to be honest and maybe they are for people who love cars and think putting clutch down and going into a gear is something to write home about but i personally don't, i'll try one and if i don't like it for some strange reason i'll go back to manual.
Isn't that the whole point in a car? i don't get in a manual and roll windows down thinking i'm some G because i can put a car in a gear myself, i just want to try an automatic as manual to me means jack **** to be honest and maybe they are for people who love cars and think putting clutch down and going into a gear is something to write home about but i personally don't, i'll try one and if i don't like it for some strange reason i'll go back to manual.

Pay no mind, he's just out for a bit of attention (and terrified of driving :tongue:)
Need a suggestion lol,

Post a link of both cars, are they both the same model? The mileage isnt a problem with 80k and theyre cheap to run as parts are shared all over many vw audi skoda cars. I bought an auto this time as i couldnt be bothered changing gears and it is way better than a manual. Audis are really expensive comapred to cars like a VW golf or Seat Leon, which are the same car underneath. Is the 1.4 the TFSI engine, if it is, which explains the higher insurance, that is much better. More powerful and economocial. Theres a 2012 grey a3 1.4 with 83k miles on autotrader for £5000, which looks nice and has leather, not sure if the ones your looking at do.
Also audi's need a gearbox oil change every 40k miles which is about £200.

Quick Reply

Latest