The Student Room Group

I can't remove that image from my head

I now this sounds like I'm overly sensitive but I once saw three cats on the streets, one of them was a really beautiful Russian Blue and the other was an o.k. cat but the third one was so ugly! It was literally the ugliest cat that I've ever seen in my entire life!!!!

I was petting the Russian Blue and she was liking the attention but the ugly one kept coming close in a very creepy way and the Russian Blue was hissing so that it goes away. I, too, was stomping my leg on the floor in an attempt to scare it away. I can't really describe how ugly that cat was but it was sooooooooooooooooo ugly!!!

So sometimes, when I'm trying to sleep, the image of that scenario pops in my head and I see that ugly cat and I feel traumatised by it. Does anyone know why such a small incident has imprinted itself negatively and in such strong way in my psyche? I really don't want to see that image anymore and it really bothers me... It was/is quite intense and I have no idea why :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I now this sounds like I'm overly sensitive but I once saw three cats on the streets, one of them was a really beautiful Russian Blue and the other was an o.k. cat but the third one was so ugly! It was literally the ugliest cat that I've ever seen in my entire life!!!!

I was petting the Russian Blue and she was liking the attention but the ugly one kept coming close in a very creepy way and the Russian Blue was hissing so that it goes away. I, too, was stomping my leg on the floor in an attempt to scare it away. I can't really describe how ugly that cat was but it was sooooooooooooooooo ugly!!!

So sometimes, when I'm trying to sleep, the image of that scenario pops in my head and I see that ugly cat and I feel traumatised by it. Does anyone know why such a small incident has imprinted itself negatively and in such strong way in my psyche? I really don't want to see that image anymore and it really bothers me... It was/is quite intense and I have no idea why :frown:

Small case of PTSD, I've gotten it myself (different scenario though) and it usually went after a couple of days. If it's still ongoing then you need to seek some medical advice.

I feel bad for the 'ugly' cat, it probably just wanted to be pet as well and instead you started motioning stomping at it, poor thing.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
I feel bad for the 'ugly' cat, it probably just wanted to be pet as well and instead you started motioning stomping at it, poor thing.

but the other one was hissing at it and i kind of got scared. it was also a very creepy cat and the way it was coming forward, its like it knew that it was unwelcome but was creeping forward towards us anyway and looking me deep in the eye as if it knew that i didn't want it there but wanted to come anyway.

Interesting. I don't remember where I read this, but it was in a reputable book (take my word for it or don't, up to you). There was a case of a girl who had developed a arachnophobia (fear of spiders). If I recall correct, this normally presented itself in nightmares. Persistent psychotherapy revealed that actually her arachnophobia was something like a metaphor for how she perceived her relationship with her mother. Her mother was extremely clingy, and wouldn't let her live her own life in peace. Her mother couldn't survive one evening without her daughter by her side (who was in her twenties by then), without suffering some sort of a neurotic breakdown, and deploying all sorts of manipulative attention-seeking tricks (including faking cancer at one point I think). Similarly, the daughter developed similar 'relationship' patterns with her partners, where she herself would verge on experiencing mental breakdowns even when they would just leave for work in the morning. Obviously, no relationship she had could ever last under such circumstances.

Our minds play funny tricks like that sometimes. Who tf knows why this ugly cat is stuck in your head. Maybe it's symbolic of something in your life? Very difficult to tell. Only an idea.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by NonIndigenous
Interesting. I don't remember where I read this, but it was in a reputable book (take my word for it or don't, up to you). There was a case a of girl who had developed a arachnophobia (fear of spiders). If I recall correct, this normally presented itself in nightmares. Persistent psychotherapy revealed that actually her arachnophobia was something like a metaphor for how she perceived her relationship with her mother. Her mother was extremely clingy, and wouldn't let her live her own life in peace. Her mother couldn't survive one evening without her daughter by her side (who was in her twenties by then), without suffering some sort of a neurotic breakdown, and deploying all sorts of manipulative attention-seeking tricks (including faking cancer at one point I think). Similarly, the daughter developed similar 'relationship' patterns with her partners, where she herself would verge on experiencing mental breakdowns even when they would just leave for work in the morning. Obviously, no relationship she had could ever last under such circumstances.

Our minds play funny tricks like that sometimes. Who tf knows why this ugly cat is stuck in your head. Maybe it's symbolic of something in your life? Very difficult to tell. Only an idea.

Hmmm.

I'll give that a thought actually :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 6
My cat is pretty ugly. Lots of my friends hate her. I love her though, shes very cuddly. Dont judge a book by its cover!
Reply 7
Original post by LovelyMrFox
My cat is pretty ugly. Lots of my friends hate her. I love her though, shes very cuddly. Dont judge a book by its cover!

No you posted a picture of your cat today and honestly your cat is very beautiful.

That cat was hideous you don't understand!! It was sooo skinny and it had a very very very very creepy look. The face was the smallest cat face i've ever seen in my life and the colors were the tri-color type with black spots on its face... omg I'm traumatised just thinking about it now :dong:
Reply 8
No you posted a picture of your cat today and honestly your cat is very beautiful.

That cat was hideous you don't understand!! It was sooo skinny and it had a very very very very creepy look. The face was the smallest cat face i've ever seen in my life and the colors were the tri-color type with black spots on its face... omg I'm traumatised just thinking about it now :dong:

Thank you!
I was talking about my other cat though. Shes 23 ( in human years, so super super super old ), pure black, and she cant clean herself anymore so her back legs are all matted. She literally looks like a walking skeleton. Shes in great health and in no pain, but she honestly looks scary. She cant open one of her eyes so she just glares. She also growls instead of meows.
Reply 9
Thank you!
I was talking about my other cat though. Shes 23 ( in human years, so super super super old ), pure black, and she cant clean herself anymore so her back legs are all matted. She literally looks like a walking skeleton. Shes in great health and in no pain, but she honestly looks scary. She cant open one of her eyes so she just glares. She also growls instead of meows.

omg that does sound scary!

i don't know why that experience stuck with me though :frown: I've seen ugly-ish cats before and i was pretty friendly with them

i think it was the way this one was intruding and the other one was hissing at it + combined with its ugliness... like the entire situation was traumatic but then i managed to get the Russian Blue away and some guy on my street whom i've seen one was like 'she's about to attack you' (about the Russian Blue) and then he was kind of rude/mean/degrading in the way he was speaking to me

i wish i can delete these 10 minutes from my life
Reply 10
Small case of PTSD, I've gotten it myself (different scenario though) and it usually went after a couple of days. If it's still ongoing then you need to seek some medical advice.

ptsd. after seeing an ugly cat. are you ****ing kidding me
Reply 11
omg that does sound scary!

i don't know why that experience stuck with me though :frown: I've seen ugly-ish cats before and i was pretty friendly with them

i think it was the way this one was intruding and the other one was hissing at it + combined with its ugliness... like the entire situation was traumatic but then i managed to get the Russian Blue away and some guy on my street whom i've seen one was like 'she's about to attack you' (about the Russian Blue) and then he was kind of rude/mean/degrading in the way he was speaking to me

i wish i can delete these 10 minutes from my life

That sounds like a very strange 10 minutes.
Do stuff you like. It should take your mind off it.
Original post by Ciel.
ptsd. after seeing an ugly cat. are you ****ing kidding me

i have yet to see one constructive comment from you on TSR, you're a very very angry person with issues
That sounds like a very strange 10 minutes.
Do stuff you like. It should take your mind off it.

Reply 14
i have yet to see one constructive comment from you on TSR, you're a very very angry person with issues

you need to look harder then.
Original post by Ciel.

i think you need to double your dosage (since you're always flaunting that around)

and maybe milk the last bits of money from your desperate boyfriend and gtfo

basically what you need is a revamp of your entire being and to stop projecting your mental problems on others online

you keep repeating these same things on TSR to attract attention and quite frankly no one caresssss, you don't have to keep shoving this info in our faces. people have told you that repeatedly but it seems like you keep doing it, you're like a pestering hazard tbh
Original post by Ciel.

you spit the facts when nobody else has the balls to do so. I respect that.
i think you need to double your dosage (since you're always flaunting that around)

basically what you need is a revamp of your entire being and to stop projecting your mental problems on others online

you keep repeating these same things on TSR to attract attention and quite frankly no one caresssss, you don't have to keep shoving this info in our faces. people have told you that repeatedly but it seems like you keep doing it, you're like a pestering hazard tbh

sheesh... and we are supposed to believe that ISNT projection? :dong:
Original post by 2_versions
you spit the facts when nobody else has the balls to do so. I respect that.

it's the 1-2 fans like you who keep him going lol

otherwise, not the biggest TSR fan base for this guy and criticism seems to follow him everywhere

i'm sure its the same in his real life, i'm very sure no one can stand him
Reply 19

what you need to do is get a life, your obsession with me is pretty unhealthy tbh. you always randomly quote me and make fun of the fact that i'm on medication, what's the point? jealous that my boyfriend likes to spoil me? aww.
clearly you care enough to stalk my posts instead of adding me to your ignore list, baby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending