The Student Room Group

A-Level Computer Science Project

Need ideas for the part "Programmed solution to a problem". An example is: Nanthouse Surgery is a busy General Practice based in a health centre in a small town. The practice currently has three doctors and two practice nurses, a practice manager and two receptionists.
A large housing development has recently been built near the surgery and there has been a significant increase in the number of patients registered with the practice. The extra workload has forced the doctors and the practice manager to reconsider the way in which the practice functions. The practice manager is keen to look at time saving solutions such as telephone and online consultations. These consultations would benefit both the doctors and the patients with diagnoses being provided without the patient having to travel to the surgery or the doctor visiting the patient at home. One of the doctors has an interest in the use of complementary therapies and feels that many of the patients would benefit from such therapies rather than repeated appointments with the doctors. She is considering the introduction of therapies such as acupuncture, nutrition, massage, aromatherapy, counselling and reflexology. Patients will have to pay for the complementary therapy treatments.
The practice has decided to go ahead with both new approaches.
initially all remote consultations will be online allowing the doctor not only to talk to the patient but to see any issues such as rashes or inflammation.
only two therapists will be involved in the system at the start, an acupuncturist and a nutritionist. Over time the range of complementary therapies will be expanded. The practice manager realises that this will impact on the booking system currently in use for patient appointments. It is essential that there is an effective system in place to ensure that all patients receive the care they need. The practice manager has asked me to develop a system that will include full booking facilities, maintain patient records and keep all sensitive patient data secure. He is particularly concerned that the amount of patient data available to the complementary therapists. The data should be relevant to the treatment being given and that they should not have access to a patient’s full medical history.
The practice manager has asked me to create a computer-based solution that will allow the administrative staff to:
enter and store personal details of each patient as they join the practice
add more complementary therapists
book appointments for patients including
o appointments with a doctor or nurses in the surgery
o consultations with a doctor online
o therapy sessions with one of the therapists
cancel appointments, consultations online and therapy sessions
send reminder emails or texts to patients on the day before their appointment
send letters, emails or texts to patients who miss an appointment
keep all sensitive information safely and securely
calculate the costs of complementary treatments
prepare individual invoices for the complementary treatments for each patient
The proposed computer-based solution must allow the doctors and nurses to:
read patients’ medical histories
enter details of consultations and medicines prescribed
record any referrals to hospitals or other services
record any tests that are needed such as blood tests
The proposed computer-based solution must allow the complementary therapists to:
read only patients’ medical records related to the treatment
record any treatments given to the patient
record the cost of each treatment session

Any other ideas?
Reply 1
Original post by Seebahkxxh
Need ideas for the part "Programmed solution to a problem". An example is: Nanthouse Surgery is a busy General Practice based in a health centre in a small town. The practice currently has three doctors an...

From your question I gather that this is regarding the Comp Sci NEA project? If so, you don't have to come up with all the details regarding the project just yet. First you should find a topic/problem which you might find interesting and fun to solve. The most common approach is to make a game from scratch, as a lot of Computer Science students want to try out game dev. I personally didn't go for that idea, but I know that many people did and got a pretty good mark.

Also, what language do you want to use for your project? Are you interested in solving a real life problem, or simply learn something new?
Hey, I need help I have this due in about a week and if you could provide help in any way it would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending