The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This may be me being dim, but why is Manchester's course code A106 and virtually all the other undergrad courses are A100?
Reply 41
Hey everyone - just wondering if anyone could give me an idea on whether I have a realistic shot at manc. I'm a graduate applicant.

Stats:
GCSEs 7A's 2B's
A Levels: Biology (A) Chemistry (A) History (A), however they were resat and I had ABB initally
Degree: History predicted 2:1
UCAT: 2740 SJT band 1
Reply 42
GCSEs:
9s in biology, chemistry, physics, maths
8s in D&T, English lang, German
7s in geography, English lit, religious studies

A levels:
AAA in bio, chem and maths for AS levels
Will only be able to see A level predictions when UCAS reference gets added, but teachers say I shouldn't go lower than AAA and looking at around A*AA/A*A*A for now

UCAT:
VR = 590
DM = 650
QR = 870
AR = 730
SJT = B1
Total = 2840, average = 710

Work experience: one week at dental centre in y10, BSMS virtual work experiene, Observe GP
Volunteering: over-60s lunch club multiple times for a year, volunteered at a flood camp for a month, hopefully will get volunteering place at local hospital before 15th Oct but not guaranteed

Contextual/WP flags: attended state school for secondary, POLAR4 quintile 3

My score is in the top 30% of UCAT scores so would I be guaranteed an interview? Cheers for the help
Reply 43
Original post by i.j.
GCSEs:
9s in biology, chemistry, physics, maths
8s in D&T, English lang, German
7s in geography, English lit, religious studies

A levels:
AAA in bio, chem and maths for AS levels
Will only be able to see A level predictions when UCAS reference gets added, but teachers say I shouldn't go lower than AAA and looking at around A*AA/A*A*A for now

UCAT:
VR = 590
DM = 650
QR = 870
AR = 730
SJT = B1
Total = 2840, average = 710

Work experience: one week at dental centre in y10, BSMS virtual work experiene, Observe GP
Volunteering: over-60s lunch club multiple times for a year, volunteered at a flood camp for a month, hopefully will get volunteering place at local hospital before 15th Oct but not guaranteed

Contextual/WP flags: attended state school for secondary, POLAR4 quintile 3

My score is in the top 30% of UCAT scores so would I be guaranteed an interview? Cheers for the help

No, nobody is guaranteed an interview. Manchester say they interview roughly the top 1/3 of UCAT scorers. They have never deviated much from that previously, though, so you should be OK
Reply 44
Original post by GANFYD
No, nobody is guaranteed an interview. Manchester say they interview roughly the top 1/3 of UCAT scorers. They have never deviated much from that previously, though, so you should be OK

Oh I just read it wrong, the top 1/3 is the scores from the 7th decile - 9th am I right?
Reply 45
Original post by i.j.
Oh I just read it wrong, the top 1/3 is the scores from the 7th decile - 9th am I right?

Well, from 66th centile up, strictly speaking, but top 7th decile up is probably close enough
Reply 46
Hey I’m a student who got into and passes the manchester access programme which means my entry requirements for medicine are cut lower. manchester university rejects all band 4 sjt applicants for medicine and while i had a high ucat score , i got a band 4 sjt. i have to apply really soon and they’re not returning my emails asking them wether i should apply or not . is it worth applying ? like on a whim that the map programme might allow the band 4 slot ? i don’t want to waste an application slot on UCAS . thanks for any advice . if anyone here was on MAP or another access programme do you know if you can defer the offer for entry requirement reduction to next year ?
Hello,is it risky to apply to manchester if got
9GCSE 9/8
2GCSE 7
UCat: 2700 band 2
Predicted A levels:A*A*A A
Reply 48
I am having last minute jitters about Manchester.

Does anybody know how important the Non Academic Form is as far as getting an interview is concerned? If someone's stats were good with a UCAT within the top 2 deciles and they messed up the NAI Form; is that the end of the road? Or is the NAI a decider for a tie break type situation?
(edited 3 years ago)
To be in the 7th decile this year you needed 2650. I got 2640, is that too risky do you think to apply to Manchester?

I’m pretty confident with all the other parts of the application (GCSEs, A levels, NAI, etc). I’m just not sure if this would be too risky. Does anyone have any idea what their ucat cut off may be this year?
(edited 3 years ago)
I have submitted my application - when do we fill in the NAI?
Reply 51
Original post by JoTheM
I am having last minute jitters about Manchester.

Does anybody know how important the Non Academic Form is as far as getting an interview is concerned? If someone's stats were good with a UCAT within the top 2 deciles and they messed up the NAI Form; is that the end of the road? Or is the NAI a decider for a tie break type situation?

The NAI is not routinely used in selection for those shortlisted via the UCAT route
Reply 52
Original post by Fernpolliks
To be in the 7th decile this year you needed 2650. I got 2640, is that too risky do you think to apply to Manchester?

I’m pretty confident with all the other parts of the application (GCSEs, A levels, NAI, etc). I’m just not sure if this would be too risky. Does anyone have any idea what their ucat cut off may be this year?

To be in the 7th decile this year, you needed 2590 to 2650. You are currently towards the top of the 7th decile
Hello, I posted in another group too about this but this may be easier. Will a score of 2590 band 1 be too low for Manchester? I believe they go through a holistic route for people who do not meet the threshold but I am worried this will be very risky. Any advice?
Reply 54
Original post by possibly.1.2.
Hello, I posted in another group too about this but this may be easier. Will a score of 2590 band 1 be too low for Manchester? I believe they go through a holistic route for people who do not meet the threshold but I am worried this will be very risky. Any advice?

Read through the thread for discussion about hte holistic route
Original post by GANFYD
Read through the thread for discussion about hte holistic route

I think I'm being stupid, but I cannot find it?
Reply 56
I think I'm being stupid, but I cannot find it?

Sorry, must have posted that somewhere else!
Essentially they are looking for high GCSE scores, extra A/AS levels, EPQ or similar, a reasonable UCAT and a good NAI, but they calim they do not have any points structure for any of these and 2 members of the Admissions Team literally sit down and decide amongst themselves who they like the look of. So subjective and hence risky, I would say, but depends on your other stats, how much you like Manchester, how risk averse you are and how safe your other choices are
Original post by GANFYD
Sorry, must have posted that somewhere else!
Essentially they are looking for high GCSE scores, extra A/AS levels, EPQ or similar, a reasonable UCAT and a good NAI, but they calim they do not have any points structure for any of these and 2 members of the Admissions Team literally sit down and decide amongst themselves who they like the look of. So subjective and hence risky, I would say, but depends on your other stats, how much you like Manchester, how risk averse you are and how safe your other choices are

I applied last year but I made a mistake on my form and got automatically rejected (they would not let me amend it). I'm actually applying as a mature student with and Access to HE Diploma so they ask for Eng Language and Maths grade B or above (thankfully mine are both A's) I do have other GCSE's but they only go off those two. I do also have a degree but I got a 2.2 so I checked with them to see whether I was still okay doing the Access to HE Diploma and they said yes (It was quite a long time ago).
I also had issues with the calculator this year so Pearson Vue are going to annotate my score (I know this will not sway a decision or very unlikely to) I did speak to Manchester Uni Admissions and they said they would take it into consideration.
Thankfully, I have a lot of experience working in a healthcare setting, I have also volunteered, done virtual work experience with one of the other medical schools.
I also already have my grades and nothing predicted but I don't even know if that is favourable for them or not.
Two members of their Admissions team only and they pick 500 students this way?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 58
Two members of their Admissions team only and they pick 500 students this way?

So they swear blind in FOIs!
Reply 59
Original post by GANFYD
The NAI is not routinely used in selection for those shortlisted via the UCAT route

Thanks Ganfyd - as ever. I have so appreciated your help in these last few weeks/months.

Latest