Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I've seen a lot of threads over the last few months asking the same thing. So here are some FAQs and some debunked myths!

GCSEs?

This is course dependent, but most (and top universities in particular) will ask for a B or equivalent in maths.

A-levels?

You do NOT have to have studied psychology at A-level or GCSE to make a competitive application. Around half of my cohort at UCL hadn't studied it before

Most (if not all) places will ask for one science subject at A-level (for most this includes psychology). For top places it is pretty much assumed you have two STEM A-levels

A-level psychology sucked

I often hear that people are put off a psych degree because of A-level psychology. Most of A-level is retention of facts and studies.

Uni is very different, there is a lot more critical analysis and much more advanced biology and chemistry basis to the brain as opposed to the quick summary that A-levels cover

I would recommend watch some online 1st year psych courses (YouTube is great for this ) to get an idea what psychology at uni is about and if you think you'll enjoy it

Psychology as a science and a PS tailored to Freud

There are some really good FAQs from my fellow lovely psychologists on TSR, so won't go over their material, but I did want to make a few points. Check them out here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6213912

Psychology IS science and you will not be studying psychoanalysis of therapy skills as an undergraduate. Referencing these in a PS is pretty much a no no. Also with PS, acknowledgment on the scientific nature of psychology will probably go down well

BPS approved? BSc or BA?

If you want to pursue a career in psychology, your undergraduate degree needs to be BPS accredited.

BA should be avoided for the above reason, unless it is specific to the institution (e.g. all Cambridge courses are a BA)

Work experience?

Firstly, not needed. A well written PS is far more valuable. Yes if you choose to do go down the clinical route they ask for experience, but this full-time, paid and under a psychologist, volunteering for Samaritans doesn't really count towards a DClinPsych application.

Secondly, getting relevant experience, say working in a hospital is incredibly hard for 18s.

Which course?

If BPS accredited, all universities will cover the same topics. Where it differs:
- Cambridge is a tripos system where you do papers in a number of other modules such as education and sociology
- some places (UCL for example) allow 2/3 modules a year outside of psychology
- most places for third year modules and dissertation will be flexible with modules and topics

I'm crap at maths!

Me too! Don't worry, maths in a psych degree is all stats based. This means very little theory of maths and more computational stuff, so how to run tests on SPSS and interpret the data

How do I prepare before my degree?

You don't! There's a reason why most places won't chuck a reading list at you in the summer - you need rest between A-levels and 1st year to just chill.

If you really want to get ahead then I would recommend as above some online lectures, or learn how to 'read' a journal article. You won't be using textbooks too much after 1st year (even not that much in first year too)
Last edited by Noodlzzz; 1 year ago
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
artful_lounger can I ask for a cheeky pin of this thread?

Please let me know if so
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
artful_lounger can I ask for a cheeky pin of this thread?

Please let me know if so
stickied
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely agree the whole accreditation bit is an FAQ at the moment! Maybe there needs to be a bit more info on what this means (I'm thinking post-grad more so than undergrad but that might be out of the scope of this FAQ!)

You could link to the PS writing guide for psych too

Thanks for writing this!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Definitely agree the whole accreditation bit is an FAQ at the moment! Maybe there needs to be a bit more info on what this means (I'm thinking post-grad more so than undergrad but that might be out of the scope of this FAQ!)

You could link to the PS writing guide for psych too

Thanks for writing this!
Thanks for the feedback! have added the PS thread in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (23)
27.38%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
9.52%
No I am happy with my choice (48)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
5.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise