The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews vs NYU

I am a Chinese student who has been studying in the states for two years. New York University made me an offer in computer engineering. St Andrews offered me a place in management science, although I applied for computer science and management science.

I have been told that both of them are great colleges. Even though I know there are more internship opportunities in New York, I am inclining to choose St Andrews for their teaching quality. However, I don't want to face the struggle of not being able to get a job after graduation.

Which one should I choose?
(edited 3 years ago)
Ultimately, I think you should be weighing up not only the teaching quality and job opportunities, as you have, but also the courses you got accepted into. Computer engineering and management science are two very different degrees, and I think you should focus on which job opportunities and career paths can come from each of the degrees - which will help you in making your decision.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! You are right. I asked around and they told me that I can change my major after I get into either of these colleges.
Reply 3
I am a Management major undergrad at St Andrews so hopefully, I can give you some insight.

The first 2 years of Management are kinda boring if I am honest and as a Management Science student you are required to take them. Some are essay-based and some are numerical, which you will probably find very simple if you are considering Comp Sci. In 3rd/4th year Management modules get a lot more interesting, and Management is still interesting for the most part, and not particularly difficult. Although, if I am correct, for Management Science student you must take Maths modules, which I don't have much knowledge about I am afraid.

For Comp Sci, it is a very tight-knit cohort and a lot of my friends who study Comp Sci at St Andrews love it. There is a lot of course work and labs but everybody I know enjoys the course.

Teaching quality is very high in St Andrews and even as a student you can recognise that with rigorous assessments. Employability probably won't be an issue for you with a joint degree in Management Science and Comp Sci from St Andrews- both are very reputable at St Andrews and both are very good subjects.

You should really consider what career you would like to go into because Engineering is very different from what you would study in St Andrews- there is not even an engineering department/school in St Andrews!

Also, it does not matter if they offered you only Management Science as you can pick Comp Sci up once you begin your studies. St Andrews is super flexible and you could change your degree entirely once you arrive if you change your mind.

The US university culture compared to the UK vastly different so you should probably do some more research to see what you would prefer. However, there is a lot of American's studying at St Andrews as well as Chinese students.

You should also consider do you want to stay in a small coastal town in Scotland or New York!

They are both amazing choices, best of luck!

Edit:

Here are undergraduate Management modules on offer, you will have to take some of the 1000 and 2000 modules.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2019-2020/Management%20-%201000%20&%202000%20Level%20modules.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by leoq8
I am a Management major undergrad at St Andrews so hopefully, I can give you some insight.

The first 2 years of Management are kinda boring if I am honest and as a Management Science student you are required to take them. Some are essay-based and some are numerical, which you will probably find very simple if you are considering Comp Sci. In 3rd/4th year Management modules get a lot more interesting, and Management is still interesting for the most part, and not particularly difficult. Although, if I am correct, for Management Science student you must take Maths modules, which I don't have much knowledge about I am afraid.

For Comp Sci, it is a very tight-knit cohort and a lot of my friends who study Comp Sci at St Andrews love it. There is a lot of course work and labs but everybody I know enjoys the course.

Teaching quality is very high in St Andrews and even as a student you can recognise that with rigorous assessments. Employability probably won't be an issue for you with a joint degree in Management Science and Comp Sci from St Andrews- both are very reputable at St Andrews and both are very good subjects.

You should really consider what career you would like to go into because Engineering is very different from what you would study in St Andrews- there is not even an engineering department/school in St Andrews!

Also, it does not matter if they offered you only Management Science as you can pick Comp Sci up once you begin your studies. St Andrews is super flexible and you could change your degree entirely once you arrive if you change your mind.

The US university culture compared to the UK vastly different so you should probably do some more research to see what you would prefer. However, there is a lot of American's studying at St Andrews as well as Chinese students.

You should also consider do you want to stay in a small coastal town in Scotland or New York!

They are both amazing choices, best of luck!

Edit:

Here are undergraduate Management modules on offer, you will have to take some of the 1000 and 2000 modules.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/publications/coursecatalogue/undergraduate/2019-2020/Management%20-%201000%20&%202000%20Level%20modules.pdf

I was worried about changing my subject, and now it's good to know that it can be done. I'll weigh in other aspects you mentioned as well.
Thank you for your information!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending