Jasmine_09
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How hard is spanish as an a level? In terms of the text and film, is the choice given to you or do the teachers choose? If so, which would you say is the easiest to understand and interpret?
confused127
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm still doing my GCSEs but my brother told me it's just as difficult for Spanish-speaking people as English A levels would be for English-speaking people. He didn't do Spanish though, and he's not a Spanish-speaking person so this might not be very helpful
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jasmine_09)
How hard is spanish as an a level? In terms of the text and film, is the choice given to you or do the teachers choose? If so, which would you say is the easiest to understand and interpret?
I took AQA Spanish 2 years ago. Your teacher will pick your text and film, as they will want to pick works they know and feel they can teach well - our teacher was really into magical realism, so we did Como Agua Para Chocolate (which would...really not have been my first choice)
The difficulty of a subject is going to be subjective - MFL are known for being hard as native speakers take them, driving up the grade boundaries, and because you have to put a lot of work in outside class hours, learning vocab, conjugations, phrases, quotes etc, and immersing yourself in Spanish culture (I spent 20mins each day reading El País, for example) You'll also have an oral presentation on a topic of your choice to prepare which adds to the extra work. You have to be dedicated if you want to do very well.
MFL are also 'hard' as people often take them without realising there is a significant literary component, and you have to enjoy literature and film analysis. I found one of the hardest things was learning how to discuss films critically and bring in things like the kind of shot or the colours used - I'd just never worked with film before, and you're actually expected to use critical vocabulary and technique to a high standard.
That said, I really really enjoyed Spanish and it absolutely is do-able! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
26.05%
Less motivated (88)
73.95%

Watched Threads