AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,
I hope you all are well.

I was just wondering, in your opinion, which is the best exam board for studying A-level History? (in terms of the syllabus and content, resources, past papers, textbooks, revision guides, online resources, mark schemes, easy/hard and any criteria you wish to talk about!)

I initially thought that AQA was the most popular A-level History Exam Board, but I don't think it really is.
I have applied to 6 Sixth Forms and of those, 3 do Pearson Edexcel and the other 3 do OCR. (none of them do AQA or WJEC Eduqas).
Hence if you don't mind, feel free to tell me your favourite exam board for A-level History, even if it is not the one you study.

Many thanks and take care!
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,
I hope you all are well.

I was just wondering, in your opinion, which is the best exam board for studying A-level History? (in terms of the syllabus and content, resources, past papers, textbooks, revision guides, online resources, mark schemes, easy/hard and any other criteria you wish to talk about!)

I initially thought that AQA was the most popular A-level History Exam Board, but I don't think it really is.
I have applied to 6 Sixth Forms and of those, 3 do Pearson Edexcel and the other 3 do OCR. (none of them do AQA or WJEC Eduqas).
Hence if you don't mind, feel free to tell me your favourite exam board for A-level History, even if it is not the one you study.

Many thanks for your help and take care!
BethRandell16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AchyutChaudhary)
Hi all,
I hope you all are well.

I was just wondering, in your opinion, which is the best exam board for studying A-level History? (in terms of the syllabus and content, resources, past papers, textbooks, revision guides, online resources, mark schemes, easy/hard and any criteria you wish to talk about!)

Many thanks and take care!
Hi! Year 12 History A-Level here. My exam board is OCR. I haven't experience History under other exam boards but I thought I could tell you about my experience with OCR?

I take three-essay based subjects and History is the only one under OCR (AQA for the other two). Obviously they are not the same subject, but in general OCR mark schemes are easier for me to read and understand. The essays are easier to structure.

I'm not sure about the other exam board choices but I know under OCR there are some interesting ones. I am doing Imperial Russia, Late Tudors, and the American Civil Rights Movement, but I know the Witch Trials are also an option for schools. The coursework is school-by-school determined but mine has allowed students to write it up on whatever they want.

Just my two cents on History OCR
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean, they are basically the same, but I've found that OCR has far more example essays available, which has been helpful for me.
Zimzalabim
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I studied Edexcel history for GCSE and I should have completed the A-level exam this year. I think that Edexcel has the most accessible resources including sample papers and textbooks.
In terms of the papers themselves I like that every question on all 3 papers is worth the same amount of marks though question types differ. I studied Germany, rise of fascism in Italy and the British Experience of Warfare.
Paper 1: Q1: single time period e.g. Weimar Q2: longer time frame e.g. Nazi and early frg. Q3. Interpretation Q. Sources are a revisionist and structuralist historians interpretation. The type of question is limited e.g. with Germany it was limited to influence of other nations, Hitler being a strong individual, influence of the past etc.
Paper 2: Q1: 2 sources for 1 question usually from somebody around that time e.g. For Fascist Italy the sources could be Mussolini and his mistress Margherita with a question about the March on Rome. Q2: Its the same as q1 on paper 1 as paper 2 is a shorter time period that paper 1 and 3.
Paper 3: Q1: 1 source used to show 2 things e.g. How can the source (a letter by the Duke of Wellington) show his attitude towards his men and problems he faced in the war. Q2: like q1 on paper 1 (one time period) q3: something over the whole period e.g. The shift from sail to steam was the biggest devopment during this time frame.
Every question offered 2 options excluding the source questions. I think that edexcel questions are all worded in a simple manner while I've found that aqa tends to overcomplicate theirs. One of my teachers in another subject pointed this out too. Truthfully with edexcel once you learn a certain structure you're guaranteed marks. When I started year 12 I achieved around 12 marks but in all my recent mocks my marks for each question were 18-20 because I had learnt the simple structure.
Oh I just remembered coursework! Its worth 20% - the same as paper 2. It's 4000 words internally assessed and externally moderated (just not this year). You can choose the topic though in some sixth forms the teachers suggest questions for students to use and there is a limit to how much help they can provide e.g. no written feedback. Some of us in my class achieved A* on our coursework despite our teachers harsh making because we used the structure we had been taught to get LV5 answers.
I think it's better to look at the topics you will be studying rather than the exam boards and see which topics you will enjoy as edexcel has different 'routes' so if you study Germany and West Germany for paper 1, paper 2 must be either fascism in Spain or Italy as they share the theme of nationalism.
I don't think that there's a particular examboard that is better than the other as long as you can adapt your writing style to their marking criteria.

Good luck next year 😊
Plarble
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like the member above said they are all pretty much the same. I would not choose based on exam board but on content.
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd agree. The content is the most important part. Even if different exam boards have different question styles, they're all basically testing the same skills.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do AQA and other local school some of them do AQA. I think edexcel is most popular but not sure. I dont have a favourite one they literally all the same to me. I like AQA with their resource list and their oxford aqa endorsed books but I dont know anything about the other boards to rate it. There's not a lot of examboard specific resources anyway so the content you learn is probably the deciding factor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
32.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.88%
No I am happy with my choice (19)
55.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed