The Student Room Group

My dad said the unis I got into - Bristol & Edinburgh - are 2nd rate. Are they?

I have offers from (among others) Bristol and Edinburgh. I'm really proud to have been given a place at both, including a reduced offer at one of them. However, my dad seems to think it's not good enough. He says they're both second-rate universities. Sure, they're not Oxbridge, but I always thought they were good. What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Just say you didn't want a second rate father either, but here we are.

On a serious note, be proud of yourself, I'm sure you worked hard to get those places.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you.
Yeah, my dad just seems to think if I don't achieve the best I haven't achieved anything.
Both are great, and both can get you into top jobs if that’s what you desire, congrats!

I’m a current Bristol student so if you have any q’s just let me know ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by lawcalling
Both are great, and both can get you into top jobs if that’s what you desire, congrats!

I’m a current Bristol student so if you have any q’s just let me know ☺️

Thank you, that's very kind :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you.
Yeah, my dad just seems to think if I don't achieve the best I haven't achieved anything.

Wow your Dad must be awesome, you know, with his Oxbridge Professorship, sub 2 hour marathon time and £100k+ salary 😉 neither Bristol nor Edinburgh are second rate and hearty congratulations on your offers! 🥳
Reply 6
I'm careers advisor, so I'll be bluntly honest. Yes, they are second-rate unis.

But that doesn't mean that they are terrible. If you feel like your most suited to Bristol or Edinburgh, please go for it :smile:

I'm curious - as a careers advisor, how do you distinguish between first-rate and second-rate unis?
Reply 7
Original post by Lit-Lover
Wow your Dad must be awesome, you know, with his Oxbridge Professorship, sub 2 hour marathon time and £100k+ salary 😉 neither Bristol nor Edinburgh are second rate and hearty congratulations on your offers! 🥳

Haha, thank you :smile:

But that doesn't mean that they are terrible. If you feel like your most suited to Bristol or Edinburgh, please go for it :smile:

As a career adviser would you advise going to Bournemouth university, or is the degree not worth the paper it's printed on? (Going there because it's the only university I can get into with my current grades.)
Thank you.

I am sorry that your father thinks tbis way of you. That’s ofc not true and I bet you already know , but honey I wouldn’t even possibly get into collage because I can barely do well for exams and study, so you are the best . I am proud of you and good luck ❤️ and like others said, your opinion should only matter. By the end , you can judge what you like or not and if you thinks it’s good for you then go ahead, what matters is how YOU feel and where you want to be .
Original post by Larsa8N9
I am sorry that your father thinks tbis way of you. That’s ofc not true and I bet you already know , but honey I wouldn’t even possibly get into collage because I can barely do well for exams and study, so you are the best . I am proud of you and good luck ❤️ and like others said, your opinion should only matter. By the end , you can judge what you like or not and if you thinks it’s good for you then go ahead, what matters is how YOU feel and where you want to be .

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I worked hard to get into these unis and my teachers thought they were apt for a bright student. I'm proud of my offers and only wish my dad was, too. I also wish you the best of luck :smile:
Second-rate lmaoo, guessing your dad is an oxbridge elitist
I have offers from (among others) Bristol and Edinburgh. I'm really proud to have been given a place at both, including a reduced offer at one of them. However, my dad seems to think it's not good enough. He says they're both second-rate universities. Sure, they're not Oxbridge, but I always thought they were good. What are your thoughts?

Where did your dad go?
Original post by 999tigger
Where did your dad go?

LSE
Bit harsh to say this. Parents are not generally in the know about what universities are good, with only quite vague ideas of how they compare, so can often be ignored. Sorry to hear he's been so discouraging.
LSE

So what are you after ? You wont change his mind.
Does he mean it or is it in jest?
Did Oxbridge or LSE offer you a place?
Are you sure he's not having a 'dad joke' with you and you're taking it too seriously?
solid unis that will get you far in life, provided you execute your part of the bargain obviously

Who on earth made you a career advisor?
LSE

So what are you after ? You wont change his mind.
Does he mean it or is it in jest?
Did Oxbridge or LSE offer you a place?
If you say what you are after then we can advise.

Give us an insight into your dad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending