St.Andrews vs Durham for psychology

Watch this thread
doppelherz
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've recently heard back from all universities I've applied to, and have been quite lucky to receive an offer from both Durham and St. Andrews. Durham's collegiate system appeals to me and I prefer its location over St. Andrews', yet St. Andrews seems more globally renowned and I've heard about the flexibility when choosing modules to take. I'm torn between them and would appreciate some thoughts from y'all. Thanks in advance!
pocrates
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I had the option between Durham and St Andrews too. I chose St Andrews (not for Psychology though, so I can't comment on that subject specifically).

1. I thought the St Andrews town was nicer than Durham.
  2. I really like the course flexibility at St Andrews. I have been able to choose modules from different departments that interest me.
  3. I don't know much about Durham's collegiate system, but there's certainly many traditions at St Andrews that may give a similar feel (such as academic families).
  4. If by location, you mean Durham's less isolated location, that's obviously true. However St Andrews is a short train journey to Edinburgh, from which you can get to many cities in the UK (and Europe from Edinburgh airport).

In the end I chose between my offers based on:
  • The course syllabus - which was better, most rigorous, and interested me the most.
  • Which place did I feel I would fit in best and like the most (you kind of have to just go off your instincts).
  • Where it ranked in the UK league tables?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads