The Student Room Group

Which one to choose for Medicine- Charles Faculty 1 or Charles HK

Hi hope you all are safe during this pandemic..
i am an international student who has offers from two faculties of the
Charles university- First & HK..

which one would be a better choice?

Thanks! stay safe!
I don't have any experience with any of these personally (still in high school) but bear in mind that Hradec Králové is much smaller than Prague, so it will have much less opportunities for international student and it will also probably have less international students (generally, as a city). But on the other hand, Prague is more expensive. I am from Czech Republic, but i don't have much interest in medicine, so feel free to ask me if there is something i can help you with :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
hi! thanks for your resonse! could the city life in prague be in any way a disturbance for studying there?hope you're well in the present circumstances..take care..
I am well, COVID-19 situation is okay here in czech republic,thank you, i hope you are well, too :smile:

About your question... It depends. It is true that Prague has quite active nighlife. But it is not a HUGE city, so i don't think it would be any disturbance as long as you don't live above a club/bar/pub. Also, lot of it depended on tourists. When i was going through Prague in the evening/night, i mostly heard English, so i think the number of clubs/bars/pubs will go down a bit. I think it depends on your personal preference. And also on how easily you get distracted. Bear in mind that thousands of students manage to study in Prague and balance study and fun just fine. I would personally choose Prague, if i was in your place, but i am also 17 year old czech who lived in a small village her entire life and now wants desperately live in a big city :biggrin:.
Hey, I just received confirmation on the First Faculty Admission, I think I prefer that over Masaryk, anyone else in a similar situation?
Reply 5
Original post by Sarthak Modh
Hey, I just received confirmation on the First Faculty Admission, I think I prefer that over Masaryk, anyone else in a similar situation?

i did not receive a confirmation yet..
even if i do, i am now thinking of opting for HK Faculty as i feel i'd be more comfortable in an environment like that
and after research, i found out that there is no serious advantage that a LF1 graduate has over a LFHK graduate
except maybe bigger campus ; many facilities available close by in city like more shops, more malls, and more places to get indian goods from ;
some english speaking nurses and maybe more patients (but more patients and more students balances out) at the hospital ; better speciality centres and a little more stress (or the stress level could be equal at both places).. most benefits of being at LF1 are only benefits of LF1 being in a city..
the workload seems to be a little bit higher at LF1 when i compared the syllabi of the two faculties..but again i'm not sure if they actually teach all that is mentioned in the syllabi..

however, on the other side, LFHK also has its own perks.. HK is a beautiful student town, calmer, quieter and peaceful.. i personally like the location more than a city with regard to studying..
HK being a newer faculty is investing into building more buildings.. it currently has 3 buildings where studying takes place and 1 hospital which is better than most hospitals in even UK.. in terms of job prospects abroad; teaching quality and teaching experience wise; facilities like lab and other equipments, it seems to be at par with Faculty 1..
There are ug job fairs that take place at LF1 at prague and other faculty students are always welcomed & a lot of HK students attend those if they wish to..
HK Hospital also has seperate buildings for seperate specialities..although, the best centres for relevant specialities may be found at prague, i've heard it doesnt make much of a difference unless you wish to be a doctor in Czech republic or go into research field..and i also heard that HK has great research potential too..

Overall, HK faculty seems like a faculty with lesser students ( lesser student to teacher ratio), lower or equal drop out rate, lower or equal stress and it seems more appealing to my personality who would not be able to thrive in a louder, crowded and maybe more stressful place..
Both come under the Charles uni and graduates get the same degree after 6 years journey..
i would personally prefer a route that is even slightly less stressful but gives the same outcome..
although, i heard being at LF1 challenges you in every way and makes you better at managing and handling things.. prepares you for the real world ig (quoting what a graduate of LF1 told me)

i will take a final decision tomorrow regardless of whether we receive the confirmation by tomorrow or not as HK payment deadline is 28th May..

wishing you the best at Faculty 1!!

it would be great if you replied to my reply with a summary of your research in the past few days as well..
take care!!
Reply 6
Original post by kcrane
even if i do, i am now thinking of opting for HK Faculty as i feel i'd be more comfortable in an environment like that
and after research, i found out that there is no serious advantage that a LF1 graduate has over a LFHK graduate
except maybe bigger campus ; many facilities available close by in city like more shops, more malls, and more places to get indian goods from ;
some english speaking nurses and maybe more patients (but more patients and more students balances out) at the hospital ; better speciality centres and a little more stress (or the stress level could be equal at both places).. most benefits of being at LF1 are only benefits of LF1 being in a city..
the workload seems to be a little bit higher at LF1 when i compared the syllabi of the two faculties..but again i'm not sure if they actually teach all that is mentioned in the syllabi..

however, on the other side, LFHK also has its own perks.. HK is a beautiful student town, calmer, quieter and peaceful.. i personally like the location more than a city with regard to studying..
HK being a newer faculty is investing into building more buildings.. it currently has 3 buildings where studying takes place and 1 hospital which is better than most hospitals in even UK.. in terms of job prospects abroad; teaching quality and teaching experience wise; facilities like lab and other equipments, it seems to be at par with Faculty 1..
There are ug job fairs that take place at LF1 at prague and other faculty students are always welcomed & a lot of HK students attend those if they wish to..
HK Hospital also has seperate buildings for seperate specialities..although, the best centres for relevant specialities may be found at prague, i've heard it doesnt make much of a difference unless you wish to be a doctor in Czech republic or go into research field..and i also heard that HK has great research potential too..

Overall, HK faculty seems like a faculty with lesser students ( lesser student to teacher ratio), lower or equal drop out rate, lower or equal stress and it seems more appealing to my personality who would not be able to thrive in a louder, crowded and maybe more stressful place..
Both come under the Charles uni and graduates get the same degree after 6 years journey..
i would personally prefer a route that is even slightly less stressful but gives the same outcome..
although, i heard being at LF1 challenges you in every way and makes you better at managing and handling things.. prepares you for the real world ig (quoting what a graduate of LF1 told me)

i will take a final decision tomorrow regardless of whether we receive the confirmation by tomorrow or not as HK payment deadline is 28th May..

it would be great if you replied to my reply with a summary of your research in the past few days as well..
take care!!

i'd like to tell the readers on this platform.. do not rely on my research.. do your own research when you are in this position and decide what suits you the best! happy learning!
Original post by kcrane

take care!!

Did you check the website for updates on LF1? I think that you summed it up pretty well and for these reasons I believe myself to be more suited for LF1, overall, I've heard students saying that six years in HK becomes tough, but I understand how some people can find it suitable for them and be comfortable, I think I like it more in places such as Prague and Brno.

Original post by kcrane
i'd like to tell the readers on this platform.. do not rely on my research.. do your own research when you are in this position and decide what suits you the best! happy learning!

That is very true, independent research will let you discover stuff which we disregard because it was unimportant to us and turns out to be a significant aspect for others
Reply 8
Original post by Sarthak Modh
Did you check the website for updates on LF1? I think that you summed it up pretty well and for these reasons I believe myself to be more suited for LF1, overall, I've heard students saying that six years in HK becomes tough, but I understand how some people can find it suitable for them and be comfortable, I think I like it more in places such as Prague and Brno.

That is very true, independent research will let you discover stuff which we disregard because it was unimportant to us and turns out to be a significant aspect for others

actually i'm fine with cities too.. i've lived in dubai for the most part of my life..
infact, i am aware that living in HK will be challenging because of limited options and facilities available in city..looking at the brighter side of it, it is also a beautiful study place
i'm more concerned about how LF1 is more challenging and has a larger number of students and i personally would go to a uni like LFHK..
but as you said, it is all about personal preference! what suits everyone is different!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending