Moving schools in Year 11 and changing some of my GCSEs - Urgent!!

Watch this thread
LittleJenny13
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Everyone!

I am currently in Year 10 and I am considering moving school next year. The school I'm moving to has most of the GCSEs with the same exam boards, so I don't think moving will be too much of an issue.

However, for Geography, their exam board is AQA, while the one I'm currently studying Edexcel. Will this be an issue? Is it easy to transition between the two? Can anyone offer any advice for studying and preparing for Geography AQA? Will the fieldwork be different?

Also, at the new school, they also offer subjects like Media studies and Psychology which I've always wanted to do, but my school never offered. If I pick up these subjects in Year 11, will it be tough catching up over the summer? Would I be able to handle it - or will it affect my GCSE grades negatively?

Should I not pick up any GCSEs at all? Even though I'm very passionate about them?

Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm kinda freaking out.
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I’m not sure about the other subjects since I didn’t choose them but I can help you for Aqa geography if you want
average_human
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If you're passionate about the subjects, then go for it!
LittleJenny13
Rep:
(Original post by Yazomi)
I’m not sure about the other subjects since I didn’t choose them but I can help you for Aqa geography if you want
That means so much to me!! Any general advice/resources you have would be amazing. Thank you
LittleJenny13
Rep:
(Original post by average_human)
If you're passionate about the subjects, then go for it!
But what if I fall flat on my face?
username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I believe they have similar content despite being different exam boards. It’s definitely doable! Just buy the AQA geography revision guide and use that for revision and it should be simple enough. As for choosing a new subject I would recommend avoiding it. In year 11 it is mainly revising content you have already learned, so you would have to catch up on almost the entire course content! Although if you feel competent enough, go for it! I did GCSE psychology and loved it, and achieved an 8
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleJenny13)
That means so much to me!! Any general advice/resources you have would be amazing. Thank you
Mmm the only thing is different people have different sections that they struggle with so like case studies was the worst for me and it’s the only set of notes I’ve actually written out, I can sent you a picture if you want in the morning but for physical side, I imagined each process as a story
LittleJenny13
Rep:
(Original post by blueberrybowl)
I believe they have similar content despite being different exam boards. It’s definitely doable! Just buy the AQA geography revision guide and use that for revision and it should be simple enough. As for choosing a new subject I would recommend avoiding it. In year 11 it is mainly revising content you have already learned, so you would have to catch up on almost the entire course content! Although if you feel competent enough, go for it! I did GCSE psychology and loved it, and achieved an 8
Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely get started on geography AQA revision as soon as possible
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Be aware that the subjects you wish to study may not work in the new school's timetable - for instance, where I am, separate Sciences and RE are compulsory plus you have to pick at least one language and one from History/Geography, leaving less room for other options that you're hoping to do. Also, even if the exam board is the same, they may teach topics in a different order so you may re-do something next year you've already done but miss something else completely. It's not impossible to swap schools for Year 11, but you need to be really organised in working out what's possible and what you need to catch up on.
LittleJenny13
Rep:
(Original post by Compost)
Be aware that the subjects you wish to study may not work in the new school's timetable - for instance, where I am, separate Sciences and RE are compulsory plus you have to pick at least one language and one from History/Geography, leaving less room for other options that you're hoping to do. Also, even if the exam board is the same, they may teach topics in a different order so you may re-do something next year you've already done but miss something else completely. It's not impossible to swap schools for Year 11, but you need to be really organised in working out what's possible and what you need to catch up on.
You're right - timetables are an issue. But I've already sorted out each option block with the school that I'm moving too. You make a very good point about the order of topics, though. I'll have to check with the school and make sure the topics are the same. Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads