The Student Room Group

English degree preliminary reading?

I am going to be applying for English lit with creative writing this year, and as I'll be on a gap year, I want to get a good amount of reading done!

Can any English students suggest some slightly less popular classics that are commonly studied/good background reading for an English lit degree (such as The Invisible Man, HG Wells or Carmilla, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu)?

Hi!

What you should be reading is very dependant on the university that you'll be going to, and the modules that you'll be taking.

I currently study English literature and Drama at Anglia Ruskin University, and there is a range of different modules which all have different materials. At my university our library service has an online function that generates a predicted reading list by module, (usually on the university website, on the course page, there is information about the modules you'll be taking.) Perhaps that is something that you can look into?

Another good idea would be to just to read anything and everything. Chances are when you start, you're going to have to do a lot of reading so you can just get yourself into the habit of reading a lot of material in a short space of time. Also there's no guarantee that you'll have time to read leisurely, so I would actually suggest you to read some books for fun before you get all serious with uni reading lists...

Some of the classics that I had to read are things like: Paradise Lost, Northanger Abbey, the Pilgrims Progress, Beowulf, Anthony and Cleopatra etc. A good majority of the texts I've studied don't actually fall under 'classic' canonical texts. But like I said this is very much dependent on the module, university, teaching materials that your university/ lecturers may use and even the course that you're doing.

Don't worry too much! Everyone really stresses out in the beginning especially in the months before starting University but you will be OK, and you will get through it! It might not even be as difficult as you think it'll be!!

Hope this was helpful,
Zoe
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi!

What you should be reading is very dependant on the university that you'll be going to, and the modules that you'll be taking.

I currently study English literature and Drama at Anglia Ruskin University, and there is a range of different modules which all have different materials. At my university our library service has an online function that generates a predicted reading list by module, (usually on the university website, on the course page, there is information about the modules you'll be taking.) Perhaps that is something that you can look into?

Another good idea would be to just to read anything and everything. Chances are when you start, you're going to have to do a lot of reading so you can just get yourself into the habit of reading a lot of material in a short space of time. Also there's no guarantee that you'll have time to read leisurely, so I would actually suggest you to read some books for fun before you get all serious with uni reading lists...

Some of the classics that I had to read are things like: Paradise Lost, Northanger Abbey, the Pilgrims Progress, Beowulf, Anthony and Cleopatra etc. A good majority of the texts I've studied don't actually fall under 'classic' canonical texts. But like I said this is very much dependent on the module, university, teaching materials that your university/ lecturers may use and even the course that you're doing.

Don't worry too much! Everyone really stresses out in the beginning especially in the months before starting University but you will be OK, and you will get through it! It might not even be as difficult as you think it'll be!!

Hope this was helpful,
Zoe

Thank you! I found the reading lists for my first choice uni, but only some of the texts are listed :/
At the moment, I'm reading classics/set texts in the day, and spending my evenings enjoying easy fiction reads - its a good system so far :smile:
Original post by litstudent30
I am going to be applying for English lit with creative writing this year, and as I'll be on a gap year, I want to get a good amount of reading done!

Can any English students suggest some slightly less popular classics that are commonly studied/good background reading for an English lit degree (such as The Invisible Man, HG Wells or Carmilla, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu)?

Hi there, have you read John Williams' 'Stoner'? It's the perfect modern classic to read for someone who's about to do a joint Lit and Creative Writing degree. :smile:
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hi there, have you read John Williams' 'Stoner'? It's the perfect modern classic to read for someone who's about to do a joint Lit and Creative Writing degree. :smile:

Ooo no I haven't, but I shall check it out, thanks!
Original post by Hyperbolit

Michale Chabon's "Wonder boys" may be a better bet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending