The Student Room Group

How to buy safely from Shpock app?

Want to buy a game of this guy but he wants me to pay him through paypal first and then drop the adress once i've paid.

I then said "i dont want to get scammed"

He said I can always make a claim even through paypal family and friends.

I'm not sure if this si true because I don't use PayPal or Shpock much and Idk if I can make a claim. It seems like quite a lot of users though try to use this paypal way instead of shpock intergrated payment?
Why not just pay through shpock and get it delivered. Its quick, simple and is great from a buyers perspective. If he disagrees, just walk away or do some more research.
Original post by hugo_holland
Why not just pay through shpock and get it delivered. Its quick, simple and is great from a buyers perspective. If he disagrees, just walk away or do some more research.

Thats what I want to do but he doesn't want to do that? idk why? He insists on paying through paypal :c
Original post by AlwaysBroke.
Thats what I want to do but he doesn't want to do that? idk why? He insists on paying through paypal :c

Scam - walk away.

PayPal "friends and family" offers you no protection whatsoever, it's meant to be used for people you trust (ie; close friends, family).

I personally avoid anybody on Gumtree offering to pay via PayPal. If you hand over goods in person you have no protection, and if you post it properly (ie; proof of postage) it's too easy for fraudsters to get a "chargeback" claiming it never arrived or was in poor condition/broken (pocketing your property in the process).

---

My advice would be to only accept cash, or a bank transfer via mobile on the doorstep (which you then check straight away!).

Quick Reply