Can Someone rate my sociology essay introduction?

Watch
tyler.ldn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
“The main function of the education system is to promote meritocracy”

‘Meritocracy’ is a concept that defines our input directly corresponds to our output. Functionalist school of thought suggests this concept runs through the veins of the education system in its purest form. Therefore as meritocratic values are core to the establishment, functionalists argue the primary function of education is to actively endorse meritocracy. Adversely, Marxian/Feminist philosophy express the promotion of meritocracy is neither a primary or minor function in education, but reciprocally a absent function. In its’ replacement is evidently flourishing classist/patriarchal forces in our schools that block the promotion of meritocracy. Whilst it may be true our schooling system has a degree meritocracy, a credit to a standardized examination system, functionalism fails to interpret meritocracy is not a pure and singular concept. Aligning to Marxian/Feminist schools of thought, meritocracy is combined with other socio-economic factors. Strong Statistical data evidences this, where there is ironic pattern of achievement from group to group. Therefore as there isn’t a true meritocracy in our education system, how can promoting a meritocracy be a primary function in the education system?
Sameera2020
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Okay I recieved an 8 in my sociology mock and it looks way more detailed than any of the introductions I've ever written and shows a wide range of knowledge.
However, for the actual exam, I do advise not to go into this much detail if it's just for the introduction paragraph as the actual marks will be gained throughout the rest of the essay and you may waste time on the intro.
Hope this helps.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why have you created this same thread multiple times? At any rate youd get a better response posting it in the study help forum.
Adam 77
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
k but whats the question exactly and how much marks is it for exactly? your answer will be dependent upon marks in the exam!

(Original post by tyler.ldn)
“The main function of the education system is to promote meritocracy”

‘Meritocracy’ is a concept that defines our input directly corresponds to our output. Functionalist school of thought suggests this concept runs through the veins of the education system in its purest form. Therefore as meritocratic values are core to the establishment, functionalists argue the primary function of education is to actively endorse meritocracy. Adversely, Marxian/Feminist philosophy express the promotion of meritocracy is neither a primary or minor function in education, but reciprocally a absent function. In its’ replacement is evidently flourishing classist/patriarchal forces in our schools that block the promotion of meritocracy. Whilst it may be true our schooling system has a degree meritocracy, a credit to a standardized examination system, functionalism fails to interpret meritocracy is not a pure and singular concept. Aligning to Marxian/Feminist schools of thought, meritocracy is combined with other socio-economic factors. Strong Statistical data evidences this, where there is ironic pattern of achievement from group to group. Therefore as there isn’t a true meritocracy in our education system, how can promoting a meritocracy be a primary function in education system?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (451)
14.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (425)
13.91%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.63%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.39%

Watched Threads