The Student Room Group

Chemistry,Biology,Computer science or Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Maths for medicine

Which is the better option
Have you looked at the Am I good enough for Medicine Uberthread?
Both would be fine for med schools, as you have Bio and Chem. Cambridge then uniquely prefers Maths or a third science.
Typically, med applicants are advised to only take 3 A levels, as med schools don't care, but you might if you miss your offer!
@Dave Pete

Do 3 A levels and your 3rd subject can literally be anything that will get you the best possible mark. This can be Maths, Religious Studies, Computer Science, French etc - absolutely anything.

For Medicine, these are what you have to prioritise: 1) best possible grades in 3 A levels, 2) great personal statement, 3) work experience or volunteering somewhere related to the medical field, 4) practicing interview skills, and 5) doing well on whichever medical aptitude tests you choose to take.

I repeat: stick with 3 A levels (Bio + Chem + 1 A level that will motivate you to get a good mark). Again, 3rd A level can be practically anything - you will not have an advantage in doing a 3rd science subject.
PRSOM! :h:
Reply 4
You have Biology and Chemistry which is great - the third can be anything as you have the essential A-levels. Also, I wouldn't advise you to do 4 A-levels as the workload is heavy, and both Biology and chemistry are very intense. It would be better to do 3 and focus on doing really well in them, rather than split your attention between 4.
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
@Dave Pete

Do 3 A levels and your 3rd subject can literally be anything that will get you the best possible mark. This can be Maths, Religious Studies, Computer Science, French etc - absolutely anything.

For Medicine, these are what you have to prioritise: 1) best possible grades in 3 A levels, 2) great personal statement, 3) work experience or volunteering somewhere related to the medical field, 4) practicing interview skills, and 5) doing well on whichever medical aptitude tests you choose to take.

I repeat: stick with 3 A levels (Bio + Chem + 1 A level that will motivate you to get a good mark). Again, 3rd A level can be practically anything - you will not have an advantage in doing a 3rd science subject.

Thanks. It was really helpful
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
Have you looked at the Am I good enough for Medicine Uberthread?
Both would be fine for med schools, as you have Bio and Chem. Cambridge then uniquely prefers Maths or a third science.
Typically, med applicants are advised to only take 3 A levels, as med schools don't care, but you might if you miss your offer!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest